Why Are Prank Channels Hated So Much?!?!

Should I Convert To A Prank Channel

• Yes

• No

• Do a mixture of videos

Results are only viewable after voting.

lastnamebanks

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I live in Connecticut if you lived within 2 hours I would totally collab and do some pranks man. I need people that are driven like it am and I have a great name for a prank channel but for now I just do daily vlogs. Been going for almost 2 months now, I might do a few pranks I just need to find a wireless microphone that I can put on my shirt.
Me to I've been trying to find out which mic they use. So I can do a video of me trying to talk to girls. But the type of prank I did was on my girlfriend in my house so I just hid my shotgun mic close to were we were going to be.

ColbzVlogz

YouTube sensation
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
A Youtuber who has a subscriber base of 200k who got there by doing something very specific like gaming, making animations or whatever, can suddenly make Vlogs about his life from time to time. That Vlog won't get as much views for sure, but it has a much better chance to rank high in search compared to a smaller youtuber doing the same thing.

It's actually how I was able to pivot from affirmation videos which was more narrow to book reviews. Then from book reviews I could start talking about whatever if I choose.
Yeah but that also eliminates the ability to experiment with different ideas that could potentially propel the content creator to success. If something isn't working out for you then maybe trying something different will until you get that niche that attracts a large audience.

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Yeah but that also eliminates the ability to experiment with different ideas that could potentially propel the content creator to success. If something isn't working out for you then maybe trying something different will until you get that niche that attracts a large audience.
I never said I was against experimentation, especially when you're starting out. But I try to follow the 80-20 rule, that is spending 80% of your time making content that works, and 20% of experimenting. Now if you find something in the 20% that's working great, then you can consider re-adjusting your 80% to include it.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think there are a number of reasons why people may feel negatively about prank videos:
  1. They may be seen as inauthentic or fake
  2. They could be mean-spirited or hateful
  3. They could denigrate a certain class of people
  4. They may have the potential for actual physical harm
If it's something that works for your numbers, then it's worth exploring, but it's definitely worth considering what the implications may be to people who are looking at your channel, if you're worried about how your channel may be perceived by going this route.

lastnamebanks

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
...if you're worried about how your channel may be perceived by going this route.
Exactly. That's what I'm worried about, but now at least I know what type of pranks people hate so I can avoid those. Because I hate those type of pranks also. Like if you punch someone in the face you can't just say it's a prank and expect them not to get mad.

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You are missing the most important option in your poll:

I do what I want!

If you feel comfortable doing pranks go ahead! It all depends on the pranks if you are going to be hated. Joseph Costello comes to mind. People hate him with a passion. But he is pretty successful at what he does. In the end it is all about you. If you want to do it, JUST DO IT!

GucciCarry

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
A lot of those big pranksters fake their stuff thats why they're hated.

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
Because people hate being pranked.
And it's often not "pranks" anymore either.

TaxOwlbear

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Most prank videos will either be staged or, if they are not staged, violate people's privacy. Neither is great.