Why Is The First 100 Subscribers Always Hard?

Does a Custom URL increase Channel Traffic?

• Yes - its easier to find on search engines

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No - content is more important

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

MotionComedy

Loving YTtalk
Hey everyone!

My names is Kieran, and I've been on YouTube since December 25th, 2010. Since the launch of my very first YouTube Channel, I've seen a lot change on this website, whether that be the content creators on it, the style of it, or the generalized perspective of it.

Today, I want to answer a question looming over every small YouTube in existence - Why is the first 100 subscribers so hard?

I know that a lot of you are just starting out on YouTube, and you may find that growth on this ever-expanding website is hard, but I assure you, it gets easier the more effort you put into it.

The first 100 subscribers is hard because your content isn't reaching as many people as it should -- this is a fact. If you make a video on Minecraft, the Minecraft community is millions in size, but your video may only reach 12 people. This is because your channel is not as established as others.

However, to fix this, all you have to do is... keep making videos. It's that simple. If you keep making consistent videos, that are of good quality, you will slowly but surely start accumulating subscribers, whether that be 1 per day, or 10 per day.

Another reason why your first 100 subscribers is hard, is because your Channel is just a URL (for example: UCpWcUazsF7RWlY1y44svX2Q) and not a genuine link (/ChannelName). This becomes accessible at 100+ subscribers, and if people google "Channel Name", then you are more likely to find your YouTube link at the top.

So, my question to you is -- does a Custom URL increase Channel Traffic? You can vote in the poll above!

Thanks,

Kieran

I personally think the URL doesnt make that much a difference. It looks better then a bunch of seemingly random characters but if I'm telling someone about my channel in person or even over the web I just tell them 'search kraken soup' in YouTube. My tags make it possible to find me easy, once I've told you.

Then again I'm only on 34 so I can't preach this too much, just my opinion.

A custom channel name aids in your identity, especially when you have that name on other social media accounts. With the same colors scheme, logos, headers, thumbnails, etc, across all media it makes the channel look more professional, shows the creator cares for the channel, and builds recognition across the platforms.
The first 100 is hard because in the YT algorithm's code, you have Zero channel authority. Almost every other channel is higher than yours in authority, hence gets promoted above yours. It's only when you start generating views, in our experience, 1k-2k per video, that you start to build authority and start to rank in search and suggested. It's more about views than subs. Once you are generating views, that translates into subs, not the other way around. It took us over 50 videos and 3 months before traffic picked up. I think that was at the 3k sub point. It's a hard slog for the first few k subs.
Keep at it never give up.

I believe more in content just because when people find it and the content is good they're more likely to subscribe.

its hard because by definition a low sub channel doesn't have many videos and they would have to be really something special to get people to jump on from the start. but if you upload a few more and show people your serious then it will increase. but to me subs don't matter, views do.

Hey everyone!

My names is Kieran, and I've been on YouTube since December 25th, 2010. Since the launch of my very first YouTube Channel, I've seen a lot change on this website, whether that be the content creators on it, the style of it, or the generalized perspective of it.

Today, I want to answer a question looming over every small YouTube in existence - Why is the first 100 subscribers so hard?

I know that a lot of you are just starting out on YouTube, and you may find that growth on this ever-expanding website is hard, but I assure you, it gets easier the more effort you put into it.

The first 100 subscribers is hard because your content isn't reaching as many people as it should -- this is a fact. If you make a video on Minecraft, the Minecraft community is millions in size, but your video may only reach 12 people. This is because your channel is not as established as others.

However, to fix this, all you have to do is... keep making videos. It's that simple. If you keep making consistent videos, that are of good quality, you will slowly but surely start accumulating subscribers, whether that be 1 per day, or 10 per day.

Another reason why your first 100 subscribers is hard, is because your Channel is just a URL (for example: UCpWcUazsF7RWlY1y44svX2Q) and not a genuine link (/ChannelName). This becomes accessible at 100+ subscribers, and if people google "Channel Name", then you are more likely to find your YouTube link at the top.

So, my question to you is -- does a Custom URL increase Channel Traffic? You can vote in the poll above!

Thanks,

Kieran
I'm at 68 subs started uploading again and I have custom URL like 2yrs. So for me, there's no difference if it's custom or nah

I personally think the URL doesnt make that much a difference. It looks better then a bunch of seemingly random characters but if I'm telling someone about my channel in person or even over the web I just tell them 'search kraken soup' in YouTube. My tags make it possible to find me easy, once I've told you.

Then again I'm only on 34 so I can't preach this too much, just my opinion.
Very good answer. I feel that tags are a perfect way to utilize the traffic that you want/have.[DOUBLEPOST=1469184241,1469184225][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm finding the next 100 way harder than the first 100 right now haha
Keep going bro! You've got this!!![DOUBLEPOST=1469184353][/DOUBLEPOST]
A custom channel name aids in your identity, especially when you have that name on other social media accounts. With the same colors scheme, logos, headers, thumbnails, etc, across all media it makes the channel look more professional, shows the creator cares for the channel, and builds recognition across the platforms.
The first 100 is hard because in the YT algorithm's code, you have Zero channel authority. Almost every other channel is higher than yours in authority, hence gets promoted above yours. It's only when you start generating views, in our experience, 1k-2k per video, that you start to build authority and start to rank in search and suggested. It's more about views than subs. Once you are generating views, that translates into subs, not the other way around. It took us over 50 videos and 3 months before traffic picked up. I think that was at the 3k sub point. It's a hard slog for the first few k subs.
Keep at it never give up.
Very good answer. I feel that clearly portrays the struggles of a brand new channel. Views definitely have an impact on the amount of subscribers you get, because if they see a video with a large amount of views, they may feel its worth subscribing. I look at it like subscribers are paying to sub to your channel, so you have to make it worth the "cost" of the subscription. Then you're guaranteed to make high quality videos.[DOUBLEPOST=1469184375][/DOUBLEPOST]
I believe more in content just because when people find it and the content is good they're more likely to subscribe.
Good answer! Content is definitely huge in the growth of a small channel!

its hard because by definition a low sub channel doesn't have many videos and they would have to be really something special to get people to jump on from the start. but if you upload a few more and show people your serious then it will increase. but to me subs don't matter, views do.
True, good answer. Consistent content shows you're dedicated, making it more likely people will start to subscribe! The only reason I care about subscriber is:

1. It's them that are watching the videos
2. It's a personal goal I set in my mind.[DOUBLEPOST=1469184472,1469184441][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm with you on that. I actually reached 100 pretty fast...since then it's been so slow lol. I just hit 156!
Congrats mate! I'll definitely check out your channel! Keep uploading and you'll slowly get there![DOUBLEPOST=1469184498][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm at 68 subs started uploading again and I have custom URL like 2yrs. So for me, there's no difference if it's custom or nah
Hmm. Maybe a Custom URL only benefits your identity.

Back