Where to get copyright free sports footage ?

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
So this has been tackled in some way or another, and I HAVE looked around a lot but I'd like to ask the question specifically with sports here as it may have its own rules.

Say I made a video about the difference between Sport A and Sport B, where would I get my 100% copyright free footage as I'm illustrating through actual clips of matches ? I know I can fiddle around and come up with sth but, all those big YouTube channels that constantly have an abundance of soccer, basketball, etc... footage in their vids.... do they just crop and keep the broadcast logo out of the frame, do they only play X amount of time (say, below 10 seconds at a time from one match is okay...) ?

I'd love a clear answer on that. If you'd like to ! ;)

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I think no one has answered buddy because the same questions are asked a lot. There are no companies or individuals out there that woke up today and said how can I spend hundreds of thousands of dollars creating royalty free footage of all of the top sports events to send to Mindfullnquirer. Just no! lol. Also don't aspire to copy others on youtube that are straight forward using others peoples intellectual property (or short clips of) under the flimsy reasoning of so called 'fair use'- which can always be challenged by the copyright owner. If you intend to make a channel made of zero footage captured/created by yourself your just going to be battling copyright strike.. or 3 of.. until your channel is banned. Also there is no set defined amount in seconds as you might have assumed above re fair use. Its too complex to get into in a thread. You should study copyright /intellectual property before you start anything else as you need to raise your knowledge a lot first as your potential wasting your time otherwise which I wouldn't want for you. Go check out the youtube creator academy.. which to be fair is really hard to find.. I always have to google it pressing several links to navigate a way to this resource.. search creatoracademy DOT youtube DOT com
sorry.. can't put links in here

Reactions: videoeditgr

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
what UhoohExtra said.

If it was too long or complicated, here is the short version.

"It is not your own material, don't use it!"

;)
Well I understand that but it's not entirely true for e.g. you can type anything in google image and select "labelled for free use" and those are legal to use as far as I understand. We can't provide absolutely everything ourselves, that would mean being a pro photograph, journalist, etc. all at the same time, and we all know YouTube doesn't nearly function that way. You're going to talk about some topic that requires images or footage that isn't "yours" at some point.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
we all know YouTube doesn't nearly function that way
OK, here is a simple example:
Your names initials are Y.L. right?
What do you mean that I cannot use your full name here as long as you choose to be the MindfulInquirer?
I just googled it and it is free info.
"We all know Googling search doesn't nearly function that way" :p

I mean that there are some limits that we do not pass.
even if we are given the chance to do so without consequences.

It is your channel, you decide of course. Good luck :)

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
OK, here is a simple example:
Your names initials are Y.L. right?
What do you mean that I cannot use your full name here as long as you choose to be the MindfulInquirer?
I just googled it and it is free info.
"We all know Googling search doesn't nearly function that way" :p

I mean that there are some limits that we do not pass.
even if we are given the chance to do so without consequences.

It is your channel, you decide of course. Good luck :)
This is straying so far outside the topic of the thread right now it's, let's say, irrelevant tbh.

All sports YT channels use at least parts of basketball/football etc..footage. I don't think they get copyrighted for it and know for a fact there are ways to get around them with a few edits. I'm asking whether there's an open and official rule about that, with regards to sports. It seems not apparently.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
All sports YT channels use at least parts of basketball/football etc..footage
if you cannot understand that either they shoot it either they buy it and therefore they overlay their logo that you think that you can just edit out, then, I cannot do anything for you. Sorry.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well I understand that but it's not entirely true for e.g. you can type anything in google image and select "labelled for free use" and those are legal to use as far as I understand. We can't provide absolutely everything ourselves, that would mean being a pro photograph, journalist, etc. all at the same time, and we all know YouTube doesn't nearly function that way. You're going to talk about some topic that requires images or footage that isn't "yours" at some point.
But you can't take something that someone hasn't purposely provided for free without paying them for it. You are simply not going to find that for a lot of things. You have to assume that unless you have legal written permission to use a particular track, you do not have permission to use it. If you want to use video or audio on YouTube, either you have to have permission, you have to use it under legal fair use, or you have to pay for the rights to do so. There really is no other way. It's what YouTube is cracking down on now.

Reactions: videoeditgr

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
But you can't take something that someone hasn't purposely provided for free without paying them for it. You are simply not going to find that for a lot of things. You have to assume that unless you have legal written permission to use a particular track, you do not have permission to use it. If you want to use video or audio on YouTube, either you have to have permission, you have to use it under legal fair use, or you have to pay for the rights to do so. There really is no other way. It's what YouTube is cracking down on now.
Well yeah. It used to be a lot more lenient, I mean whatever happened to the notion of 'fair use', right. Throwing in just a bit of footage, like a few seconds, from a movie or sports game or wtvr I think should be aloud. If you're supplying a real added value and just using the stuff as part of the illustration for your video, and not just copy pasting sth that isn't your work and benefiting from it.

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well yeah. It used to be a lot more lenient, I mean whatever happened to the notion of 'fair use', right. Throwing in just a bit of footage, like a few seconds, from a movie or sports game or wtvr I think should be aloud. If you're supplying a real added value and just using the stuff as part of the illustration for your video, and not just copy pasting sth that isn't your work and benefiting from it.
Fair use still exists, but it isn't "use it for any purpose", there are and always have been specific requirements for fair use. Unfortunately, lots of people have abused the system, requiring that there be a crackdown on copyright. Most people have pretended that just because they want to do something, they get to. That's not how it works. Stealing copyrighted material is not fair use. Wanting to use something whether you have any legal right to do it or not is not fair use. Maybe you ought to blame all the morons who have screwed it up for everyone. But what most people don't recognize is that the only place you can determine fair use is in a court of law. YouTube can't do it. You have to be willing to sue, or be sued, and defend yourself in court. If you're not willing to do that, then fair use isn't for you. Welcome to the real world.