Worst YouTube rule ever.

Hakiii

Reaction score
I hate the YouTube 10,000 views rule because when i monetize my videos, i don't get anything because of that rule.

The 10k views rule is a rule where you can't make any money if you don't have more than 10,000 total channel views. I currently am at 6.2k views. I actually deleted old videos, and if i didn't delete those, i would have 16k total views. So i screwed myself over kind of..

DictionaryWrites

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
But it makes complete sense, and it actually helps YouTubers overall, honestly.

People can no longer go onto YouTube, throw up a few stolen or incendiary videos and then start making bank on them - 10,000 is a completely achievable goal for views. They could have made it 50,000 or 100,000 - 10k is pretty easily achievable for anyone who's serious about working on their YouTube, and given how many chancers it's going to drop out of the community, I think it's better for everybody. I'm just surprised they didn't do it sooner.

Besides, if you don't yet have 10,000 views, Adsense wouldn't be giving you that much money anyway - there's nothing wrong with a little patience in this scenario.

Hakiii

Reaction score
But it makes complete sense, and it actually helps YouTubers overall, honestly.

People can no longer go onto YouTube, throw up a few stolen or incendiary videos and then start making bank on them - 10,000 is a completely achievable goal for views. They could have made it 50,000 or 100,000 - 10k is pretty easily achievable for anyone who's serious about working on their YouTube, and given how many chancers it's going to drop out of the community, I think it's better for everybody. I'm just surprised they didn't do it sooner.

Besides, if you don't yet have 10,000 views, Adsense wouldn't be giving you that much money anyway - there's nothing wrong with a little patience in this scenario.
[DOUBLEPOST=1502038362,1502038268][/DOUBLEPOST]I know that, i know why they made the rule overall obviously, but i don't think it should be 10,000 views, that is just overboard. They should make it maximum 5,000 views, more than that is too much.

DictionaryWrites

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I know that, i know why they made the rule overall obviously, but i don't think it should be 10,000 views, that is just overboard. They should make it maximum 5,000 views, more than that is too much.
10, 000 is a nice, round number, easy to remember - if they had made it 5000, who's to say somebody wouldn't be saying "Oh, 5000 is too much, they should have made it 3000," et cetera. No point dwelling on the should haves or could haves of the situation - 10,000 is where they've put the baseline, and that's just how things are now.

If you do feel that strongly about it, though, you can probably send them a letter of complaint, but that time could probably just be focused on making more videos.

Reactions: Mr.Human

Dino

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I don't really make videos anymore, but I made about 80,000 views from 2 videos that took me 5 minutes to make.

It's honestly not that bad of a number.

Reactions: DictionaryWrites

Hakiii

Reaction score
10, 000 is a nice, round number, easy to remember - if they had made it 5000, who's to say somebody wouldn't be saying "Oh, 5000 is too much, they should have made it 3000," et cetera. No point dwelling on the should haves or could haves of the situation - 10,000 is where they've put the baseline, and that's just how things are now.

If you do feel that strongly about it, though, you can probably send them a letter of complaint, but that time could probably just be focused on making more videos.
I guess a round number thats easy to remember would be 1,000, but people might think that's too little. And i don't think YouTube would care about the complaint anyways.

DictionaryWrites

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
There are a lot worse rules they could have implemented - YouTube could ban people from making videos without being over the age of 18, they could require that you be at least 18 to monetize your videos, they could be more aggressive about copyright laws, they could limit how many videos you can upload without a "premium" member, et cetera, et cetera.

Things could be a lot worse, you know?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
It's a great rule. Particularly because YouTube now manually review a channel's content before approving monetization. Channels who blatantly upload copyrighted content are now having a lot more trouble monetizing it and that's a good thing for Youtubers who play by the rules and make original content.