Would a recent events series work in a vlog channel?

Brenden

Message me if you need anything :)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
So a friend of mine started a vlog channel known as Dudes with Hats.

Fortunately we live right down the street from each other and hang out pretty often. We agreed to upload a video a week because editing with my current program is a pain + we both have jobs now.

However I feel like waiting an entire week between content isn't a good idea. I feel like the main series, that is fine, but I should have something else on top of the vlogs.

I thought of doing a "My Take On" kind of series where I give my opinions and discuss current topics in the YouTube world or news in general. I feel like since the channel is a vlog type, having that series as a side wouldn't hurt it too much.

However I also fear having too many controversial subjects can lead to people who subbed for the vlogs dropping off. My thoughts were, if I kept it simple and had like some sort of disclaimer I could maintain uploads and at the same time bring people to the vlogs.

Thoughts?

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
You're a small channel. You shouldn't really worry about controversial content or people unsubbing or anything like that yet. The reality of it is, unless you're being massively promoted by the YouTube algorithm, a lot of people are just going to find your channel because you run it. Regardless of the content you make. That's the reality of starting out on YouTube. The big get bigger, but the small have to pave their own path. If you've made a name for yourself as a vlogger with a big following, then you'd be treading in deep waters by making content out of the ordinary. But as the small channel, this is your experimental stage. And your audience knows that. Plus, if anything, you'll just gain a bigger reach by talking about controversial topics, which people are actively searching up. Do what you want. If it doesn't work out for you, it's better you realize that sooner rather than later.

Brenden

Message me if you need anything :)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
You're a small channel. You shouldn't really worry about controversial content or people unsubbing or anything like that yet. The reality of it is, unless you're being massively promoted by the YouTube algorithm, a lot of people are just going to find your channel because you run it. Regardless of the content you make. That's the reality of starting out on YouTube. The big get bigger, but the small have to pave their own path. If you've made a name for yourself as a vlogger with a big following, then you'd be treading in deep waters by making content out of the ordinary. But as the small channel, this is your experimental stage. And your audience knows that. Plus, if anything, you'll just gain a bigger reach by talking about controversial topics, which people are actively searching up. Do what you want. If it doesn't work out for you, it's better you realize that sooner rather than later.
I appreciate that.

I have had multiple channels in the past where I have gone a bit astray from my usual content and people were taken back by it. I don't think this is too different. It's still under the vlog category, but it's just myself instead of myself and my friend which is the main thing we do.

I will try it out, I appreciate the kind words!

Reactions: Dewmonic Abyss

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the video ideas / planning forum. ^_^

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I appreciate that.

I have had multiple channels in the past where I have gone a bit astray from my usual content and people were taken back by it. I don't think this is too different. It's still under the vlog category, but it's just myself instead of myself and my friend which is the main thing we do.

I will try it out, I appreciate the kind words!
Yeah, of course! Glad I could help! There's this vlogger that follows me on Twitter. Well, he's not known as a vlogger, but he has a separate vlogging channel. Joey Salads, if you know him. I see his vlogging channel have a similar layout to what you're describing. He'll have vlogs with his girlfriend, vlogs by himself, and also have videos discussing YouTube drama and stuff. From what I've seen, it doesn't seem to have any negative repercussions. Of course there's gonna be some dislikes from people who disagree with you (and of course he gets a fair share of dislikes because of all the racial controversy and stuff he's been in), but in the end, dislikes actually do help a video get promoted. It's just engagement. And most people understand dislikes on controversy videos aren't due to the quality of the video but, in those cases, sheep who blindly hate on people who disagree with them. That's YouTube for ya. lol