Would You Still Watch And Support A Small YouTuber Who Has This Issue

ItsBecky

Internet Idiot who loves making people laugh
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
If you discovered a small youtuber who does good content but doesn't have good equipment would you still watch their videos?

The reason I am asking is because I feel like people don't want to watch my videos as my equipment isn't very good, I own a tripod and a microphone which is good quality, but my camera doesn't autofocus very well, and has awful AGC giving this horrible hiss in the background.

Therefore sometimes my videos through no fault of my own I find out are a tiny bit out of focus, or the hiss is still really loud despite my microphones best efforts.

My video I did today had all these problems, and I feel very unconfident in it, but it was so long and took hours to export so I didn't want to refilm it as I wanted it to go up today, and due to my equipment there would be no guarantee it would be any better

Of course a decent camera is in the hundreds which I cannot afford right now, same with an autofocus lens, but as I have a microphone now I feel my biggest issue of my videos is mainly sorted, and everything else I am in no hurry to buy

But anyway on to the question at hand once again, would you still watch and support a small youtuber despite the fact their audio and/or video quality isn't brilliant but they do good content anyway?

Reactions: JayPlaysOfficial

JoycelynsLife

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Equipment doesn't really matter unless it affects viewing a lot. Nowadays smartphones are good enough to create content.

Just a little Psychology...
According to Lombard and Ditton (1997), they ranked presence in videos is affected by visual, aural, followed by text. The better quality (and other factors) it is, the better and more engaged the viewers can get.

Anyways, I watched your S8 video on my desktop monitor, Macbook and phone, all in full screen. The focus wasn't quite noticeable but definitely, something feels weird. I would still watch on.

Yes, I would still watch and support a small YouTuber despite the fact their audio and/or video quality isn't brilliant but they do good content. Don't feel discouraged because of these technical faults :)

Just curious, may i know what camera you are using and what are the settings currently for it (such as Auto or Manual, Auto-focus or not, etc.)? What's your editing process like and your video export settings too?

Reactions: ItsBecky

ItsBecky

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Equipment doesn't really matter unless it affects viewing a lot. Nowadays smartphones are good enough to create content.

Just a little Psychology...
According to Lombard and Ditton (1997), they ranked presence in videos is affected by visual, aural, followed by text. The better quality (and other factors) it is, the better and more engaged the viewers can get.

Anyways, I watched your S8 video on my desktop monitor, Macbook and phone, all in full screen. The focus wasn't quite noticeable but definitely, something feels weird. I would still watch on.

Yes, I would still watch and support a small YouTuber despite the fact their audio and/or video quality isn't brilliant but they do good content. Don't feel discouraged because of these technical faults :)

Just curious, may i know what camera you are using and what are the settings currently for it (such as Auto or Manual, Auto-focus or not, etc.)? What's your editing process like and your video export settings too?
thankyou for your honesty, every video is hit and miss with me, it depends how close I am to the microphone when I film, which I admit in this one I wasn't as close hence why the audio sounds strange.

Sometimes a video will go really well in every way but they are the ones that never seem to get views haha!

I currently own a 600D which is known to have really bad AGC, I have autofocus on and the sound turned right down on the camera, but in post production the hiss comes back really loudly, and the autofocus will not work when doing videos.

I use premiere pro to edit, sometimes my videos look fine on premiere pro then I export them and they come out louder, and look and sound worse then they did when editing, I normally export as H.264 its what I have always done for a while now

I have friends who are smaller then me, there equipment isn't good at all, but they do good videos and it just takes being discovered, that's another reason why I asked this question :)

datguyonYT

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I just watch non mainstream channels, I even watch videos of people who have like 20 / 30 subs.
as long as their content appeals to me I don't care if they don't have a super high quality mic or camera.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Because I do recipe videos every week, I follow a lot of cooking channels, and quite a number of them have cameras that are....really, really bad. They frame shots terribly, the sound is awful, the proportions are all cut off because they're filming in an outdated mode, and they have a lot more subscribers than I do.

The main thing that says to me is that quality of video can count for a lot, but it's not everything. Being able to focus on the thing that you do and making sure you're consistent, staying on your own "brand" and that the information you give or the entertainment you provide is something people want is always going to trump anything technical that goes on.

JayPlaysOfficial

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
tbf, half the time, i don't even notice what equipment they have haha! if i like someone or i think they are funny, i can watch them all week! if they make good quality videos then i don't mind at all :D

Famous

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Content is always more important than gear... do you subscribe to any channels simply because they use a Canon 70D? Having said that, nothing is more annoying than someone with an autofocus camera rocking back and forth while the camera hunts to try and keep focus. No matter the content, it makes the videos unwatchable.

Your gear is good though, which makes your issues easy peasy to fix! The biggest is, like in your "What's On My Samsung s8 2017" video, your camera is focused on your nightstand, not you. Turn off your autofocus, put something roughly where you'll be seated when you film and manually set the focus until that item is sharp and crisp. Then, when you sit in that spot, you'll be sharp and in focus! Next... either speak up, or take your Rode off your hot shoe and set it up closer to you. I prefer the former, but should you choose the latter, make sure it's pointed directly at your face so the sound doesn't get attenuated. The point for either is to make your voice more audible, not only so people can hear you better but mostly so you can use.... noise reduction! With your voice louder than the background noise/hiss you can use the noise reduction tool in Premier to get rid of those annoying hisses and such. At that point your video/audio quality should no longer be an issue.

Having said that... your Rode did make a huge improvement in the sound quality of your videos, good purchase!

ItsBecky

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Content is always more important than gear... do you subscribe to any channels simply because they use a Canon 70D? Having said that, nothing is more annoying than someone with an autofocus camera rocking back and forth while the camera hunts to try and keep focus. No matter the content, it makes the videos unwatchable.

Your gear is good though, which makes your issues easy peasy to fix! The biggest is, like in your "What's On My Samsung s8 2017" video, your camera is focused on your nightstand, not you. Turn off your autofocus, put something roughly where you'll be seated when you film and manually set the focus until that item is sharp and crisp. Then, when you sit in that spot, you'll be sharp and in focus! Next... either speak up, or take your Rode off your hot shoe and set it up closer to you. I prefer the former, but should you choose the latter, make sure it's pointed directly at your face so the sound doesn't get attenuated. The point for either is to make your voice more audible, not only so people can hear you better but mostly so you can use.... noise reduction! With your voice louder than the background noise/hiss you can use the noise reduction tool in Premier to get rid of those annoying hisses and such. At that point your video/audio quality should no longer be an issue.

Having said that... your Rode did make a huge improvement in the sound quality of your videos, good purchase!
The funny thing is i did two test runs of filming, and focused it fine! and at the beginning it is in focus! But after i got up to show my screen, the camera was back out of focus again.

I didnt even think of taking my mic off my camera and having it closer to me, apart from having it lie on my bed have no idea where else to put it!

Yes i love my mic and it was the best purchase i made my audio is so much better, im just dissappointed how this one came out thats all!

Thankyou for watching though! I think i will splash out on a new camera at some point rather then getting a new lens as the AGC is still awful no matter what.

Thankyou for all your comments guys :)

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
No. I would not. A good video and good production skills go hand in hand. Someone may have less than perfect equipment but if they aren't able to cover that up then there's very little chance that he or she will be able to make interesting videos otherwise

Lizzeelive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah I would still watch! If they have a personality I like I stick around!