X Days to D day where do you stand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have already made the requirements, so I'll continue to earn pennies per day, hooray!

Reactions: Boris Qs

Redford1900

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I would eventually make the 1000 subs but the hours requirement is way out of reach. I just wish I could access the $91 the channel has earned but the payment threshold is $100. I manage a channel for a non profit animal shelter. They could use the money.

Last edited:

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well I've watched about 20 or so videos on the new reqs. From what I can see there are 2 camps:

1. The large creators (>100k subs) and "gurus" and service provides (like VidIQ) who are saying this is pretty much the best thing since sliced bread

2. The small (<1k subs and way less than 4k hours) creators who feel they are being singled out, rejected and booted from the YPP, that their hard work and the small albeit dedicated communities they've built mean jack s**t to Yt.

My take on the above 2 positions:

1. These changes are in the best financial interest of large monetized creators. Cut the few ads served on several million small channels/day and you have tens of millions of ads that now will allocated to the large monetized channels. A win for the big boys. The rich get richer. The poor get poorer. Not to mention that many will perhaps feel disillusioned and quit, hence redirecting more ads to larger channels.

2. I got 2 of the "you're being booted out of the YPP" emails too. They are crude. They discount the hours and hours of hard work that's been put into the channels. They also discount the fans and community built. Yes, the channels make $1/day, but that's not the point. The point is being a "partner', ie in a mutual and respectful relationship. Yt unfortunately has a very long way to go to understand the meaning of a mutual partnership.

Nova Kids

Reaction score
I think it’s too bad, I get the need to screen channels but it seems like there would be a better way to do it. Lumping in the people with a small but dedicated fan base who have had a channel for months or years and have uploaded a lot of content along with the ones who just joined last week and are uploading someone else’s popular stolen videos is insulting and doesn’t give any recognition to the hard work that smaller creators go through.

This model would be seriously objected to in the real world. Like, I’m a nurse. Most of my full-time coworkers in our busy unit do tons of overtime and probably clock 50 or 60 hours a week. I used to too. Then we had kids and now I just fill in for lunch breaks and sick days. I average 4 to 6 hours a week. Obviously I don’t do it solely for the (very small) income, but if my boss said “we’re not going to pay you unless you start hitting 20 hours a week” you’d better believe I’d be out of there! Hard work should be compensated, no matter the quantity, especially when another person or entity is benefiting from it!

Iain

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think it’s too bad, I get the need to screen channels but it seems like there would be a better way to do it. Lumping in the people with a small but dedicated fan base who have had a channel for months or years and have uploaded a lot of content along with the ones who just joined last week and are uploading someone else’s popular stolen videos is insulting and doesn’t give any recognition to the hard work that smaller creators go through.

This model would be seriously objected to in the real world. Like, I’m a nurse. Most of my full-time coworkers in our busy unit do tons of overtime and probably clock 50 or 60 hours a week. I used to too. Then we had kids and now I just fill in for lunch breaks and sick days. I average 4 to 6 hours a week. Obviously I don’t do it solely for the (very small) income, but if my boss said “we’re not going to pay you unless you start hitting 20 hours a week” you’d better believe I’d be out of there! Hard work should be compensated, no matter the quantity, especially when another person or entity is benefiting from it!
I hear what you're saying, but I think you're fundamentally missing a major point.

As a nurse (and huge kudos and respect to you for doing such an important job!) you sign a contract and you have a job to do. You're trading your skills and time for an agreed amount of remuneration, and that includes overtime payments and other benefits.

However, with YouTube, it's a little bit different. It's a service that allows you to host your videos on it. They provide the technical framework and ability, and bring a lot of eyeballs to the platform. In return, you can use it to host your videos for free.

However, if you make them money through advertising at a certain level, then they've said they'll share some of that revenue with you if you meet their criteria. That criteria's never promised to remain static. YouTube is free to vary it to meet their business and platform needs, and we are all free to change our minds and not use the platform if we don't wish to.

There is no entitlement to just say, YouTube - you're making money so we, as users must make money too. That would be like demanding ad revenue from Facebook as a user of Facebook because FB is making ad revenue.

However, the partner program does exist - and it's great that it does. The criteria bar used to be lower, but with more channels and more users comes more risk, both through sheer volume of programming but also through people trying to stand out and / or build celebrity and ego. That risk has to be mitigated by YouTube in order to protect, yes, their own business - but in doing so it protects the platform for all of us - YouTube/Google, viewers, creators and advertisers alike.

The world is changing. Online services change. YouTube changes. If something, anything in life, stands still then it withers and disappears.

Whilst I understand why some may be disappointed in this news, especially if they were close to partnering, I think that they miss the fact that the YouTube opportunity and platform is still serving them. It's still enabling them to engage with the community and fanbase that they've built, and it's still allowing them to grow that fanbase. If monetisation is an issue, then there are multitudes of other ways to achieve that that are waaay more lucrative than what you would have gotten by meeting the lower end of the old criteria.

