Why you should never show your face on youtube.

OrkoTV

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is a little advice that is going to help you in the long run, One major problem people have on youtube is they run and show their face (they want to be youtube famous). One big problem with this is once your face is out there expect to be attacked on everything (looks,teeth,eyes,race,etc) and there is no way back from that. If you want peace of mind to make videos and give nothing to the haters and trolls to attack you about in comments and bully you for the rest of your youtube career Do not show your face ever. I have seen many youtubers bullied and attacked earlier in their career to just quit due to the mental stress of hate comments. If people love what you have to say, they dont need to know what you look like. Plus it gives you the peace to walk outside in freedom never to be spotted.

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
This is a little advice that is going to help you in the long run, One major problem people have on youtube is they run and show their face (they want to be youtube famous). One big problem with this is once your face is out there expect to be attacked on everything (looks,teeth,eyes,race,etc) and there is no way back from that. If you want peace of mind to make videos and give nothing to the haters and trolls to attack you about in comments and bully you for the rest of your youtube career Do not show your face ever. I have seen many youtubers bullied and attacked earlier in their career to just quit due to the mental stress of hate comments. If people love what you have to say, they dont need to know what you look like. Plus it gives you the peace to walk outside in freedom never to be spotted.
That is definitely one way to look at it and if it works for some people then great. I'm happy for you. =] Continue doing it and go as far as you can with it. But I speak for several people who enjoy showing their face in front of the camera. We do it for a reasons.

1. The audience gets to put a face to the voice they hear. So whenever we decide to not show our face for clips, reviews, etc...they know/envision us regardless.
2. By showing our face they get to know who we are as a person more. Give them someone to possibly connect to.
3. Vloggers/Film Makers/Music Artists/etc... show their face to help build their reputation. If I say George Lucas I bet everyone here can remember what he looks like, envision his voice and know what art work (as in Film) he has made for everyone, and so on. A lot of us want to be like George Lucas (or other famous people) but in our own way.

A lot of young Youtubers out there use Youtube as a way to follow an "older brother or sister figure." They just want someone to be friends with and to look up to. If you build that relationship with your audience then they will do the same with you.

Sure there are a lot of trolls out there and I completely agree with everything you've said above. But I'm sure a lot of people have their own reasons as to why they show their face and don't care what the trolls/haters say. They aren't worth your time and you should be happy with who you are without worrying about them. As long as you're happy with who you are then that is all that matters. Not the opinion of someone who just wants to cyber bully you to make themselves feel better or someone who is envious of you. Screw them. Let them give you the view and watch time for their efforts because your true fans will always be way above that. Supporting you every step of the way. =]

chloeevevlogs

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It depends on the person I guess, if you can't take the criticism don't show your face. I'll admit it is very peaceful to create content without showing who you really are but its harder for the community to connect with you.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I moved this to the strategy / technique advice forum. ^_^
Hmm.. I guess I'm a bit too late since I've already posted a bunch of videos of myself! :eek:

I do see your point, but I also don't think there is too much wrong with showing your face if you think you can handle the criticism. Currently there isn't very good face recognition across social media platforms, so as long as you protect your personal information, I think there isn't too much to worry about with showing your face to the Internet. The haters don't know where you live. They're just bored kids behind a keyboard.

A few people I know in real life apparently stumbled across my videos and didn't realize it was me until they brought up that there's a violin girl on YouTube who sort of looks like me lol. xD That made me realize how people still separate "real life" and "internet life."

As far as being teased about looks -- yeah, that happens...for me, it happened in real life too (buck teeth are great fun to have as a kid in public schools lol), so perhaps I was already used to ignoring it. If people aren't picking apart your looks, then they are picking apart the sound of your voice, or the way you swallow/breathe, or the way you phrase the video. There's always something beyond your control that people will nitpick about.

I think showing your face can be both a beneficial and limiting thing to do, depending on the situation and your content. Some videos are perfect for never needing to show your face. Other videos would do better if the audience could see who they are listening to. People like to connect with others, and I think the more realistic and relatable a channel can be to its audience, the better. I think one of the easiest ways to start to be relatable is to show yourself to other people as a regular human with flaws like everyone else. ^^

Last edited:

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
I haven't got any comments like that yet, and I wouldn't care.
I would just delete the comments.

Reactions: KatyAdelson

Malousak

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer
I think you're jumping into conclusions without thinking the opposite of what you're saying. Some people's looks are actually not bad to show on YouTube, especially if a person is attractive then they already have less things to worry about bullies on YouTube based on their looks. Also, even if you're bullied either way (there are a lot of lunatics on the internet who will say whatever they want), if you don't have the guts to be on YouTube and even say your opinion about it even without showing your face, then YouTube isn't for you either way. Look at "I Hate Everything". He never shows his face, but clearly he has a lot of haters who always say the nastiest stuff to him. You have to be strong if you want to make a brand out of your channel, because if you aren't then it's best to stay in the shadows. I for example don't give the slightest crap about the haters, in fact I will feel more happy because they're investing their time into my channel unconsciously and that gives me the last laugh. I used to be very sensitive before I started YouTube, but now I know better not to feed the trolls. Either you're weak or you're tough to withstand hate. If this is working for you then I would say go for it and do the best you can to grow. Though I do hope that you won't take the haters seriously and be strong about YouTube :) Take care, I truly hope the best for you.

Last edited:

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I never showed myself because im a pretty chunky fellor and didnt want the abuse. But eventually I got confident and showed myself.
100'000s views later and not one nasty comment.
I get the odd 'english' guy comment assuming from americans..

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
you give advice and tell people not to show themselves on videos because you will get bullied and trolled etc. yet you make a video about twitch streamers and the fact what they do is the same as strippers and its just visual prostitution (your words) aren't you part of the problem your warning us against?..........

ridiculous thread

Daisyah

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I mean all of this is true but majority of the things that people do on YouTube require showing some aspect of their face. If someone attacks me, I'm not going to say it wouldn't bother me cause it would but I know what I am insecure about and it won't really hurt unless it's specifically something that I stress about. I know there are a lot of trolls so you never know if they are being serious or just trying to p**s you off. Also, I won't delete the comments I'll let people say whatever they want even if I don't necessarily like it #freedomofspeechsucksometimes

Last edited: