Why do Youtubers use their most viewed recent video as the channel trailer?

EVIL Humor

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Most Youtubers use their most viewed video of the past months as their channel trailer. If it's a very successful video they will even use a 6+ months old video as the channel trailer.

Why is that a good choice?

I'm in a weird spot with 350k views but only 1 video on my channel. When I will upload my 2nd and 3rd video which will probably only have 5k views in the first few weeks, wouldn't it be good to use one of those less known videos as the channel trailer so it gets many views from the channel visitors who came from my more popular 1st video?

Vicboss

The Man who sold the world
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
well if i was to use my most successful video as my trailer it would probably be do to the fact that video gained so much recognition and chances are if thats the first thing people see they will be more likely to subscribe. atleast thats what i think

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
for me personally, making a channel trailer will take me months just like my normal videos do, and I feel it's not as important as getting another true video out. Right now i tend to switch it every now and then to something the subs might have missed, but I don't have a lot of uploads and you can binge watch my entire channel in like 20 minutes.

I would like to make one though, but really, what can I do im so lost. It needs to be funny, catching, explains the channel, and encourages people to stay,
thats a tough as heck vid to make in my opinion xD

EVIL Humor

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
for me personally, making a channel trailer will take me months just like my normal videos do, and I feel it's not as important as getting another true video out. Right now i tend to switch it every now and then to something the subs might have missed, but I don't have a lot of uploads and you can binge watch my entire channel in like 20 minutes.

I would like to make one though, but really, what can I do im so lost. It needs to be funny, catching, explains the channel, and encourages people to stay,
thats a tough as heck vid to make in my opinion xD
I didn't mean that and maybe "channel trailer" is the wrong word. I mean featuring a normal video on your main page like a channel trailer. The question is whether to feature a popular video or a new video hoping to make it popular.

Reactions: Lightsen

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I didn't mean that and maybe "channel trailer" is the wrong word. I mean featuring a normal video on your main page like a channel trailer. The question is whether to feature a popular video or a new video hoping to make it popular.
ah right, maybe the first of a series would be a good choice?

Reactions: EVIL Humor

Squeal Cat

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
First of all congrats on the view count of your video. That's really something.

The problem with the channel trailer is: They don't count as a Youtube view. A requirement is people should start the video before it's counted as a view. Channel trailers automatically starts, so that doesn't count as a view.

So I don't really agree with people putting their best video as channel trailer. But that's just my personal opinion.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
First of all congrats on the view count of your video. That's really something.

The problem with the channel trailer is: They don't count as a Youtube view. A requirement is people should start the video before it's counted as a view. Channel trailers automatically starts, so that doesn't count as a view.

So I don't really agree with people putting their best video as channel trailer. But that's just my personal opinion.
really? I had no idea! thats a shame, even if they watch all the way through? Maybe I will make a trailer then ^v^