Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Everyone has been there. You look at your subscriber amount and it just won't budge. But you really want to reach that 100, 500, 1000 subscriber count! And then the notification comes in. "Hey cool channel, I'll sub to you if you sub me back." And you think "Cool. Another sub, just what I wanted!" And slowly your channel descends into a deep hole of despair it most likely will never get out of.

Why is this hurtful? Doesn't Youtube favor channel with more subscribers? Well, not exactly. Aside from all the current internal politics of Youtube very much pushing traditional media channels instead of their original creators, Youtube wants only one thing: To keep people watching. They want people to spend as much time on their platform as possible. Because that way they can show more ads to this person and claim more money from those advertisers. Youtube is a business, never forget this.

Now, what tells Youtube that people keep watching? Watch time and retention time. Is there a video with over 50% overal retention time? Seems like people like this video! And that is when they start recommending it. Is that video getting thousands of views within the first 24 hours of its lifetime? Time to push it even more! Youtube wants people to watch videos, preferably for a long time.

Let's link this back to the practice of sub for sub (sub4sub for short). When you just sub to a channel to get a sub back, most likely you won't actually be interested in the content this creator makes. You might love beauty channels, but you're subbing to a motor sports channel. Will you be watching those videos? Most likely not. And the same thing happens the other way around.

So let's say you hit the great 100 subs mark! But your videos are only getting 10 or 15 views. This tells Youtube that 90% of your audience isn't interested in your content. Even worse is when people only watch the first few seconds and click off again. Your retention time will plummet. So you might have subs, but they are not watching, effectively butchering your watch time and retention time, plus your sub to view ratio.

Now Youtube has a lot more factors that they take into consideration, such as likes and comments (interactions) and much more, but they've said multiple times in official update videos that watch and retention time are extremely important.

Don't kill your channel just to see your sub count rise. Make consistent content and gather subscribers in an organic way. It will be slow, but Youtube isn't a race. It's a marathon. So just keep on running and don't give up! :)

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Beautifully put! I'm still amazed people ask for sub for sub or offer it. I'm certainly very new to the whole YouTube creator world, but I did plenty of research first before i started. I only want people to subscribe to my channel because they like my content and want to be part of my community. It's a sense of pride above everything else, knowing that they are there because they like what I do, not because I helped them increase their own sub count.

My marathon has only just begun, I am happy to go at a pace that suits and make sure I cross the line and pick up that medal :)

ssatchell

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Luckily, since I'm new to this whole YouTube Creator thing, I haven't done it before. Thanks for letting me know, I never knew of that. I definitely won't be doing that one!

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I only want people to subscribe to my channel because they like my content and want to be part of my community.
That's a great mindset! It will be hard, but worth it :) Good luck!

Luckily, since I'm new to this whole YouTube Creator thing, I haven't done it before. Thanks for letting me know, I never knew of that. I definitely won't be doing that one!
Oof, glad I could inform you about it beforehand! Good luck with your journey :)

fixedsnuffle

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Other
Thanks for this useful advice. I cannot get past 75 subs. However, I will not do sub for sub as I realize that will not likely help me. Instead I need to look at what I am putting out and see what I need to do to improve.

Howard Wilson

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That is good sound advice and knowledge your giving out. I want to grow my channel organically instead of doing sub4sub of people who dont really care about your content

blakbandit

Reaction score
Screenshot from 2019-08-27 00-45-57.png

i have a 1 week old channel and i do sub4sub because its really hard to gain a subscribers

at 1st my problem is the time retention it really hurts but i got a simple idea it really works as you see on the picture

Attachments

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
i got a simple idea it really works as you see on the picture
Sorry, but what are you exactly saying with this? Sub4sub will always hurt your channel in the long run. 1 week is nothing in the lifespan of a channel, have patience and try to grow organically.

Reactions: DeanChou

Yahshua

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Beautifully put! I'm still amazed people ask for sub for sub or offer it. I'm certainly very new to the whole YouTube creator world, but I did plenty of research first before i started. I only want people to subscribe to my channel because they like my content and want to be part of my community. It's a sense of pride above everything else, knowing that they are there because they like what I do, not because I helped them increase their own sub count.

My marathon has only just begun, I am happy to go at a pace that suits and make sure I cross the line and pick up that medal :)
Yes that is me to a tee. I only want those who want to see my content and will look at the majority of the videos because I want to connect with my audience and have them see us grow and check in with us as if they actually know us.