How did you start?

• Total voters

Arthurise

Reaction score
For now I'm doing it because it's keeping me on my toes and I'm learning new skills all the time. I have a few subscribers that like my videos so I'm also doing it for them.
I also would like to be big enough one day to do charity live streams. They are my absolute favourite videos to watch, it seems to bring out the best in people!

Reactions: GrannyGamer

BeardyVlogs

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
For me, I got into youtube from watching youtubers, but mainly as a hobby and to learn a new skill. I love being able to look back at a video that took days to film and edit with pride.

I really enjoy the filming and editing part even if people do not watch the videos (obviously that is the ultimate goal, however, the point still stands) and I don't mind if it takes 15-20 hours to make the video becuase I am having fun doing it.
I hear ya! Do you find that you ever look back at your videos and think they are not good enough though?[DOUBLEPOST=1551692314,1551692219][/DOUBLEPOST]
I do it because I am passionate about creating things. music, photos,videos, art in general! This kinda took on a life of its own. i made a commitment to myself to post at least once a week for a year I accomplished that goal and my channel grew a bit( much as I had hoped though) now I cant NOT do it. its like failure is not an option. I cant let down the subs even though i don't have many. and I cant let my self down.
it is an exercise in patience and discipline. fighting through the feelings of uncertainty, self doubt, and discouragement. It is difficult and I feel like it is building my character and maybe this will be important later in my life to learn these lessons.
plus its really fun! :)
Congrats on uploading for a year dude! Did you ever miss an upload in that year? and have you changed or been tempted to change your upload frequency from once a week?

GrannyGamer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
I hear ya! Do you find that you ever look back at your videos and think they are not good enough though?[DOUBLEPOST=1551692314,1551692219][/DOUBLEPOST]
Congrats on uploading for a year dude! Did you ever miss an upload in that year? and have you changed or been tempted to change your upload frequency from once a week?
I think that's something all creators will do, especially when just starting out. It's all part of the process and allows us to grow and improve with experience. I just had a sneak peak at your latest video, you have a lovely family and I like the idea of sharing everyday moments, they will be so precious to you especially in a few years as you see your children grow. Good luck with it :)

Reactions: BeardyVlogs

BeardyVlogs

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think that's something all creators will do, especially when just starting out. It's all part of the process and allows us to grow and improve with experience. I just had a sneak peak at your latest video, you have a lovely family and I like the idea of sharing everyday moments, they will be so precious to you especially in a few years as you see your children grow. Good luck with it :)
Very true! The only way is up as they say :) ah thank you, thats kind of you to say! I think that is part of the reason why i vlog actually...to have lovely memories to look back on. It will also give my son something to look back on and see how he was as a kid (if youtube is still around by then ha!)

GrannyGamer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Very true! The only way is up as they say :) ah thank you, thats kind of you to say! I think that is part of the reason why i vlog actually...to have lovely memories to look back on. It will also give my son something to look back on and see how he was as a kid (if youtube is still around by then ha!)
I'm sure it will, it's a beautiful thing to do and wonderful we have that kind of technology now to be able to do that! :bounce:

BeardyVlogs

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'm sure it will, it's a beautiful thing to do and wonderful we have that kind of technology now to be able to do that! :bounce:
Makes ya wonder what kind of tech we will have in the future too!! Also i forgot to mention it in my last reply...but congrats on uploading at your age!! AND even more so gaming videos, thats fricking awesome!!

GrannyGamer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
hahahaha, that gave me a great laugh! It suddenly made me feel so old lol, I know you didn't mean it that way but yeah I know it's different. I wish I knew about youtube and gaming years ago, I would've started then, when I was younger LOL. I figure, I love playing games and trying out new ones, now I can share the experience and meet new people (my real life friends don't share my passion lol) it has been very rewarding for me. I was actually inspired by a youtuber called Shirley Curry, check this out, she started in 2011 and was 82! That means she must be 90 now and she's head for 1/2mill subs! She's awesome to watch, I love her to bits.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzkY7wa8Ksxv4M5NyUYgTmA/featured

BeardyVlogs

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
hahahaha, that gave me a great laugh! It suddenly made me feel so old lol, I know you didn't mean it that way but yeah I know it's different. I wish I knew about youtube and gaming years ago, I would've started then, when I was younger LOL. I figure, I love playing games and trying out new ones, now I can share the experience and meet new people (my real life friends don't share my passion lol) it has been very rewarding for me. I was actually inspired by a youtuber called Shirley Curry, check this out, she started in 2011 and was 82! That means she must be 90 now and she's head for 1/2mill subs! She's awesome to watch, I love her to bits.
Ha well glad you had a laugh out of it! Blimey...90?! bet that makes you feel a lot younger now ay :) cor imagine being 90 and a youtuber...thats pretty incredible

Destroyer30i6

I've Got It
Reaction score
I hear ya! Do you find that you ever look back at your videos and think they are not good enough though?
Yeah I find that all the time haha... "What was I thinking....?!" or "I can't believe I found that funny!" haha.. but I am proud of the skills I have gained from doing this and each video (no matter how bad it was..) helped me to get here.

KudoJin

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Boy I could make a whole video about this (in fact I might one day). I'm about to talk about a whole bunch of old channels I used to run but even if someone asks I won't say what they are since I'm trying to keep those separate from my current channel.

So when I first started uploading videos to YouTube, I wanted to entertain people. It was a loooong time ago. I was in high school and it was 2011 (I think). I was inspired by watching a bunch of YouTubers online (mostly gaming at the time, but also things like "Is it a good idea to microwave this?" and "Will it blend?"). I had just gone on a binge watch of an old Japanese trivia-based TV show called "The Fountain of Trivia" (トリビアの泉) and decided I wanted to start a channel based on telling people stupid and useless facts that they can feel smart about knowing but will have absolutely zero usefulness in their life.

I made one video and then high school got in the way of making any more videos but it set me on a road I'm still going down now. Making that video was fun. Really really fun.

The next summer I was inspired by a bunch of gaming YouTubers and started a gaming channel. Then school got in the way and kept getting in the way. I started thinking of even branching off to other things.

It was just fun. I loved seeing my friends reactions when they watched my videos, seeing their laughter and smiles. Eventually I realized, I loved doing exactly that.

The exact reason for my current channel is a wall of text for another time, but as for YouTube in general? This is how I got started and why I keep doing it.