Who holds the copyright?

Brooke Lustig

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted to check in with the community here with a copyright question. If I buy the rights of a royalty free instrumental track, create lyrics to the instrumental, record, mix and master the song. Who holds the copyright to the song?

I'm assuming, I do. Is this a correct assumption?

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
You are in error.

Most standard royalty-free music licenses prohibit mixing a lyric set with the instrumental track to form a complete song. The copyright to RF music remains with either the publisher, or the music's composer, depending on the contents of the contract the composer has with the publishing house.

You license the right to use the music in your video project, not the right to create a song; doing that would be called "creating an unauthorized derivative work".

This will happen because you hold no copyright in the music itself; you only hold non-exclusive use rights.

Last edited:

Brooke Lustig

Reaction score
Thanks for the response!

I looked at the license agreement when purchasing the instrumental and I see nothing prohibiting mixing a lyric set. I understand the composer have the right of the instrumental since they are not selling exclusive rights but I'm wondering about the lyrics created to the instrumental? Surely, the songwriter would have the rights to the lyrics/text? Or I'm wrong again:)

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
Thanks for the response!

I looked at the license agreement when purchasing the instrumental and I see nothing prohibiting mixing a lyric set. I understand the composer have the right of the instrumental since they are not selling exclusive rights but I'm wondering about the lyrics created to the instrumental? Surely, the songwriter would have the rights to the lyrics/text? Or I'm wrong again:)
You would indeed have the rights to the lyrics. Can you name the site you licensed the instrumental from? I am very experienced in interpretation of stock licenses, being an RF composer in my own right.