Wow some people are so fake

Patrick Harris

You see what I did there?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I don't have to call out anyone by name, but I'm sure you guys have seen this in threads before. I see this quite a bit in the "meet the YouTubers" and "Introduce yourself" sections.

Someone will join the forum and not really know what to say. They can't post links yet, but the forum is nice enough to provide a link to your channel for you anyway. For the most part, people jump on and say "hello, welcome to YTtalk" or "I checked out your channel, nice!" Its all very welcoming, right?

But then you get the shameless self promoters who post a reply saying "welcome, check out my channel. Link in my sig. Subscribe, I'm sure you'll like my channel. Thanks"

Seriously?

The poor sap just got here and you're plugging your channel? I'll be honest, I scroll through the threads and I try to say hello and welcome to everyone who joins, but thats all you really need to do. Yes, your link is in the sig. Yes, the person who made the thread wills see it. If it interests them, they'll click it and have a look. Most of us even have a VIDEO in our sigs. So why go through the motions of telling someone to check you out in their intro thread?

Yes, I know a lot of us will make a new video and post a quick thread about it to spread the word. Thats fine. But when it comes to the new members first coming to the site, give them a minute to breathe before you're bombarding them with links to your YT, FaceBook, Tumblr and Twitter accounts. Trust me, the average person knows how this works. You have to give to get, and if someone finds your profile pic and link interesting enough, they'll check you out about you telling them to 16 times. Quite frankly, if someone shoves it down my throat like that, I'm less likely to click the link even if I am interested in your channel.

The moral to the story is... ease up a little and let the new guys have a look around before you try to peddle your channel off on them.

jake weber

Check out my Partnered Channel!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I don't have to call out anyone by name, but I'm sure you guys have seen this in threads before. I see this quite a bit in the "meet the YouTubers" and "Introduce yourself" sections.

Someone will join the forum and not really know what to say. They can't post links yet, but the forum is nice enough to provide a link to your channel for you anyway. For the most part, people jump on and say "hello, welcome to YTtalk" or "I checked out your channel, nice!" Its all very welcoming, right?

But then you get the shameless self promoters who post a reply saying "welcome, check out my channel. Link in my sig. Subscribe, I'm sure you'll like my channel. Thanks"

Seriously?

The poor sap just got here and you're plugging your channel? I'll be honest, I scroll through the threads and I try to say hello and welcome to everyone who joins, but thats all you really need to do. Yes, your link is in the sig. Yes, the person who made the thread wills see it. If it interests them, they'll click it and have a look. Most of us even have a VIDEO in our sigs. So why go through the motions of telling someone to check you out in their intro thread?

Yes, I know a lot of us will make a new video and post a quick thread about it to spread the word. Thats fine. But when it comes to the new members first coming to the site, give them a minute to breathe before you're bombarding them with links to your YT, FaceBook, Tumblr and Twitter accounts. Trust me, the average person knows how this works. You have to give to get, and if someone finds your profile pic and link interesting enough, they'll check you out about you telling them to 16 times. Quite frankly, if someone shoves it down my throat like that, I'm less likely to click the link even if I am interested in your channel.

The moral to the story is... ease up a little and let the new guys have a look around before you try to peddle your channel off on them.
Very well said! :p

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Promoting is only welcome within your own intro, the promo forum and meet our youtubers and social media promotion please report promotion elsewhere as people can use their sigs and the proper forums for that :)

Sent from my mobile

VlogRays

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have seen it so much...its usually deleted by the staff here quick. I agree I mean how are you going to try to promote your channel like that. Sometimes they don't even say anything about whatever the thread was originally posted for. Just "Cool stuff...check out my channel" It just stamps PATHETIC all over you and your channel when you do that in my opinion. I understand that's the only reason why some people are here but for f**k sakes leave it in the promotion forum.

Patrick Harris

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I have seen it so much...its usually deleted by the staff here quick. I agree I mean how are you going to try to promote your channel like that. Sometimes they don't even say anything about whatever the thread was originally posted for. Just "Cool stuff...check out my channel" It just stamps PATHETIC all over you and your channel when you do that in my opinion. I understand that's the only reason why some people are here but for f**k sakes leave it in the promotion forum.
Thats my problem with it. Sure I want to promote my channel, get more views and subs, but thats not the ONLY reason I'm here. I'm proud to say that since joining this site I have met 2 people who I think will eventually become very good friends. It should just as much about the interaction with others as it is about promotion.

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
To be honest its things like this that makes me want to change the forum up a bit so people dont assume its a free for all, open to spam site, I think its the promotion banners and our google indexed title as to why they could think that. In the meantime though it is best reporting any "check out my channel" within peoples posts so we can remove it, we do understand when its relevant but when its welcoming someone and saying check my stuff or whatever then it is obvious the post was made for the sole purpose of promoting.

Reactions: VlogRays

Pearl

Sleepyhead~
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
I hate that. I used to blog about my cartoon before, but I just deleted the whole s**t.
12 year olds would only comment and say "Nice pictures! Comment back?" - "Agree. Visit my blog!" - "Cool blog! Check out mine!"

It f*****g demotivated me in so many ways, because it is obvious that they don't even read the god damned post. I wanted to find then and make a horse kick their heads.

Reactions: Michael

Isceneashley

TheISceneAshley
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree with this forum 100%. I don't believe I have ever promoted my channel on another forum other than the promotional forum. It does get annoying when it is like that. Even in the chatrooms some of the new people will just be here to promote their own channel and not take a look at anyone else's channels. I love this site purely because of getting to meet new people and see their inspirations. I just hope that as new people come on, they will take the time to get to know the other people of the site, such as keebzy, rogue, symphonius, foreveraloneprick, Vic, and quite a few others that I have met on here that seem interesting to me.

Patrick Harris

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I agree with this forum 100%. I don't believe I have ever promoted my channel on another forum other than the promotional forum. It does get annoying when it is like that. Even in the chatrooms some of the new people will just be here to promote their own channel and not take a look at anyone else's channels. I love this site purely because of getting to meet new people and see their inspirations. I just hope that as new people come on, they will take the time to get to know the other people of the site, such as keebzy, rogue, symphonius, foreveraloneprick, Vic, and quite a few others that I have met on here that seem interesting to me.
I checked out your channel and subbed. I do suggest though that you don't do your videos and say "sorry this isn't very good". Its kinda discouraging. But I will be checking you out to find out whats going on with work and school for you.

JostenVlogs

I Vlog Everday On Youtube
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
When I see someone just post a thread saying to check me out without really interacting with others shows me why they are really here. But it's just something that'll end up weeding itself out afterwhile. Succeeding on youtube is networking with other youtubers and helping each other out.