Why continue making YouTube videos? Habits of a successful person?

TheEzeJC

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Lately I have found myself procrastinating making videos. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy making content, but I feel like I’m talking myself out of recording videos. Instead I use that time to “learn something I will apply to
my videos” or just live stream.

I researched into why I felt lazy to record and people call it burn out. I don’t believe it’s entirely burn out because I still have some ideas and passion. If anyone has any clue to what it might be, please do share.

TLDR; What is your creative process and motivation to continue?

Min/Max Munchking

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Welcome to my world lol. To answer your question, first and foremost, I am an addict to escapist activities, so Dungeons & Dragons fits that need almost perfectly. Second, I won't lie, I need the money and YT nowadays is my main income source. I do catch smaller freelance gigs every now and then, but nothing that lasts more than a week or a month, so YT is my bread and butter.

Psychologically, I experience a similar roller-coaster of emotions in my video uploading cycle. I get hyped up and excited when I finally get everything done and publish the video, only for me to gradually sink into the analysis-paralysis and procrastination 2-4 days after. I'm currently in that phase, I can feel it, it's been 3 and a half days since I uploaded the last video and all I've been doing is starring at my materials for the past 2 days, not getting much done, just thinking and thinking instead of doing and doing...

It's still hard for me to manage these irrational human behavioural patterns at times. It might be due to lack of discipline, determination and willpower, it might be due to fear of failure and self-doubt. I'm improving gradually, I get more stuff done nowadays compared to just a year ago and these mood-swings are less severe these days, but I still go through them every time.

I believe every creator goes through this cycle at least to some extent. Some deal with it way better and crank out one new video after another seemingly without any issues, but it takes a lot of work on yourself, your workflow, routines, habits etc. I don't believe there's some "switch" which you just get to flip up or down to magically become a merciless video making machine.

As the channel grows, you grow yourself as a person, and vice versa.

Keep uploading.

Reactions: TheEzeJC

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Yeah, it's basically procrastination and avoiding the routine tasks which are in fact the most important. Success doesn't come from a single major breakthrough that happens overnight. It comes from taking consistent action on the "small" tasks that most people don't want to do.

What is your creative process and motivation to continue?
I found that "motivation" isn't the answer. If you wait to feel motivated and pumped, you'll never get anything done. It's discipline that you need. The discipline to do the stuff that is important, when it needs to be done, whether you feel like it or not. That skill of discipline is the common trait of all successful people. Everyone else just talks a big game and wastes their time.

1)You have to identify your goals.
2)Then from those goals, identify the tasks that will actually move you towards those goals the quickest. Also identify all the other related tasks that are tempting but don't really make much of a difference. You need to make sure you don't waste your time on those tasks. - You'll probably find that there are only 2-3 important tasks that will really "move the needle" towards your goals and there'll be about 7-8 tasks that hardly make a difference but are very time-consuming. This is called the "pareto principle" Basically 80% of your results will come from only 20% of the tasks. (the 2 important ones) - Inversely, 80% of the tasks (the bs timewasting ones) will only generate 20% of the desired results.
3) Make sure, you spend most of your time doing the 2-3 tasks that really move the needle. If you do that consistently, you will make progress. It's all about working smartly and productively.

To apply this to YouTube - It's simple. Your goal is to grow a channel.
The productive tasks (20%) that will move the needle are:
-Making excellent quality videos that you upload consistently like clockwork
-Practising good SEO on those videos (keyword research, good metadata)
-Good thumbnails

And all the bs tasks that are fun and make you feel good but are a huge waste of time (80%):
-Spending hours every week changing a banner, logo, intro.
-Wasting hours on reddit and social media.
-Watching other people's videos.
-Spending hours every week commenting on other people's vids.
-Spending hours every week trying to promote your videos on 3 rd party websites.
-Sub4sub
-Collabs and trying to get shoutouts.
etc
etc

Basically, it come down to making amazing videos with a good thumbnail and good SEO and doing it consistently week in week out and not getting distracted by all the other bs. It's all about taking action on only the things that matter and being laser-focused. :)

There is a book I recommend that helped me a lot with this:

Good luck. :)

Vladdy

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Lately I have found myself procrastinating making videos. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy making content, but I feel like I’m talking myself out of recording videos. Instead I use that time to “learn something I will apply to
my videos” or just live stream.

I researched into why I felt lazy to record and people call it burn out. I don’t believe it’s entirely burn out because I still have some ideas and passion. If anyone has any clue to what it might be, please do share.

TLDR; What is your creative process and motivation to continue?
Yeah it’s always like that with people (not only youtubers). I just started YouTube channel, so I still have the desire to make content. But also, I’m trying to get into acting (which demands a lot of time and creativity). People are pretty lazy in general, I guess that’s in our nature. Instead of working hard and learn something we always prefer to do easier tasks and procrastinate. So what helps me to keep pushing and learning and creating is not motivation. In all honesty, you get motivated only when you start doing something. How many times you had the situation, when you start doing small task and all of the sudden find yourself get completely involved in the process? So you gotta force yourself to do so, and motivation will come when you see the results

Call me tom

Reaction score
Persist in uploading high-quality videos, no matter whether YouTube ’s recommendation system recommends my videos, when your channel video reaches a certain number, the viewing volume will also increase (of course I pay great attention to the quality of the video););)