Xiamoi Yi 4k software?

EvaUnitRoss

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I had been using a GoPro for a couple years and I liked GoPro Studio for video editing. That is the only video editing experience I have. I do outdoors videos while hiking. Unfortunately I lost my GoPro in a mini-avalanche, so I bought a Xiaomi Yi 4k to replace it. The Yi 4k produces three types of files for each video shot. These are .MP4, .THM, and _thm.MP4

I have two questions:

1. When I play the videos on my computer, using VLC Media Player the .MP4 files look the clearest but play very choppy.
The _thm.MP4 files play fine but look kinda poor quality.
The .THM files are not video files. Can anyone explain to me the differences between these file types?

2. What video editing software can I use to turn these files into movies?

I really appreciate any and all suggestions! Thanks!

EvaUnitRoss

Reaction score
I'm not opposed to it if its awesome and is the right program to edit those types of files on. I just can't find anything online telling what programs can work with the Yi 4k's files. I feel like I need to live in China to make this work lol
PS DON'T buy this camera

Andie_the_Lab

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
the Yi4K is great, we don't personally use it because we have the hero 5,6 and 5 sessions. But Sean Cannell actually just made a review of it during CES -

there are plenty of youtube tutorials on filming with it, but anything like Final Cut Pro X or Adobe Premiere will be able to handle your video.

The real question is if your computer has enough power to handle 4k processing.

EvaUnitRoss

Reaction score
ok cool ,thank you. Filming with it extremely easy. I was just disappointed that in 2016 I can buy a $400 camera and somehow that doesn't include any instructions, product support or customer support.

Andie_the_Lab

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
ok cool ,thank you. Filming with it extremely easy. I was just disappointed that in 2016 I can buy a $400 camera and somehow that doesn't include any instructions, product support or customer support.
the gopro wasn't any easier - they have a GPR file that can only be read in Adobe, but we use Final Cut Pro .... its all the same, the Yi is what it is, a decent 4k video camera. They aren't going to teach you anything in the back because a company like that is operated on the bare minimum to get a cheaper product out.

Hell, the A6500 and Canon SL2 we bought were equally as confusing - thankfully there are plenty of youtube tutorials.

Andie_the_Lab

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
this isn't a win or lose situation! it's more about what you're looking to do and how you want to do it :)

i think alot more creators use Adobe Premiere because that's what schools usually use. So it'd be easier to learn. Final Cut Pro does some AMAZING things, but it has been harder to learn

your 4k video will be accepted, but you can even look up "what Yi4k settings for Premiere" for example.

EvaUnitRoss

Reaction score
I use my cameras exclusively for fun. I didn't go to school for this and it has nothing to do with my career. GoPro comes with software that is easy to use and there is product support, customer service, etc. As far as I can tell Xiamoi doesn't have a website we can access in the US and there is NO product/customer support. That's all I'm saying. If you wanna argue about it, do it in your head cuz I'm tired of the retorts.

Andie_the_Lab

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There was no retort....what are you talking about?

I was simply giving you suggestions based on the assumption that you were asking a community designed for social media influence / progression.

Yi has a forum why not just ask there then?