Why Is My Audience Retention So Low?

avronaYT

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Other
In the past few years I've really been spending a lot of time looking through my whole channel, through all my analytics, and over-analysing everything about my channel to try and finally find some reason for why it's only at 1.3k subs after 6 years, with most being inactive, and over 1k of them just being from a video made about me by a bigger channel. And the issue is that there seems to be nothing that should be causing that. I do the things the algorithm wants, at least all the ones I know of, and I've even upped the quality of my videos recently with a new camera, meaning all my videos are now uploaded in 4k, and yet still nothing, after so long. I've posted regularly, did as much algorithm worshiping tricks as I know, my CTR is fine and other stats that affect your standing with the algorithm seem fine also, and yet the channel is not growing whatever I do. The only stat is isn't really performing well is my retention, which is bizarre is as it barely went up over the years despite huge improvements in video quality. Could that low retention be the reason my chanel is performing so horribly? And if so how do I fix it?

I've even spent like a total of like £1500 on it over the last year alone on new equipment and still nothing. So any ideas on what could be causing this?

Not even paid reviewers or anyone else from the dozens of people I asked seem to be able to find some answers. If you need any more info or stats so we can solve this mystery once and for all please let me know!

Here's my channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/avrona

Stats for my last 5 videos:

Reactions: GiggaVega

Anthb

Reaction score
Well to be honest I don't think there is anything wrong with yours videos, unfortunately YouTube is just not showing them to the people who are Interested which is what alot of people are struggling with. The algorithm seems to be quite messed up there's videos way way worse quality than yours yet is getting pushed to millions of people a day.

avronaYT

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Other
Well to be honest I don't think there is anything wrong with yours videos, unfortunately YouTube is just not showing them to the people who are Interested which is what alot of people are struggling with. The algorithm seems to be quite messed up there's videos way way worse quality than yours yet is getting pushed to millions of people a day.
So is my channel just doomed then? Or is there any way for me to finally get it to grow after almost 7 years now?

Robtech

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So is my channel just doomed then? Or is there any way for me to finally get it to grow after almost 7 years now?
As someone in the same tech space. I can only recommend trying different types of videos and seeing what's successful. When you find something that does much better than usual. Create videos around that topic. You may be interested in viewing some videos from the VidIQ channel which provide tips on this. Find a niche and stick with it while building up an audience.

Views and average view duration is something I keep an eye on. I also sometimes look at where viewers are dropping off. I used to have an intro and got rid of it as most were skipping or exiting the video at that point.

From the stats you have shared, your thumbnails aren't working. The click through rate is too low. I'm around 8%, so you need to radically change things up there. Titles also can be tweaked. For example, the title of the Corsair video should have the model number near the beginning. Think about search intent, how are people searching for videos related to this product. Most of the time they'd search by "[brand] [model name/number] case". So those are your most important key words.

GiggaVega

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
The thing about growing & stuff like that is alone, today it is very difficult to get out there. There are millions of channels uploading millions of videos daily.
If you want Youtube to be you business & I think you do based on your monetary investments to improve the quality. Can I suggest looking into SEO managers. They are not free but they can definitely help you with things only business analysts know about.
Great luck :)

Maxemole

Resident Potato
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Have you considered paid ad campaigns? You can even start small and throw like $10 at a video or so. That might help boost some engagement and get some new subs rolling in.

evoloz

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
As someone mentioned above the click through rate is really quite low, which suggests issues with the thumbnail. As your stats show youtube showed you're video to over 1,000 people but you only got 58 views, so it's not so much as case of youtube not showing you channel but more a lack of interest from viewers.

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Oof, those CTRs are most likely the biggest culprit.

This is purely anecdotal evidence, but whenever my CTR dips below 15% for the first 300-500 views, that video is done, it will NOT get recommended on Homepage nowhere near as much as videos that do manage to maintain ~15% for the first couple hundred views. After that initial burst of views, if you can maintain 10% CTR for a while longer, that seems to be a sweet spot to keep getting suggested on Homepage for longer than 24-48 hours. At least for me. Tech niche might require even higher CTRs. Or maybe it's 10% site-wide, I don't know, but there is some minimum for everybody, I'm sure.

A video I uploaded 8-9 days ago managed to keep just a lil bit above 10% CTR consistently for the first 3-4 days, with average view duration of well over 5 minutes, amounting to almost 40% retention rate. I don't know whether this is a bare minimum required to get a big push by YT algo, but that was the best combination of metrics I managed to get so far and the video went semi-viral on Homepage, getting recommended 170k+ times and accumulating 22k+ views since upload.

