Why can I have a channel with the same name as someone else?

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I thought this would be like with twitter "someone else is already using this name" etc

But, apparently not. I just tried a name and then searched for it because I thought to myself, that this name has definitely been taken. And there are two channels with the same (now three if you include mine)

Am I missing something, or is that just the way it is. Whats to stop me creating another pewdiepie and reaping benefits from searches?

I always though channel names were unique.

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
URL Will be different.

In addition once you pass 100k subs you can get verified which gives you a tick showing that you're the real deal.

Reactions: nad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
This always used to be the case but changed a few years back when YouTube allowed the creation of brand channels (which allows one YouTube account to have up to 50 channels - each with a unique URL). Once you get over a certain number of subscribers you can claim a username which will change the random set of numbers and letters after /channel/ with a more readable URL and this will be yours - but the name of the channel can still be changed and isn't guaranteed to be unique.

Hope this helps!

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It can definitely lead to a lot of frustration, but I'm guessing due to the number of channels that are created and retired (or abandoned) on YouTube, I can understand the decision not to require all channels to be unique in terms of name.

Reactions: coliwob