Whole channel demonetised for "spam content"!? Suspended from Partner Program

MeachamLake

Reaction score
Hi Yttalk,

I've seen a lot of other recent threads that have similar stories to mine, so I thought I would share to see if anybody has some advice.

Last week a message popped up on my Youtube channel (dominicrusho) stating that my participation in the partner programme has been suspended and all my videos have been demonetised. I have not received any emails or prior communications warning me of this, nor have I ever received any strikes in my many years on Youtube.

Apparently I have been done for uploading "spam content'...I must stress that I make all the individual videos myself and I put time and effort into animating and editing them.

I did recently make some compilation videos of my own content - could this be what is causing the suspension? Would removing these videos help my cause when resubmitting my application in a few weeks?

I feel like I'm at a loss as to my next steps because YouTube have taken away my ability to contact anybody at their support team. If anybody knows a way to email them it would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Perhaps it is that you use copyrighted characters in your animation.
Youtube does not care if you do great work in your channel
but you use "cars" characters that belong to a company...
Just my guess. :)

(edit: nice channel though, and lots of effort I guess to make all this...)

MeachamLake

Reaction score
Perhaps it is that you use copyrighted characters in your animation.
Youtube does not care if you do great work in your channel
but you use "cars" characters that belong to a company...
Just my guess. :)

(edit: nice channel though, and lots of effort I guess to make all this...)

I hope not. I was always under the impression that it was fair use regarding the use of characters, particularly since I was creating the animations myself. If this is the end of the road, then so be it - I had a good run.

I guess I can only make some changes and re-apply to be a partner in a few weeks time.

Reactions: videoeditgr

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is happening to a lot of people. YouTube is informing MCNs to drop content creators that are deemed "advertiser unfriendly"
(which often means that YouTube just doesn't like them for political reasons) and the MCNs have to do what YouTube says. There is probably nothing wrong with any of these channels, considering they are all completely green with no copyright or community strikes. YouTube just doesn't like some people.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician

I hope not. I was always under the impression that it was fair use regarding the use of characters, particularly since I was creating the animations myself. If this is the end of the road, then so be it - I had a good run.

I guess I can only make some changes and re-apply to be a partner in a few weeks time.
I am noticing a lot of "cross-talk" between here and the official YouTube Help Forum. That said...

It isn't Fair Use at all, @MeachamLake. What you are really doing is called "creating unauthorized derivative works". What this means is you are creating animations after copyrighted or trademarked characters without the permission of the Intellectual Property Owner behind those characters.

Unless you get Pixar's and Disney's permission for your videos (and prove you have that permission to YouTube's satisfaction), you are looking at removing all of your content that utilizes those characters and beginning again from scratch.

pisca

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi Yttalk,

I did recently make some compilation videos of my own content - could this be what is causing the suspension? Would removing these videos help my cause when resubmitting my application in a few weeks?
!
I think your mistake was just doing compilation, delete them and try to request new monetization.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was always under the impression that it was fair use regarding the use of characters, particularly since I was creating the animations myself. If this is the end of the road, then so be it - I had a good run.
This is an area where I don't think you will be successful. You are taking copyrighted images/characters and re-drawing them yourself. They are still recognizable. You are using their copyrighted names in the titles, tags and description. It's akin to Chinese knock-off toys. It's recognizable as the 'real thing' but they aren't licensed.

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

Wakanda

Reaction score
I am noticing a lot of "cross-talk" between here and the official YouTube Help Forum. That said...

It isn't Fair Use at all, @MeachamLake. What you are really doing is called "creating unauthorized derivative works". What this means is you are creating animations after copyrighted or trademarked characters without the permission of the Intellectual Property Owner behind those characters.

Unless you get Pixar's and Disney's permission for your videos (and prove you have that permission to YouTube's satisfaction), you are looking at removing all of your content that utilizes those characters and beginning again from scratch.
Why not hit him with copyright strikes instead?

It seems Youtube is hellbent on shrinking monetization to dissuade as many from uploads which are a cost to them

Reactions: UKHypnotist