Stuff that works for me:
- Contrast is everything. Make the letters colour pop out, "stab" viewers' eyes as much as possible - whenever I test thumbnails with stuff that blends in a bit more than it pops out, I get bad CTRs.
- Massive font size, as big as possible. Nowadays I routinely break 200px font sizes. I even further increase the width and height of letters to fill up as much of the space on the images as possible
- Fewer words are better, for the most part. Exceptions exist, use common sense and good judgement.
- Avoid putting text in the bottom right corner, that's where the video length is shown and people can't read words below it. Avoid putting anything important in the bottom right corner, period.
- Stroke. I just recently started putting very thick black stroke around the letters and thin white stroke around humanoid images. It worked better than I expected, so try it out.

I can't and won't guarantee you see any improvements after changing thumbnails according to my suggestions, but it is at least something to test out for yourself.

For audience retention, I've long been struggling to break 20% consistently. You seem to already be there for the most part. These day, I can get 30-40%, even though I still dip below with some videos, which is still kinda meh. As someone that has an incurable habit to ramble forever and ever if I don't stick to the script, my suggestion would be to prepare a word-for-word script beforehand and then simply read it. Don't do bullet points, type full sentences, just like you will be saying them in the video. Get into the habit of "sprinting" right away when recording your voice. For example, if you are talking about the top 5 graphics card, instead of having a long-winded intro about semi-relevant or even completely irrelevant stuff, get right to the point within the first 5 seconds.

Something like this:
"In this video, I'm going to tell you EXACTLY which 5 graphics cards to consider buying in 2020. If you don't want to miss out on this critically important information, keep watching, otherwise your life will be ruined! No, but seriously, stick around, all of your doubts will be resolved in just INSERT_LENGTH_OF_THE_VIDEO. The first and dearest to my heart, the one I use personally is INSERT_CARD_NAME... etc etc..."

Don't be afraid to be funny, edgy or "cringy" if need be, or just develop your own style, but make sure to keep it dynamic enough so that people don't fall asleep or simply zone out in the first few minutes. Realistically, you can squeeze at least 10% more retention by just "spitting fire" right away, instead of "hey guys, so I have been thinking about this for a while - these days there is a lot of misinformation about the subject of this video, so I wanted to clear out the confusion you might be having. Anyway, so my idea was to present this blahblahblah..."

Also, sometimes the topic of the video itself isn't that appealing to a larger audience. Or even if it is, the way you "angle" it with your thumbnail and title can still ruin your chances in the algorithm. For example, if talking about GPUs overheating problems, instead of "How to stop your GPU from overheating", you might want to gamble a bit and title your video "You're KILLING your GPU and here's why!" and then put a bloody hand holding a knife over a GPU, with a red word "MURDER!" and maybe even a biohazard sign. Actually, that might be the worst advice I've ever given out seeing how careful you have to be with words on YT these days, but I'm just throwing random ideas, not saying any of it would work. Sometimes, heck, oftentimes you have to present information in a way to catch people's attention, instead of relying on them to be already interested in the topic of your video.

Good luck!

Last edited:

xpdeus

Reaction score
Maybe try to add more relevant tags to your videos. Put main keyword in title and description too

avronaYT

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Other
The thing about growing & stuff like that is alone, today it is very difficult to get out there. There are millions of channels uploading millions of videos daily.
If you want Youtube to be you business & I think you do based on your monetary investments to improve the quality. Can I suggest looking into SEO managers. They are not free but they can definitely help you with things only business analysts know about.
Great luck :)
If by SEO managers you mean stuff like TubeBuddy I do already use it, and the paid version as well, however so far it hasn't helped whatsoever it seems.
Have you considered paid ad campaigns? You can even start small and throw like $10 at a video or so. That might help boost some engagement and get some new subs rolling in.
Sadly I don't have the money for that right now, mainly just been putting everything into more gear and items to cover for the channel, but will for sure try that in the future when the channel finally starts making some money. I'm finally close to getting monetised soon after these 6 long years so that could help.
Oof, those CTRs are most likely the biggest culprit.

This is purely anecdotal evidence, but whenever my CTR dips below 15% for the first 300-500 views, that video is done, it will NOT get recommended on Homepage nowhere near as much as videos that do manage to maintain ~15% for the first couple hundred views. After that initial burst of views, if you can maintain 10% CTR for a while longer, that seems to be a sweet spot to keep getting suggested on Homepage for longer than 24-48 hours. At least for me. Tech niche might require even higher CTRs. Or maybe it's 10% site-wide, I don't know, but there is some minimum for everybody, I'm sure.

