Would uploading non edited 2 min videos daily be worthwhile?

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am kicking around a new idea. Basically doing bare bones vlog style videos everyday. I would still do the extended videos summarizing my larger projects, but I would like to push more content out quickly.

I spend a half hour in the garage every morning doing something to my car and may try to film it and upload the same day. Do you think this will help or hurt in the long run?

Reactions: videoeditgr

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I´m doing unedited 2-3 min videos, but then the quality of my videos isn´t that good!
It might be a good idea to edit out the eventual awkward pauses.
But the again, youtube might prefer to upload daily, So I don´t know, I guess it depends on the quality!

Last edited:

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You should try it, but make sure your quality doesn’t go down when you upload those unedited videos.

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would say it is worth it just for the experience. People either want knowledge or be entertained... or both. The more often you do it, the faster you gain the experience of how to present what they want. Edited videos are always better quality, but take much more time.

Your field may be a bit trickier since anything involved with working on cars can take a very long time. No one wants to watch someone turning screws for 20 minutes straight. What may work for you is how you the present it. Present the problem/issue, the plan, and then the result:

Problem: Someone wants a cheap way to increase power and efficiency.
Plan: Install new air intake, MAF, throttle body, etc.
Result: Increased dyno numbers, mpg, etc.

The benefit of something like this for you is that it is still easy for you to shoot, and minimal editing (probably just one video added to another). The benefit for the viewer is that it can keep them engaged for the short duration since this is probably what they are searching for. The benefit for BOTH is that if this is what they want, they will comment and ask "how did you do that?". Now you can later show them the video of "how" later (which you could still film while doing the original process), and link them from the original video. Boom... you just double dipped them. :)

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would say it is worth it just for the experience. People either want knowledge or be entertained... or both. The more often you do it, the faster you gain the experience of how to present what they want. Edited videos are always better quality, but take much more time.

Your field may be a bit trickier since anything involved with working on cars can take a very long time. No one wants to watch someone turning screws for 20 minutes straight. What may work for you is how you the present it. Present the problem/issue, the plan, and then the result:

Problem: Someone wants a cheap way to increase power and efficiency.
Plan: Install new air intake, MAF, throttle body, etc.
Result: Increased dyno numbers, mpg, etc.

The benefit of something like this for you is that it is still easy for you to shoot, and minimal editing (probably just one video added to another). The benefit for the viewer is that it can keep them engaged for the short duration since this is probably what they are searching for. The benefit for BOTH is that if this is what they want, they will comment and ask "how did you do that?". Now you can later show them the video of "how" later (which you could still film while doing the original process), and link them from the original video. Boom... you just double dipped them. :)
Thanks for the advice! That is the route I took for my first "vlog". I was able to edit it in 15 mins which was nice, and will render it this evening and post. I only film a few seconds of actually using a tool just so the viewer gets the idea.

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
your channel is young enough I don't think it will hurt you to try. iv got a few quick no/minimal edit video's on my channel one of them did kind of ok.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
You can always start in normal speed "hi, another day in the garage trying to e.g. change the waterpump..." and then fast forward the speed with some playful or funny music. So you eliminate the errors (with fast speed), you seem to show more on less time and you can pause from time to time to make an explanation or just throw a funny comment...

Just a thought :)

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I find to much use of fast motion to hurt audience retention. It certainly has it's place but too much of it seems to turn off viewers jump cuts many times are more effective. Show the wrech going on the bolt and cracking the bolt loose jump cut pulling the bolt out jump cut lifting the part off. For this it's pretty important that the camera remains stationary otherwise you have to add time to process what your looking at if the camera moves. Fast motion is a valuable tool but i have found it to be important not to over do the fast motion. My timelines tend to get pretty busy.
received_243129516362694.png that's a video in rough cut

I don't think using lots of fast motion in place of spending time edit will work out

Rather the quick minimal edit videos would include very little demonstration. What is my favorite oil, what to look for in a tire, I bought a new tool type videos. May even try to pick some quick tech tip type topics

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have uploaded 2, they are much longer than 2 mins lol. I should have another video coming up tomorrow. And hopefully one friday and saturday as well

Madiisuun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
alternatively, i think a really cool idea would be one minute of raw footage every day for a week. that way, at the end of the week, all you have to do is clip those together, and you've got an easy seven minute video every week detailing the updates to your car!

Reactions: Nicekid76