Why do I do YouTube? Because it's fun!

Eoin_Mac

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
When I look at the miserable response to my little music videos I sometimes get discouraged. A lot discouraged!

But then I remind myself that I have no plans to monetize! I'm not trying to gain 1M subscribers; I'm not trying to go viral, and I'm not trying to make myself YouTube's "next big thing". I'm just having a wee bit of fun.

It all started by accident when I was playing ukulele in the garden. I'd already been posting flower pictures on Twitter and one day I decided that it'd be nice to do a wee tune among the flowers. So I put the music and the flowers together in little video vignettes.

That's when I started a very badly-named YouTube channel (Eoin Mac Choilm, which nobody could spell or remember), but I got a few views and changed my channel name to nojigs, a little more memorable.

It's probably an ultra-niche channel - old folk tunes from Britain, Ireland and Appalachia played in nice gardens or old graveyards - but I love making the videos and have gradually upped my game on production values.

My tunes and songs are simply played, with pleasant but thoughtful videos. That's all I can offer. I'd love advice on how to grow the channel, but the nature of what I do means that I can never guarantee a specific upload schedule.

Given that, every single view is precious; every like is a bonus and every new sub is like a Christmas present. In other words, there's something for even the smallest creator to enjoy on YouTube, whether or not we ever hit the sweet spot in the YT algorithim.

Keep creating. But don't forget that it should be fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllVisuals4U