A video I uploaded 8-9 days ago managed to keep just a lil bit above 10% CTR consistently for the first 3-4 days, with average view duration of well over 5 minutes, amounting to almost 40% retention rate. I don't know whether this is a bare minimum required to get a big push by YT algo, but that was the best combination of metrics I managed to get so far and the video went semi-viral on Homepage, getting recommended 170k+ times and accumulating 22k+ views since upload.

Stuff that works for me:
- Contrast is everything. Make the letters colour pop out, "stab" viewers' eyes as much as possible - whenever I test thumbnails with stuff that blends in a bit more than it pops out, I get bad CTRs.
- Massive font size, as big as possible. Nowadays I routinely break 200px font sizes. I even further increase the width and height of letters to fill up as much of the space on the images as possible
- Fewer words are better, for the most part. Exceptions exist, use common sense and good judgement.
- Avoid putting text in the bottom right corner, that's where the video length is shown and people can't read words below it. Avoid putting anything important in the bottom right corner, period.
- Stroke. I just recently started putting very thick black stroke around the letters and thin white stroke around humanoid images. It worked better than I expected, so try it out.

I can't and won't guarantee you see any improvements after changing thumbnails according to my suggestions, but it is at least something to test out for yourself.

For audience retention, I've long been struggling to break 20% consistently. You seem to already be there for the most part. These day, I can get 30-40%, even though I still dip below with some videos, which is still kinda meh. As someone that has an incurable habit to ramble forever and ever if I don't stick to the script, my suggestion would be to prepare a word-for-word script beforehand and then simply read it. Don't do bullet points, type full sentences, just like you will be saying them in the video. Get into the habit of "sprinting" right away when recording your voice. For example, if you are talking about the top 5 graphics card, instead of having a long-winded intro about semi-relevant or even completely irrelevant stuff, get right to the point within the first 5 seconds.

Something like this:
"In this video, I'm going to tell you EXACTLY which 5 graphics cards to consider buying in 2020. If you don't want to miss out on this critically important information, keep watching, otherwise your life will be ruined! No, but seriously, stick around, all of your doubts will be resolved in just INSERT_LENGTH_OF_THE_VIDEO. The first and dearest to my heart, the one I use personally is INSERT_CARD_NAME... etc etc..."

Don't be afraid to be funny, edgy or "cringy" if need be, or just develop your own style, but make sure to keep it dynamic enough so that people don't fall asleep or simply zone out in the first few minutes. Realistically, you can squeeze at least 10% more retention by just "spitting fire" right away, instead of "hey guys, so I have been thinking about this for a while - these days there is a lot of misinformation about the subject of this video, so I wanted to clear out the confusion you might be having. Anyway, so my idea was to present this blahblahblah..."

Also, sometimes the topic of the video itself isn't that appealing to a larger audience. Or even if it is, the way you "angle" it with your thumbnail and title can still ruin your chances in the algorithm. For example, if talking about GPUs overheating problems, instead of "How to stop your GPU from overheating", you might want to gamble a bit and title your video "You're KILLING your GPU and here's why!" and then put a bloody hand holding a knife over a GPU, with a red word "MURDER!" and maybe even a biohazard sign. Actually, that might be the worst advice I've ever given out seeing how careful you have to be with words on YT these days, but I'm just throwing random ideas, not saying any of it would work. Sometimes, heck, oftentimes you have to present information in a way to catch people's attention, instead of relying on them to be already interested in the topic of your video.

Good luck!
From what I've seen everywhere, everyone seems to say that at least a CTR of 3% or above is good, and pretty much all my videos are above that, going even into the 6-7% territory, so is that really an issue? Also I was actually planning on implementing a slightly different style to my thumbnails based on a whole load of stuff that a few YouTube gurus shared back when I went to VidCon London in Feb, so I'm just gonna hope they will finally help, as apart from that I'm kind out of things to change again, and if that doesn't help the channel grow after almost 7 years now, then it's gonna be even more confusing.
As someone mentioned above the click through rate is really quite low, which suggests issues with the thumbnail. As your stats show youtube showed you're video to over 1,000 people but you only got 58 views, so it's not so much as case of youtube not showing you channel but more a lack of interest from viewers.
So how can I get that viewer interest then if that might be the problem? Though I guess that the low overall impressions for a 6 year old channel is probably still a large part of the problem, so how can that be fixed also?
Maybe try to add more relevant tags to your videos. Put main keyword in title and description too
That's what I do in all my videos already, and been doing it for years however sadly still nothing.