Will this vlog get a strike?

i am kian

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've just finished helping my son making his vlog about how to make thunder caps / paper caps, and I wonder if he is okay with it (IE: will not get a Community Guidelines strike)
The vlog is set to private at the moment, and will go online coming Sunday (21-10)
Any expert here who can have a look at it, and let me/us know if he is safe?

Please note the language spoken is Dutch, but it's got English subtitles.

If so, then I will PM you the private link.

Thank you for helping.

Dad and his son.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
No one can see a private video, but it will probably not get a strike. Strikes can also happen before a video goes live.

Reactions: videoeditgr

i am kian

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I understand that no one can see a private video, but I could set it to unlisted when needed to be looked at for checking.
I'm not sure about your last statement. My son got a strike some time ago on one of his videos due to a "violation of the Community Guidelines".
He appealed, and "won". YT removed the strike a day later.
The video in question had been online for some time before he got the strike on it. We are sure that it was one of his "friends" who reported the video.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So long as the video doesn't have copyrighted materials that can be hit by ContentID, it should be fine. All videos, public or private, are scanned by ContentID and appropriate copyright violations are handed out, even if no one can see it. YouTube employees can't see a Private video, thus they can't manually determine whether its a violation of Community Guidelines or not so you should be safe enough there.

That said though, keeping a video private forever, presumably so that you can serve it elsewhere, is unethical. You are using YouTube's servers as free storage and free service, in other words, you are costing them money for whatever you are doing. I can easily see them shutting down channels that do this regularly for squandering their resources. You might want to think about that. If you want server space somewhere, pay for it. Don't steal from YouTube.

i am kian

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello Cephus. It's not a copyrighted materials problem we are afraid of (music used is No Copyright Music), and the video (as mentioned in my 1st post) will go online this Sunday.

Basically the video is about my son showing how to make paper roll caps (the exploding ones) by using matches.
The ones he made do give a loud bang!

He has put plenty of "Adult supervision compulsory!" warnings in the video and description, and he is wearing safety gear (goggles and earplugs) when testing them :)

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's fine, but as I said, YouTube has a good reason to frown on people uploading to their servers for the purpose of using the videos elsewhere. It's stealing their resources. I think you're safe from a copyright standpoint, probably from a community guideline standpoint because no one at YouTube can look at the video if it's private, but they could get upset if a lot of videos are kept private and just served off elsewhere. They pay their bills by showing ads on your videos. If you don't make your videos public, they can't do that, yet they are still paying all the costs of housing and serving your video elsewhere. They have a legitimate beef with that.

i am kian

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you for the info.

The video is automatically set to private as it's scheduled to be posted this coming sunday.
This is the way YouTube works when uploading a scheduled video.

Anyway. Let's hope that one of my nexts posts here is not going to be about "violation of the Community Guidelines" :)

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
You will never know until you post it... And the answer is "nobody knows".
Here is an example, I had a video in previous channel. Trying to upload it in new one caused a rejection. I filled a claim that also rejected.
Talking for the exact same video, same source file in my backup. Previously online as public.
Go figure...

but I could set it to unlisted when needed to be looked at for checking.
setting a video from private to unlisted, causes a review from Youtube's system and it is when Youtube decides if it will put a video down.
So making it unlisted, will probably solve your question...

:)

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
So long as the video doesn't have copyrighted materials that can be hit by ContentID, it should be fine. All videos, public or private, are scanned by ContentID and appropriate copyright violations are handed out, even if no one can see it. YouTube employees can't see a Private video, thus they can't manually determine whether its a violation of Community Guidelines or not so you should be safe enough there.

That said though, keeping a video private forever, presumably so that you can serve it elsewhere, is unethical. You are using YouTube's servers as free storage and free service, in other words, you are costing them money for whatever you are doing. I can easily see them shutting down channels that do this regularly for squandering their resources. You might want to think about that. If you want server space somewhere, pay for it. Don't steal from YouTube.
For space just use google drive! Everyone gets a few giga