Famebit
  1. Join the largest paid sponsorship network. No contracts, no gimmicks, get paid quick. New sponsorships are added daily. Join at famebit.com

Dismiss Notice

Where do content creators get their video footage from?

Discussion in 'Copyright, Claims, Strikes & Legal Discussion' started by DRMN, Oct 2, 2017.

1. DRMN
    Cash:
    $2
    Hey everyone new here and I just started my own youtube channel. I want to focus my channel on explainer videos and on nature. I noticed a lot of video creators use footage that is not theirs: such as the people who explain black holes, tsunamis or nature phenomena in general. They use footage that is not theirs(either computer generated or something someone else shot on camera)

I noticed short footage clips can cost $50 for 20 seconds on those stock video websites which makes me wonder if everyone pay these insane prices or is there something I am not getting? Can someone just go and download footage from the net and use it in their videos and claim it is fair use?

I will be really happy if someone could clear this up to me and explain where I can get content for my explainer videos without infringing copyright.

Hope to grow my channel and contribute back to this community thank you :)

2. satiricals
    I've Got It
    Cash:
    $96
    Fair use can be complicated. There are factors that go into it.

Copyright gov/fair-use/more-info.html
    Lists the factors.

If you don't want to go around asking for permission then you need to be considerate of these factors to prepare some sort of defense.

"Purpose and character of the use, including whether the use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes"

If you plan to make money then half this factor is going to be against you off the back. If you find a transformative use to using their copyrighted work then the court will more likely be in favor of fair use. "Transformative uses are those that add something new, with a further purpose or different character, and do not substitute for the original use of the work."

"Nature of the copyrighted work"
    If the copyrighted work is of a creative nature then it is less likely to support fair use. If the copyrighted work is factual then it's more likely to support fair use.

"Amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole"
    If possible, never try to use the whole duration of the copyrighted material. If you only use a little bit of copyrighted footage out of proportion of the length of the original work then the owner of the copyright may be less confident to take it to court due to this factor.

"Effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work"
    If the copyrighted work is meant to be b roll then you use it in your work as b roll then this factor could be against you. Because the copyrighted material and what you needed were in the same potential market as the copyrighted work.

If someone created a Family vlog and you found the father took some cool nature shots and you cut out his dialogue and used for b roll then this factor would favor you. As well as the amount and substanitality factor if you only used those few nature shots out of let's say 10 minute vlog he made.

------------------
    Fair use wouldn't black and white protect you. You have to be thinking proactively on coming up with a defense and show it with actions as you make your videos.

If you go around trying to use stock video files without permission then most likely you will lose those claims in court. If you find ways to repurpose tiny segments of someone else's work for your own piece then you have a good chance of winning any claims against you.

3. Crown
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Administrator
    Cash:
    $6,869
    Moved to the copyright / legal forum. :)

4. UKHypnotist
    I Love YTtalk
    Cash:
    $121
    @DRMN There are Public Domain footage outlets out there. Look up Pixabay. Not all Stock footage outlets charge $50 or more for stock clips. Try Pond 5. There are also RF clips out there for free on some sites, but you need to check the licensing terms carefully if you plan to monetize.

If you're actually willing to invest in your channel, take a subscriber membership in Storyblocks which used to be Videoblocks; and download all the RF photos, stock footage and stock audio you wish to at no further charge after your yearly membership is paid

5. Malousak
    YTtalk Mad
    My network has free News footage that I can use. I don't use them though, as they're not part of my niche and interest... But I have to say: look for places that offers royalty free footages and maybe you can use them.