Will I Get Strike?

winson yuen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hello all. I want to know if I will get a strike for using a song's looped instrument for like 5-10 seconds?

The song is Passionfruit by Drake instrumental (looped version)

Thanks!

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Hello all. I want to know if I will get a strike for using a song's looped instrument for like 5-10 seconds?
Thanks!
Several times I have used popular songs in my videos knowing that they were copyrighted and knowing in advance that I would not be able to monetize the videos. Each time, the videos were flagged by ContentID as being copyrighted and the copyright holder's ads were placed on the video, and I cant put my own ads on it. It was worth it because I knew these would be popular videos.

Each time this happens I get a friendly email from YouTube about it, using friendly terms like "Don't worry, your account is not at risk" and letting me know that the copyright holders would put their ads in my video.
This is not a "Strike" - which is BAD, and only happens if you incorrectly try to appeal a ContentID notice or do other (really) bad things.

I'm not saying to do it, as it is technically against the rules, but it is doubtful that you would get a "strike".

Reactions: winson yuen

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you do go forth with it DO NOT MONETIZE the video. if its an instrumental, reproduced content has different legality clauses. Personally I would use a different song, but if your hearts set on it, just know not to monetize it.

winson yuen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you do go forth with it DO NOT MONETIZE the video. if its an instrumental, reproduced content has different legality clauses. Personally I would use a different song, but if your hearts set on it, just know not to monetize it.
Hmmm I have monetized it and nothing happened. It has been more than two weeks now I think.

Sladee

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hmmm I have monetized it and nothing happened. It has been more than two weeks now I think.
A lot of times the algorithm misses audio due to overlapping sounds. If it recognizes the audio clearly, it's gonna warn you. I wouldn't recommend using copyrighted music unless you have permission. It's a gamble including it into your videos. But hey it's your channel feel free to take whatever risks.

LegendOfSwift

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's possible to get a strike, even if it's only a few seconds, youtube might detect it and at least give a copyright claim.

HoeLeeFuQQ

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger

Thanks!
Can't you just credit the artist in the description or what ever and everything is cool? i usually use NCS music i just put the tittle who provided it and a bunch of links to the social media of the artist in the music and everything is cool. But it might be different here because drake is a big artist.

LegendOfSwift

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Can't you just credit the artist in the description or what ever and everything is cool? i usually use NCS music i just put the tittle who provided it and a bunch of links to the social media of the artist in the music and everything is cool. But it might be different here because drake is a big artist.
Simply crediting an artist isn't enough. That's like posting a movie that someone else made, monetizing it, then just putting credit in the description. You're stealing money from the company that worked hard to make that product without their permission.