Which Thumbnail is better?

Steverd

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Any thoughts on the two thumb nails? It's for a retro gaming channel I have and I talk about old arcade games that people never heard of before. I want something I can use for a series of videos and maybe just change the Arcade Marquee in the thumbnail. Feel free to upload anything better please.
1. The space background - I was thinking something like space because of the Ancient Aliens font
2. What background - my wife likes how it's simple and stands out
3. a Typical zig-zag or stripe background - classic, but over used?

thumb1A.jpg

thumb1B.jpg

thumb1C.jpg

THOUGHTS Please!

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree with your wife. You should alwats agree with your wife mate.. :)

Destroyer30i6

I've Got It
Reaction score
Yeah the second one looks decent, I don't know if the white background needs a boarder to help make it stand out, just a thought, I prefer the 2nd one :)

Lopideon

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I like the second one, but the font is a bit small. Some key questions to answer when making a thumbnail are: Would everyone be able to read it on mobile phones? Can others guess the content of my video by the thumbnail alone? Is it clean or cluttered?
I think the Moon Shuttle Art gives the viewer a good clue as to the content of the video, so I would keep it. Maybe make it cover a larger portion, so it's more visible, even.
As for the Ancient Aliens schtick, I would never have gotten it. I think it's an obscure History Channel reference that's not doing you any favors for the long run. Ancient Arcades is a good series name, but I would make the font of "Ancient" consistent with the font of "Arcades."
You may already have it, but the font I would recommend is "Praetorian", AKA the font you used to write "Arcades".
As for the three backgrounds, I would pick the one in which the font is most readable, and which is not too busy or cluttering. This is why I picked the thumbnail with the white background. The text is legible, and I'm not distracted by a vibrant color or a busy pattern.

I've pumped out a render to show you what I mean.AA Moon Shuttle.jpg

I hope this helps.

Steverd

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you everyone, Thank you for the redo Lopidean,
I had to re-read your message and it was very helpful.
You make alot of sense and I appreciate the advice!

And thank you again.
Steve

Brother Tubes

Reaction score
I think 2nd is best as (1st choice), 3 is the 2nd choice and try not to use 1st.

Use "2. What background - my wife likes how it's simple and stands out" it will get you more views for since it is attractive thumbnail

Tengri

Reaction score
Website
Tumbnail.com
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Designer
I really like the white background! Your wife has a taste. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Cragcloud

Reaction score
I agree. The white background stands out more as the contrast is more clearer, and is more simple and easier to read.

RobinRuby

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The second one is the best.
The white background is less distracting from the text and makes it stand out more. :)