"xxxxxx Subscriber Special" type videos

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
So I know some YouTubers like to make special videos when they reach a certain milestone in their Subscriber Count. I've kinda been interested to see what everyone's opinions are on these type of videos?

I think they are a cool way to thank and engage your audience but at the same time I can see them coming off as "click baity" in nature just to flood in some extra subscribers that might not have happened organically.

Thought, opinions, remarks?

Also, if you do like these style videos, what are the type of wild things you like to see people do in them? I am nearing 50 subscribers and I am collecting ideas. [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Seansie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I enjoy these as long as there aren’t too many of them...if that makes sense. Basically it should be a big milestone (although that can mean different numbers for everyone). I also enjoy when there’s a similarity between all of the milestone videos. Like this one YouTuber I watch counts sprinkles per sub and pours them on a cake. You can imagine how much work it was when he started getting into the higher numbers
But it’s entertaining and I look forward to it because he makes the videos funny while also thanking us. I’m not a fan of milestone videos where all they do is thank you and sort of turn in circles during the video as they express their thanks. I appreciate it, but I also wouldn’t mind if they put in some effort to make a montage of all their past videos or turn that montage into a music video. Heck anything will do as long as it’s not super long.
Congrats on almost reaching 50!

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
I agree with what Seansie said. If it's too often it can be off-putting to normal subscribers. But it's nice to see every once in a while. Personally, I love to look back at the ones bigger youtubers posted celebrating their first 1000 and seeing where they are now. It's inspiring and interesting.

Reactions: Spence Bailey

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
Great feedback. I appreciate the honesty. I admit that I would probably get annoyed too if the content creator uploaded a milestone video for almost every upload.

I have a few milestones that I have in mind if I ever get that big and it would probably be; 50, 100, 250, 500, 750, and 1000.

After that I probably would do it for much larger gaps at a time. But again, I don't think I'll ever make it quite that big. [emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I would say its still knuckle down time and work as hard as you can can to put out some good content. Maybe at 500 .. not 50. Just my thoughts anyway. Maybe only 25 people will watch it! Its not evergreen, and its a waste of time you could be employing elsewhere.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I wouldn't do anything for less than 500 subs. It just makes no sense. I really don't care about that kind of thing regardless, especially for people who do things entirely outside of their niche for these special videos. That's not why I'm watching you, sorry.

BrettTaylorYT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I like these types of videos when the creator does something entertaining. I hate the ones where they just sit in front of the camera and basically say “thanks for subscribing I couldn’t do this without you bye” so maybe doing something out of the ordinary. Similar to what Seansie said (I too watch that YouTuber, his name is theodd1sout if you want to check out his milestone videos) about doing a unique things for the milestone videos. I also agree with everyone else in thinking 50 might be too small of a milestone... I know it’s all personal but to me I think the first BIG milestone is 100. Then after that 500. Then 1,000. I feel if you do them too often it will fill up your channel and people won’t want to subscribe since all you do is milestone videos. Since you do Lego videos maybe you could do something involving that! Build something cool only using 50 pieces! Or something funny you could try is pour a bunch of legos on the ground and see how far you can walk across them in 50 seconds or if you have to bail out before then. Something similar would be put 50 pieces on the ground and walk on them (because everybody knows how horrible it is to step on a lego piece. Imagine having to step on 50 individual pieces). You could building a giant “5” “0” out of legos and knock it down or do a time lapse of you building it or something like that!

Travis McP

Reaction score
I have a plan for when I hit 10k subs (about 60 days from now!). There is a reason for it so I'm going to make it a special, almost vloggy type video (unusual for me since I'm a tech channel so it'll stand out). I already know only my subs will watch it, but that's ok because that is who it is for. :)

Justine

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Personally, I like milestone videos but in moderation. I did a 300 subscriber special where I played a game that I have some pretty bad memories with (spoiler, its now one of my favorite games) but thats because I did a lot of gameplay videos back then and I recently did a 420 subscriber special because I have a little thing I do with my friend on my channel where we partake in some drug usage and then record some stuff! I'm tryna think of a 1,000 subscriber special at the moment but yeah, as long as you do it in moderation and for major stuff then you'll be fine!

Seansie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I think the first BIG milestone is 100. Then after that 500. Then 1,000. I feel if you do them too often it will fill up your channel and people won’t want to subscribe since all you do is milestone videos. Since you do Lego videos maybe you could do something involving that! Build something cool only using 50 pieces! Or something funny you could try is pour a bunch of legos on the ground and see how far you can walk across them in 50 seconds or if you have to bail out before then. Something similar would be put 50 pieces on the ground and walk on them (because everybody knows how horrible it is to step on a lego piece. Imagine having to step on 50 individual pieces). You could building a giant “5” “0” out of legos and knock it down or do a time lapse of you building it or something like that!
As others and Brett have mentioned, it may not be the best idea to do so many milestone videos. Definitely make milestone videos! They are great for ensuring subscribers you are thinking of them and that you appreciate them. I’m just worried that you may get bogged down with having too many milestone videos (which it’s great you’re hitting that many milestones, but that’s a lot of videos. It may make their significance weight less the more you make them...if that makes sense. Of course each subscriber is important. They are what help and encourage you to grow as a content creator and do what you enjoy. However, if they are suggested 3 of your milestone videos and one of your usual content as the videos playing next in the queue, they may be a bit turned away).

Brett has some great ideas for your video though! Definitely make in memorable. That’s something I’m struggling to determine myself. Really think about it because it may be something you do in each milestone video and that can get into the big numbers.

Good luck in your decision! In the end, you are the channel creator, so do whatever you think is best for the channel. Our opinions shouldn’t be the final say, yours is.