Where did YOU learn to edit?

crosbyo

Reaction score
I've seen a few people who have fantastic editing styles that are inspiring.

Mr Sark for gameplay, used to be unprecedented. I haven't watched his videos in a while, but they were always quality.

Casey Neistat is obviously an inspiration for many on Youtube.

But where did you learn to edit? Youtube videos? This forum? How long did it take to really get your groove with an editing style you were happy with?

Neimers

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I learned to edit simply just by watching videos. I'm not a film student or anything like that, but I am very inspired by cinematography and Youtubers like Ingrid Nilsen, Grace Helbig and Community Channel are my biggest inspirations in terms of editing. They do it very cleanly, effective and it really makes the entire video. I'm still learning much more and slowly getting better at it! My editing is also pretty simple so I don't have to focus a lot on it. It's also good that I'm advanced with photoshop as well so I can navigate and figure things out pretty easily.

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I've seen a few people who have fantastic editing styles that are inspiring.

Mr Sark for gameplay, used to be unprecedented. I haven't watched his videos in a while, but they were always quality.

Casey Neistat is obviously an inspiration for many on Youtube.

But where did you learn to edit? Youtube videos? This forum? How long did it take to really get your groove with an editing style you were happy with?
I taught myself by experimenting with my software and watching YouTube videos. I have one channel that does all kinds of Cyberlink Powerdirector tuturials, it was my go-to when I first got the software.

Johnny_Seagull

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director, Comedian
Self taught since I was a kid. Learnt some important points at film school, but most of the ground work was just me playing around on Windows Movie Maker and then Sony Vegas for years.

aarondafish

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I just kinda watched other people's video and if i had any questions on how to do anything, i'd look it up :p

Goatacular

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I stumbled upon Lightworks one day while on the internet, and being as it's free to use (with restrictions) I picked it up and started going through the video tutorials. Over time whenever I wanted to do something specific, I would head to their forums and look for threads where people were trying similar things, and then take that information for my own videos.

It's been about a year and a half since then and I can do pretty much anything I can think of that I want in my videos. I have the full version nowadays though, I jumped on a 50% off deal last December!

Delightfully Dumb

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I just played around with Sony Vegas to begin with. I attended a course that taught a few basics on video editing, but for the most part, I learned through trial and error. I still have so much to learn!!!

ChrisLegend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Watched a few YouTube tutorials then learn with a bit of practice! I get inspiration from Casey Neistat too haha, his cuts are really good. I also get inspiration from some of the self-development channels I watch like SimplePickup's motivational videos.

Kolby

Reaction score
Microsoft Movie Maker, alone.

Then moved to Sony Vegas which confused me with their tutorials, had to resort to youtube for most of the How Tos and I still do sometimes

BlackBifocals

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
When I was younger I made "music videos" putting clips from movies to music, usually in Sony Vegas. I learned watching tutorials from experienced editors who did the same thing. Editing for vlogs called for far fewer effects. I did take up an editing style from Hank Green though.