Why Is My Channel Tanking The Last 2 Months?

damiend

Reaction score
Hey all, so I've got an 8 year old channel, that I've only been working on for the last 2 years.

I've got 50k subscribers, and until Feb, I was getting close to 3k subscribers a month.

I post 2 videos a week at the same day and time every week.

Since Jan, my channel has started to get a LOT fewer views and subscribers by a factor of almost 5x. In Jan I was getting 2.9k subscribers, in March, I'm getting 600 subscribers.

I'm not doing anything differently - Since Jan, my average view time has been higher on average because I've been working to improve the channel - I know some 'competitors' good guys who have very similar content that appeals to an identical audience, and their channels are doing well.

Can anyone give me any insight on what may have happened?

My channel is https://www.youtube.com/user/SchoolOfAttraction (mods feel free take this down if posting this is against the rules)

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I know Socialblade isn't 100% correct, but it's good enough to gain perspective. Your graph there shows significant "peaks and valleys" trend. It seems like you have months where some of your videos go viral, boosting your channel, followed by months where your traffic drops by 50% or more.
socialblade.png

Regarding March stats, COVID-19 happened, the whole world literally stopped. The magnitude of this sudden change is unlike anything we've seen in history books so far. It's no wonder a dating channel like yours suffered. Hundreds of millions of people suddenly changed their lifestyle, spending significantly more time at home, isolated & social distancing instead of socializing & dating.

Panic buying, stock market plunging into the abyss, jobs being lost, economy tanking... This creates radical ripple effects. The crisis will come to an end eventually though, so just ride it out and forget about the short-term losses.

Reactions: damiend

damiend

Reaction score
I know Socialblade isn't 100% correct, but it's good enough to gain perspective. Your graph there shows significant "peaks and valleys" trend. It seems like you have months where some of your videos go viral, boosting your channel, followed by months where your traffic drops by 50% or more.
View attachment 44186

Regarding March stats, COVID-19 happened, the whole world literally stopped. The magnitude of this sudden change is unlike anything we've seen in history books so far. It's no wonder a dating channel like yours suffered. Hundreds of millions of people suddenly changed their lifestyle, spending significantly more time at home, isolated & social distancing instead of socializing & dating.

Panic buying, stock market plunging into the abyss, jobs being lost, economy tanking... This creates radical ripple effects. The crisis will come to an end eventually though, so just ride it out and forget about the short-term losses.

Thanks for this
So yes I do have peaks and valleys, but my channel hasn't dropped dramatically in subscribers in a month mark without a reason (like holidays where I didn't make videos for a few weeks) - it's been steadily decreasing since Jan even though I've been keeping on making videos as always - Also regarding the Coronavirus - it's a good thought, but other similar-sized channels on the same topics are doing just fine without this corresponding drop - so from my understanding that somewhat rules that out as an explanation I would have thought?

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Thanks for this
So yes I do have peaks and valleys, but my channel hasn't dropped dramatically in subscribers in a month mark without a reason (like holidays where I didn't make videos for a few weeks) - it's been steadily decreasing since Jan even though I've been keeping on making videos as always - Also regarding the Coronavirus - it's a good thought, but other similar-sized channels on the same topics are doing just fine without this corresponding drop - so from my understanding that somewhat rules that out as an explanation I would have thought?
Nobody can answer you that question I'm afraid, we can only theorize. For example, I blew up in this month, my views almost quadrupled, I went from 200 subs/month to almost 2,000 subs/month. I did improve the video quality, but it took 4-5 videos produced like that for one of them to finally catch up and flood the channel with views. In all honesty, I don't know why that one video got 40k+ views in a month, but it happened. I had 0 expectations and was totally surprised by this. So, I won't despair when the channel inevitably goes back to where it was previously, because I totally expect that to happen, sooner or later.

YT is a rollercoaster and you have to ride it out.