Worst time to be a content creator?

winson yuen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
After the youtube AD boycott, everything went downhill for me. Don't take it wrong, I still love making videos for the sake of it. However, my daily subscriber count went from 100 to like 20 or 10- if lucky. One or two comments a day. Did not even make a dollar yet!

When is YouTube going to fix this? Are you having the same problem?!

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I've never been big enough to make a profit or gain daily subscribers so I have no idea how that feels to see the numbers drop or not gain after the Youtube Ad Boycott. And it's bummer to hear that things are rough for you as well. Hopefully it was not a big source of income before the ad fiasco.

I do agree on this most likely being the hardest time of content creators. All the creators we know and love are struggling now more then ever to get by. Well...most of them anyways. And smaller channels have an extremely hard time getting out there. Most will get discouraged but the ones that push through will see an increase in numbers but probably not enough to even get a decent check for a long time if ever. To me this the time that tests creators the most on whether or not they really love doing Youtube or are in it just for the money at the end of the endless road.

pioneer1

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
To have a drop like that is not cool. I think lots of advertisers came back that were boycotting.

In my case one of my channels really took off. Lots of views, subscribers and money growth.

So it might be a case of what niche your channel is in. Lots of gun channels, news channels etc lost revenue.

TheReading

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian, Commentator
It sucks sorry to hear that your channel took a hit. I'm very new to YouTube so I don't feel the effect. I just enjoy making videos and I hope it helps me with some things, making money off YouTube isn't something I'm waiting on I have a real life job and about to have a family so that's my focus I do this for fun and to help with some anxiety.

Reactions: OldNotDead

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I noticed that Yotube still has the glitch, that when you upload a lot, you will lose subscribers! Which hit me just recently, as I uploaded footage from a John Mayer concert, and lost 10 subscribers.
At the same time, the ad boycott hasn't affected me as much, as I earn under a dollar consistently this past year now!

Reactions: OldNotDead

ToysForKids

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I like to think it this way: if this is indeed the worst time to be a content creator then it's surely the best time for us to be a content creator since the overall situation is putting so many of my competitors quit thus helping us a great deal!

Here's a an awesome quote for this situation.

Le vent se lève! Il faut tenter de vivre!
Forward to 0:33

Last edited:

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Numbers have dropped over the last month but still acceptable.
Money halved but I am seeing small signs of recovery.

GameGabe

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
AD boycot can't affect you if you earn 0.5€ a month

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
It sucks that you're subs have gone down so drastically!
I do think the views/subs ect has been effective for this whole ordeal, i'm not really sure how it works but??? I'm a pretty small channel so I haven't seen TOO much of a difference, i don't gain many subs month to month, but my views have for sure dropped, not much, but on average they have definitely dropped..

I do think this will be fixed over time, I really don't see this as the end, and even if the old advertisers don't come back, youtube is big enough that other companies would be happy to take their places.

I think it'll just have to be a waiting game...