Why worry about being a big youtuber?

RichGuitarGamer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Ok, this might not be a popular post but....

Why worry about an audience that you may or may not get and get on with real life and have fun making videos? (im not pointing this soley at you because alot of upcoming youtubers want to be big) But has anyone ever thought about the downside to being a big youtuber? The verbal/racial threats, the trolls, the weirdos wanting to be like you, the people wanting to hack your channel/twitter? And im getting that at my size, and im only growing at 4 new subs a day.

If you are anything like me and have your personality all over you channel and in your videos and have a real life where you focus on career e.t.c then you wont worry about being a big youtuber.

I personally feel (and this is my own opinion) that too many upcoming youtubers spend too much time thinking about YouTube. But what is YouTube? Its a virtual realm for people to portray there personalities (or make up characters) to their hearts content.

Lets get realistic, this is not 2011 where it was more of a level playing field for new youtubers. in 2015 there are BIG youtubers, who by no fault of their own, have fans that will stick to who they know and not even look twice at a newbie.

A healthy amount of realism, with an ounce of humility will take you very far, just dont try and walk before you can crawl.

RIch

Shoxir

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think a lot of people would love to turn youtube from a hobby into a job. And there's nothing wrong with holding on to that dream, as it's possible for anyone to "make it big."

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. Too many people worry over their youtube channel even though there is a good chance that it won't take off. And there are a ton of downsides as you've said (I myself am terrified of having all my personal information hacked and leaked to the rest of the internet). But all of that is just stuff that comes with the job. No job is perfect. I work retail during the day and I have to put up with customers who know nothing about what they're buying, kids running around and disorganizing the place, and when it's busy, you have to deal with angry, impatient idiots (not looking forward to black friday lol).

But youtube is something a lot of people want to turn into a job because you can literally make your own channel about whatever you love doing. I don't think anyone seriously makes videos unless they're genuinely passionate about it (what's the point in trying to pursue youtube if you don't enjoy doing it). I guarantee even you have thought at one point of what it would be like if your channel made it big. And there isn't anything wrong with it. Sure, it's incredibly unlikely for anyone to actually turn youtube into a career, but it's still possible. All it takes is a lot of effort, time, and a bit of luck.

Realistically, yeah, not a whole lot of people are going to make it. But if they've got the dream, the talent, and the will to put in some real effort, then I say more power to them.

XXLRay

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Well these are exactly the reasons why I try to keep as much of my private information hidden as possible. I already find my growth rate of one sub per day a bit frightening. Nevertheless I want to reach as many people as possible with my tutorials to make their lives easier. So I naturally want my channel to grow.

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It does not really matter either way cause in the end most of it not all YouTubers want to make this a full time thing.

It's a lot of fun, and who would not want something as fun as making your own content be a standard way of living.

ALTHOUGH
People get that way from the start, they quit everything and expect their YouTube career to just rocket into space.
Which most of the time it does not happen that way unless one of your vids go viral.

If someone wants to ruin their life or what they worked for to start a probably not going to work YouTube career just let them. It's not your life or mine.

I'm probably being a bit pessimistic but meh

Reactions: RichGuitarGamer

RichGuitarGamer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think a lot of people would love to turn youtube from a hobby into a job. And there's nothing wrong with holding on to that dream, as it's possible for anyone to "make it big."

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. Too many people worry over their youtube channel even though there is a good chance that it won't take off. And there are a ton of downsides as you've said (I myself am terrified of having all my personal information hacked and leaked to the rest of the internet). But all of that is just stuff that comes with the job. No job is perfect. I work retail during the day and I have to put up with customers who know nothing about what they're buying, kids running around and disorganizing the place, and when it's busy, you have to deal with angry, impatient idiots (not looking forward to black friday lol).

