Will you be safe if you set your channel to private?? (COPPA and FTC)

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
What if I decided to play it safe and set my channels to private for a month or so while all this blows over. I mean will the FTC be combing through even private channels? I'd figure I'll leave my stuff set to private until I see if this gets overturned or some major Youtuber does something or if people really are getting fines left and right. I mean, I'm not monetized anyway, my fanbase is rather niche, I can direct them to my LBRY channel in the meantime, it's not affecting my livelihood, but I don't know if the FTC will go after even the private channels.

What about channels that are still abandoned but are still around? Will those people wake up to a fine over stuff they uploaded 3 years ago and forgot about?

I don't think there are concrete answers, but if you set all your videos to Private, no one can see them, so I would assume that you would be safe. Kids can't see ads on videos they can see. As far as abandon content, YT's algorithm will classify them and from what I have heard, if YT classifies a video as not for kids, but the FTC decided it is for kids, they will tell YT to change it.

I think that the only people they are in real danger are ones that intentionally try to game the system, by producing kids content, but keep marking it as not for kids, even though YT has classified as for kids.

As a side note, I was watching kids videos with my grandkids today on my smartphone. Every ad I saw was a targeted ad that had nothing to do with the contextual content of the videos I was showing my grandkids. I mean what does an Autozone commercial have to do with the "I Love Eggs Song".

I also watched some of my own videos and saw some really good ads showing, which means that even though I am a very small channel, I am getting some better quality ads. Maybe because of the missing ads space on a lot of kid's content? Who knows anymore.

But I mean, that's part of the problem. Say you make a video talking about Rick and Morty and label it as 'not for kids', and rightfully so. Those old coots at the FTC can see it and think 'that's a cartoon, that's for kids, clearly kids love Rick and Morty, this guy is purposely marking his channel as 'not for kids' to game the system and target kids with ad. FINE HIS a**'.

That's the whole issue. That lots of channels that are clearly not for kids will be marked as not for kids but the FTC will think they are and fine innocent creators, thinking that they were lying to 'game the system'.

I agree. The FTC is so far out of line on this, it defies reason. Unfortunately, I think only a court battle will resolve this.

I'm a bit bothered that Pewds, Markiplier and Jacksepticeye haven't covered this. I've seen a lot of comments saying stuff like OMG WE HAVE TO TELL PEWDS, OMG WE HAVE TO TELL MARKIPLIER, but like...we shouldn't have to tell them, they must have seen those annoying 'is your channel for kids or not for kids' thing when uploading their daily videos. How can they NOT know?

Last edited:
I'm a bit bothered that Pewds, Markiplier and Jacksepticeye haven't covered this. I've seen a lot of comments saying stuff like OMG WE HAVE TO TELL PEWDS, OMG WE HAVE TO TELL MARKIPLIER, but like...we shouldn't have to tell them, they must have seen those annoying 'is your channel for kids or not for kids' thing when uploading their daily videos. How can they NOT know?

Well, you know what they say. You don't get big by causing waves. Plus, those guys are so big they don't need ad revenue. They got brand deals out the wazoo. This is not hurting them, so they don't care.

Truth is, it is not hurting me either at the moment. But I am a justice warrior. It really bothers me to see innocent people being punished for issues that have nothing to do with them. I see this issue and I understand it and why they are doing what they are doing, and it is unjust. Here it is in a nutshell.

Google is an AD company. Google makes money by selling advertising on content. Google markets its ad space based on tracking data they have accumulated about people so they can increase the relativeness of the ads to the viewer. Google success is tied to their ability to deliver highly effective targeted ads. The FTC does not want Google to track children. Google refuses to stop tracking children, so the FTC makes the content creators (where Google places its ads) responsible for the ads Google shows on their content.

The truth is, Google is too big to fail, so the government will never take it down or hurt it enough to really matter. Google provides countless services to so many major corporations around the world, that if it were shut down tomorrow, it would essentially stop commerce around the world. So if the government truly hurt Google, they would seriously hurt industry and commerce in general, because they are co-dependent on Google's services to function. This would seriously hurt the US economy and cause the stock market to crash overnight. They will be playing ice hockey in hell before the government will do that.

So the government cannot REALLY go after Google's throat. So they go after the WEAKEST link. That is us, the small content creators, because we are expendable. We are not responsible for this problem, but we are the ones being punished because we are the weakest link.

This is why the Founders of the U.S. established the Anti-Trust laws. They did not want companies becoming so big and integrated in the system, that to take them out would kill the economy. There are several juggernaut companies like Google today that are so integrated into commerce that they cannot be truly punished to the degree it really hurts them. This might be good for commerce, but it is a really bad thing for Democracy and Justice.

Last edited:
Do they make kid's content? I assume pewds is the pewdiepew (sp) guy? I never heard of the other two. I could not stomach pewdipew long enough to know what his content is supposed to be, or who it is aimed at... If they do not do kid's content, they may not be affected by it much.

Do they make kid's content? I assume pewds is the pewdiepew (sp) guy? I never heard of the other two. I could not stomach pewdipew long enough to know what his content is supposed to be, or who it is aimed at... If they do not do kid's content, they may not be affected by it much.
Wether it's not directed at kids (Pewds is questionable though) kids flock to their channels. Kids made them the top YouTubers.

Wether it's not directed at kids (Pewds is questionable though) kids flock to their channels. Kids made them the top YouTubers.

I honestly don’t think a YouTuber can be fined when said YouTuber could prove in court their video was labeled correctly. You wouldn’t even have to go to court to prove this. Let’s say I make a video about McDonalds happy meal.The thumbnail is a happy meal. But in the video itself I’m dropping f bombs left and right doing other things clearly not for kids. If the FTC only notices the thumbnail and says I am fined all I would have to do is prove to court it’s not for kids. Just sending he court the video is enough evidence. Also if say 20,000 people are fined in one day and all cases go to court the court systems will get sick and tired of the cases in court day after day and will find a way to overturn the FTC decision.

I honestly don’t think a YouTuber can be fined when said YouTuber could prove in court their video was labeled correctly. You wouldn’t even have to go to court to prove this. Let’s say I make a video about McDonalds happy meal.The thumbnail is a happy meal. But in the video itself I’m dropping f bombs left and right doing other things clearly not for kids. If the FTC only notices the thumbnail and says I am fined all I would have to do is prove to court it’s not for kids. Just sending he court the video is enough evidence. Also if say 20,000 people are fined in one day and all cases go to court the court systems will get sick and tired of the cases in court day after day and will find a way to overturn the FTC decision.
Question. Who's gonna pay for their lawyers. Half the trouble with the fine is most of those people won't even afford a lawyer to take em to court. Where is some 15 year old creator gonna get a lawyer?

Back