Why is my channel still small?

Jaguar550

Not without Vakarian!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
k well
1. dont make your lets plays so long! You have like 20 minutes, thats long. Ask yourself. Would you watch a lets play of someone elses that just started youtube for that long?-PoisonousAvacado
This is a really good point what i also mentioned earlier in this thread. I think he ignored my post and keeps uploading very long video's. Just being a idiot i presume?

Brewbart

Reaction score
So I clicked on your channel and watched the first video that came up and then I went to the videos you have up. YouTube is a funny place. Success is measured in many ways. The things I have learned in the 1+ year of doing YouTube is that it is a portion of hardwork (quality content, marketing, advertising etc.) the rest of it is luck. While some people will disagree with me I will explain why I feel this way. I started this channel out in July of 2012. I was growing slowly putting a lot of work into my videos but was still happy with what I was achieving. I then went to PAX east 2013. Got some exclusive footage that got noticed by the "big" youtubers in my genre. The videos essentially blew up and then I gained a whole bunch of new followers. I then went back to my normal videos and my growth plateaued. More recently I have gone back to the exclusive reporting/searchable footage type videos and the growth is returning. What I have learned is as a smaller channel you need to do coverage of things that are going to be searched/noticed by people that otherwise won't know who or what you are about. I see that you seem to like doing let's plays. doing a mainly let's play channel is very hard to get off the ground sadly. So on top of the lets play videos you should also throw up some searchable videos take for example minecraft releasing the horses. That drove a lot of traffic to my channel because people were searching for content about it. Also for your Let's Play videos there has to be something that differentiates you from the Bigger Let's Play stars. But I do wish you luck in your adventure that is YouTube!

Reactions: Rozald Vane

Bayon

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Reporter, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer
It's honestly about the luck of the draw as well as networking. It's super tough. I'm right there with you man!

Rozald Vane

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
It's honestly about the luck of the draw as well as networking. It's super tough. I'm right there with you man!
Thanks, man. Also thanks for the tips, Brewbart. I will take in consideration of those things.[DOUBLEPOST=1384203922,1384203609][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is a really good point what i also mentioned earlier in this thread. I think he ignored my post and keeps uploading very long video's. Just being a idiot i presume?
Idiot? Are you being serious? I've written down notes from every one of these comments and try to compile as much things I can do. Length is not my case of why people don't subscribe. I just realized that maybe, I don't have enough advertising or great tags on my videos. So don't blame my length of my videos. Plus, I mentioned earlier that some of these games don't give me a point to end my videos. My usual aim is 30 minutes or less.

goblin123

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Thanks, man. Also thanks for the tips, Brewbart. I will take in consideration of those things.[DOUBLEPOST=1384203922,1384203609][/DOUBLEPOST]

Idiot? Are you being serious? I've written down notes from every one of these comments and try to compile as much things I can do. Length is not my case of why people don't subscribe. I just realized that maybe, I don't have enough advertising or great tags on my videos. So don't blame my length of my videos. Plus, I mentioned earlier that some of these games don't give me a point to end my videos. My usual aim is 30 minutes or less.
You don't understand how YouTube works. NOBODY is going to watch a video of you for 30 minutes if you're not established. Look at your audience retention if you don't believe me. Try making shorter videos to build up an audience and then return to the longer videos once you have an established audience.

Reactions: Jaguar550

Brewbart

Reaction score
It's nice when people want to help. But the personal attack on this poster I feel is really not necessary. I come here to trade advice and try to help out where I can. Why would you want to make this a hostile community?

Jaguar550

Not without Vakarian!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You don't understand how YouTube works. NOBODY is going to watch a video of you for 30 minutes if you're not established. Look at your audience retention if you don't believe me. Try making shorter videos to build up an audience and then return to the longer videos once you have an established audience.
Please give this dude a goddamn medal!

Rozald Vane

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
You know what? I'll try testing out the lengthwise video this coming weekend. If nothing has changed, then I consider that the lowest problem to my channel. If it is the highest problem, then I will try to change my ways with all the videos.

As for jaguar550, why do you keep making me feel bad? The way you say things to me makes me dislike this forum. I don't want to report you or anything because I'm a nice guy.

Jaguar550

Not without Vakarian!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
You know what? I'll try testing out the lengthwise video this coming weekend. If nothing has changed, then I consider that the lowest problem to my channel. If it is the highest problem, then I will try to change my ways with all the videos.

As for jaguar550, why do you keep making me feel bad? The way you say things to me makes me dislike this forum. I don't want to report you or anything because I'm a nice guy.
Yeah, it is just me being brutally honest again lol. I just can't stand that very small channels uploading very long video's. It is just wrong. Why do this anyway?(you're not the only one i see that on allot of similar channels) Audience Retention! Google it!

goblin123 just nailed it perfectly.

If you keep going making very long video's i can tell you your overall watch time will be horrible(will have major effect on search ranking). But it is your channel, do anything what you want.

Last edited:

gamerguyjoe

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I dont see any problem uploading 20 minute lets plays. How are you suppose to have a 5 minute lets play? you would accomplish nothing! I started with 20minute episodes and I did fine.