But youtube is something a lot of people want to turn into a job because you can literally make your own channel about whatever you love doing. I don't think anyone seriously makes videos unless they're genuinely passionate about it (what's the point in trying to pursue youtube if you don't enjoy doing it). I guarantee even you have thought at one point of what it would be like if your channel made it big. And there isn't anything wrong with it. Sure, it's incredibly unlikely for anyone to actually turn youtube into a career, but it's still possible. All it takes is a lot of effort, time, and a bit of luck.

Realistically, yeah, not a whole lot of people are going to make it. But if they've got the dream, the talent, and the will to put in some real effort, then I say more power to them.
See if i agree with everything you said, I in the beginning thought "ohh this would be easy, and id get big" Then i learnt the amount of effort and work that goes into making a video - and i mean a watchable video, branding licenced music, thumbnails, equipment, and then theres not even the guarantee of views or growth.

I just feel that ALOT of youtubers do youtube for the wrong reasons, Ill give you an example, i know of a youtuber who had the choice between buying books for his dissertation at uni or equipment for his videos, he chose the latter, and when he didnt get the views he thought he deserved he quit.

Soo many people have this mentality

Reactions: Shoxir

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
See if i agree with everything you said, I in the beginning thought "ohh this would be easy, and id get big" Then i learnt the amount of effort and work that goes into making a video - and i mean a watchable video, branding licenced music, thumbnails, equipment, and then theres not even the guarantee of views or growth.

I just feel that ALOT of youtubers do youtube for the wrong reasons, Ill give you an example, i know of a youtuber who had the choice between buying books for his dissertation at uni or equipment for his videos, he chose the latter, and when he didnt get the views he thought he deserved he quit.

Soo many people have this mentality

Jesus that guy is not making the right choices lol.

I'm using a 7 year old laptop for my videos cause I use all my money with college.
Since you know, that's probably the better choice. lol

RichGuitarGamer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer

I'm using a 7 year old laptop for my videos cause I use all my money with college.
Exactly!!

And more then likely since you get on with college work you come back to making videos with a fresh mind... Bro!..thats the key to improvement, i just feel that its lost nowadays ever since we started seing the big youtubers show off the cars and all that. And it was 8 months into making videos before i saved enough money to get decent equipment for making videos. Just now it feels like its getting ridiculous, like i remember seeing a youtuber (i forget his name but he was a vlogger) he had on his twitter "the official twitter of yadieyar vlogger" and he had tweets about "sorry guys no video today im out of town" so i click on his channel right and he had 20 subs, now i didnt judge on that so i watched two of his vlogs... And he spent 8 minutes talking about nothing! Thats 8 mins of my life im not getting back, and i got angry, because again this another youtuber who came across soo arrogant (and he actually did in his videos too) on twitter, and he spent £500 on a NOICE camera... and guess what/ now he has stopped making videos,

I am venting right now but im soo glad i made this thread as i see genuine youtubers that keep it real! :)

Reactions: Redford1900

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer

Agree, always make yourself a safety net before trying to do risky stuff.

RichGuitarGamer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well these are exactly the reasons why I try to keep as much of my private information hidden as possible. I already find my growth rate of one sub per day a bit frightening. Nevertheless I want to reach as many people as possible with my tutorials to make their lives easier. So I naturally want my channel to grow.
You probably will get fans that will search and find that information - btw i hate saying "fans" cos people gloss over what a fan actually is.. a fanatic (i wiki'd this lol) I prefer to think of my audience as supporters, the word fan creeps me out for real!

I agree that it would be sweet to be a big youtuber but I studied hard at uni, worked for free for a year in the field i studied and worked hard to build my career up before making youtube was ever even a thought. And the thought of ditching that and relying on making videos for an income scare the stuff out of me lol!

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
Not to mention, if you get into YouTube primarily to be big and make money- you're going to start making the wrong decisions and get ULTRA stressed. It will stop being fun and become work, and not fun work because you started with the wrong aspect. If you're in it to have fun, show your personality, make people laugh, and do what you love to do- the rest is gravy! ^_^

It's just like an audition. You go in NOT expecting anything, you look your best, do your best. Control what you can, let go of what you can't, and HAVE FUN. That's something they can't take away from you. :D