In fact, it may do some people a favour because they may explore those other methods of monetisation earlier than they would have by pinning hopes on the partner programme at the lower end of the critiera?

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I’ve been around a while so I’m above the line. My opinion is probably unpopular but I think setting the bar high will force the pretenders to quit and let the determined step up and shine
I get your point but a little motivation would have helped. Not many small youtubers reach the adsense threshold so the ones that actually withdraw the money are the serious ones.[DOUBLEPOST=1518630955,1518630845][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm above the line, but I don't really care.
I mainly make Nintendo videos, so those are already not monetizable by default.
Creativity is all that counts... the money can come later[DOUBLEPOST=1518631172][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would eventually make the 1000 subs but the hours requirement is way out of reach. I just wish I could access the $91 the channel has earned but the payment threshold is $100. I manage a channel for a non profit animal shelter. They could use the money.
We all love watching dogs....just keep on going and in no time you will hitting the watch time mark ...Good luck[DOUBLEPOST=1518631398][/DOUBLEPOST]
The point is being a "partner', ie in a mutual and respectful relationship. Yt unfortunately has a very long way to go to understand the meaning of a mutual partnership.
Agree... That's not a way to breach the partnership

Nova Kids

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying, but I think you're fundamentally missing a major point.

As a nurse (and huge kudos and respect to you for doing such an important job!) you sign a contract and you have a job to do. You're trading your skills and time for an agreed amount of remuneration, and that includes overtime payments and other benefits.

However, with YouTube, it's a little bit different. It's a service that allows you to host your videos on it. They provide the technical framework and ability, and bring a lot of eyeballs to the platform. In return, you can use it to host your videos for free.

However, if you make them money through advertising at a certain level, then they've said they'll share some of that revenue with you if you meet their criteria. That criteria's never promised to remain static. YouTube is free to vary it to meet their business and platform needs, and we are all free to change our minds and not use the platform if we don't wish to.

There is no entitlement to just say, YouTube - you're making money so we, as users must make money too. That would be like demanding ad revenue from Facebook as a user of Facebook because FB is making ad revenue.

However, the partner program does exist - and it's great that it does. The criteria bar used to be lower, but with more channels and more users comes more risk, both through sheer volume of programming but also through people trying to stand out and / or build celebrity and ego. That risk has to be mitigated by YouTube in order to protect, yes, their own business - but in doing so it protects the platform for all of us - YouTube/Google, viewers, creators and advertisers alike.

The world is changing. Online services change. YouTube changes. If something, anything in life, stands still then it withers and disappears.

Whilst I understand why some may be disappointed in this news, especially if they were close to partnering, I think that they miss the fact that the YouTube opportunity and platform is still serving them. It's still enabling them to engage with the community and fanbase that they've built, and it's still allowing them to grow that fanbase. If monetisation is an issue, then there are multitudes of other ways to achieve that that are waaay more lucrative than what you would have gotten by meeting the lower end of the old criteria.

In fact, it may do some people a favour because they may explore those other methods of monetisation earlier than they would have by pinning hopes on the partner programme at the lower end of the critiera?
Yeah, you’re right. There’s no entitlement due to creators. That’s a risk of using a platform like YouTube or amazon that can change its requirements whenever they deem it most profitable for them. It just seems very demotivating, especially when combined with the new AI bugs that are causing demonetization of videos that aren’t inappropriate. It feels like being kicked while you’re already down.

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hard work should be compensated, no matter the quantity, especially when another person or entity is benefiting from it!
:ugo:[DOUBLEPOST=1518631818,1518631634][/DOUBLEPOST]
Good point.... the other methods of monetisation will pay more than the 0.05$ that one makes from adsense anyways.

Nova Kids

Reaction score
Also, just because legally they CAN do something, doesn’t necessarily mean they SHOULD do it. It solves a lot of their problems, but there are other viable solutions too that would still appease the advertisers while not feeling so dismissive to smaller creators.

Iain

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yeah, you’re right. There’s no entitlement due to creators. That’s a risk of using a platform like YouTube or amazon that can change its requirements whenever they deem it most profitable for them. It just seems very demotivating, especially when combined with the new AI bugs that are causing demonetization of videos that aren’t inappropriate. It feels like being kicked while you’re already down.
I hear ya! And I understand why it's demotivating.

But you have two options:

1) Let it affect you and get you down, and therefore affect the passion for your channel and videos....

or

2) Appreciate that you've got this awesome platform, for free, with the opportunity to build a community and add value to other people's lives. (Go look up the cost of alternatives like Vimeo or even web hosting suitable for video and all the tech knowledge you'd need for the web hosting - that don't have the built-in eyeballs that YouTube does...) --- Then understand that a few dollars from the lower end of the YT partner programme isn't really that big a deal, and once you hit that you have an audience that other monetisation will work for, and probably allow you to reap better benefits from.... Then know that the YT platform will be stronger for these changes, so if/when you do meet the criteria, YT will be in a better place to serve you...

In short: become the victim, or own your own destiny. The choice, as they say, is there for all of us to make. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.