why do the average youtube viewers never comment?

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
So, I have pretty good engagement time usually people stay around 60 70% of my videos and these are all legit 100% viewers either from searches or subs.
absolutely no sub4sub or anything of that nature. I would say my views to sub ratio is pretty decent (i have 300 subs now) but I barely get any comments
dont get why? I mean if people are watching almost my entire video, why is it they just dont leave a comment lol. Do you guys have that issue as well?

GearGasms

Reaction score
I do, to a degree, but I'll take no comments over awful ones. I think it depends on the topic and whether that topic lends itself to commenting or a debate of some sort

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
A lot of viewers watch YouTube on their phones where it's a lot more hassle to type out a comment. :)

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Good one @Crown, hadn't thought of that.

It also really depends on what your content is. For example my last two video were quite personal stories with my own views and opinions strongly present. This led to people reacting in the comments, giving their own view an giving me support. One video has 18 comments and the other one 26 (including my reactions of course), so that's pretty high for me.

People need to have something to comment about. Invite them to give their opinion on things, but also know your audience. If you have a lot of fellow motorcrossers in your audience, maybe discuss a technique or something you changed on your bike and tell them 'let me know in the comments if you agree or if you have a better idea' or something. If your audience is more casual, maybe ask your audience to let you know what their favorite part/trick was. Lot of people need a prod to actually start typing and people looove giving their opinion :p

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Most of the time, I just want to relax and watch video.
People watch TV all day long, it's no different.

Reactions: Crown

thefourwinds

Reaction score
Ask them a question at the end and they will comment. Usually people don't say anything because they don't know what to say...

Tito Tims Videos

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
What is there to comment on? Do you ask them anything? Are your vids the type that should spark a discussion?

When I view vids a lot of what I watch requires no comment (Ellen, Cordon, Kimmel etc). On movie reviews it is fun to discuss the movie. I try not to comment on political or religious vids - unless I am just in the mood to engage some trolls.

I make travel/retirement vids. Most of my comments are 'looks nice' kind of comments. I do not get a lot of comments, but there is not much to say. I went up a mountain, to the beach, a new restaurant... I do try to reply to every comment, hoping to encourage more. I do get some questions about travel visas, prices etc but not really much.

GearGasms

Reaction score
It's always good for traffic if two or more viewers decide to argue about something in the comments. YT rates comment activity among other things, in it's dreaded algorithm

kevintracy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Most of the time, I just want to relax and watch video.
People watch TV all day long, it's no different.
I agree. I think people are consolidating where they're communicating at. Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram are where people go to interact. YouTube and Netflix are where you go to be entertained. Plus, after years and years of being mostly ignored by bloggers and news sites, I think people are slowly abandoning the idea that leaving a comment will ever have anything good come from it. Even though I always reply to my commenters on both my website and social media pages, I'm noticing that comments from new people have been getting ever so much more rare in the past few years.

A lot of viewers watch YouTube on their phones where it's a lot more hassle to type out a comment. :)
I suppose it could be this, too. Fewer keyboards means fewer keyboard warriors.

Anyway, cherish the commenters you do get and keep them happy by talking to them and building those relationships. Maybe someone else will see a conversation with the creator, subscribe, and join your discussions in the future.