Where did you learn to edit?

ellelletalk

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Ranter
Have you taken any video editing courses? Watched any useful videos on YouTube?

How did you learn to edit video?

For me, the only editing I do is basically jump cuts, and the occasional text overlay. Self-taught woohoo ;)

Jack1505

PandaMan
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I'm self taught to.
I fell like it's good not having to be pushed to make bad content like the courses do. It's alot more freedom.
Of course i'm a very basic editor since i can;t edit like a film editor would.
Basicly i bought Sony Movie and mucked around till it looked semi decent!

JohnKenShow

The YTTalk Godfather
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Guru, Reporter, Vlogger, Ranter, Comedian
Well I learned to Edit in college and then really learned when I started doing it for a job back in 96. My first job was editing film and videos before non linear editing was out.. When my company got an AVID.. since I was the youngest they thought I would be the one to grasp it the easiest so they sent me off to AVID school and got me certified. Since then I have used every imaginable editing software out there. When I am not making sill YouTube videos I edit documentaries.

JackFredericks

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer
I'm pretty fluent in the Adobe programs and I'm about 90% self taught and the other 10% was random YouTube videos I watched!

Reactions: JTMulcahy

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
YES, this is GREAT Thread! Now I'm gonna speak out whatever is in my chest :p
In 2007, I tried to use windows movie maker 2.1 version! I just imported the clips and tried to use Splits, and the result was an awesome video, I jumped off the BED that day!
in 2009 I actually started making promos of the popular shows :) Many people appreciated my work :)
In 2013 I made some horror videos, worked so awesome :)
And I took my editing skills to next level by 2014 by trying VFX and green screen effects :)

Cognitive Overdose

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Started editing since ages ago with simple editing skills (everything self taught), then within these past three years I've been using a lot of adobe after effects (love it) since I mainly do vfx videos. For AE, it's mostly a mix of watching tutorials and experimenting with the program itself. d=)

Ciarra deBritto

Bringing your imagination to life.
Reaction score
Hi friend :D I learned how to edit when I took a TV production course all four years during highschool. I learned both video edits and special effects. :) After highschool, I just kinda taught myself more stuff from there!

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Self taught. Still learning too.

Started with WMM and wound up being gifted a copy of vegas 12. Still a lot to learn, but whenever I want to try something new I praise the internet for its vast wealth of knowledge.

Reactions: echoraven

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Have you taken any video editing courses? Watched any useful videos on YouTube?

How did you learn to edit video?

For me, the only editing I do is basically jump cuts, and the occasional text overlay. Self-taught woohoo ;)
I taught myself by watching youtube videos and experimenting. This is also how I learned to do my merch designs...

Zerodecoole

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
caesar.wtf
Channel Type
Other
Mostly self taught, I watched a few tutorials and learnt the basics of video making from a workshop back in 2005, that happened almost 10 years ago lol wow