When you are starting out is quantity more important?

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am wondering since I am a small channel is it better to just put out as many videos as I can? I know that better quality can be good, but if I am putting out lots of non edited stuff will the algorithm pick up that I am uploading a lot?

Will that help out more than making a "more polished" video?

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
For starting out I'd at least recommend 1 video a week. It keeps you consistent, steady and is a good slow pace for when time isn't always your best friend. This way you can maintain your quality without losing any of it because of wanting to create and upload more.

I can't speak for the algorithm since I'm still learning it myself. But I do know that "trending topics" tend to get picked up by it more and same with good SEO.

Quality over Quantity is always more important. I personally would rather have 1 really good video that people keep coming back to watch then 100 terrible ones that I'm not proud of and for people to remind me of if they even watch it. At least this way I can say proudly that I have done "my best" every time.

But definitely shoot for collaborations and free promotion too. Those are as equally important as the quality of your video.

With that being said I wish you the best of luck too. Never give up. =]

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
No thats a disaster. also no1 really knows what the algorithm is. Although youtube do guide you in the tutor thingy i forget the name of.
I've loads of people make like 50+ videos and get 1 view or none on each of them. I only have 20 uploads since Oct and have 150,000 views.
I would say only upload something when you happy that it of value to someone. The biggest thing to get right is the content. Which doesnt necesarily mean perfect light and sound (actually you do need good sound), but good conent meaning adding value .. which could be its useful/infomarative/ or enertaining. Otherwsie it won't get engangement and will also get sh*tty watch time retention which will ruin its chances of being suggested on the platform. Make a few good quality video and research if their is search volume for that topic first or your wating your time if you dont have lots of subs else no1 will see it. Then design a video upload around good SEO. Learn SEO as best you can. So many people complain no1 see their videos when they didnt bother telling youtube how to find them or what they are about.
sorry spellin.. need my bed

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
i would say quality over quantity. but the simple fact is that the more video's you make the more you learn and the easier to do.

I try to mix up easy topics and harder ones. a topic that only has 10-15 mins of footage to edit vrs one that has hours of footage. so I can be working on the harder to edit ones while still having a new upload and not feeling like I have to get that other video done that week.

but what you make now your probably look back on in 6months and go eh yeah I could have done a lot better in half the time.

at the same time if you put the time into a video and think eh I don't like it go ahead and upload it anyway. I almost didn't upload my most popular video because I thought it sucked. but over 20k views later and lots of subscribers im glad I uploaded it.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
Focus on quality first, and then try to figure out how you can produce it regularly.

In my opinion the word "quality" can be little misleading though. Some videos are beautifully produced with expensive cameras and audio equipment, but nobody watches them. The production value is high...but the entertainment value is very low.

You need to find high quality subject matter, topics that your viewers will find interesting and engaging. I'm sure you have seen many comments that a youtube video can be filmed with your cellphone - this is absolutely correct...IF the video is interesting to watch.

SO: First focus on your ability to engage and entertain the viewer...THEN work on your production value....THEN LAST OF ALL try to figure out how you can keep producing these kind of videos as often as possible.

Just my opinion of course, but I hope it helps.

Reactions: UhoohExtra

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For starting out I'd at least recommend 1 video a week. It keeps you consistent, steady and is a good slow pace for when time isn't always your best friend. This way you can maintain your quality without losing any of it because of wanting to create and upload more.

I can't speak for the algorithm since I'm still learning it myself. But I do know that "trending topics" tend to get picked up by it more and same with good SEO.

Quality over Quantity is always more important. I personally would rather have 1 really good video that people keep coming back to watch then 100 terrible ones that I'm not proud of and for people to remind me of if they even watch it. At least this way I can say proudly that I have done "my best" every time.

But definitely shoot for collaborations and free promotion too. Those are as equally important as the quality of your video.

With that being said I wish you the best of luck too. Never give up. =]
Thanks for the advice. I definitely am looking to collaborate soon. I know drifting is pretty popular right now at least in the automotive world so I think that helps me

No thats a disaster. also no1 really knows what the algorithm is. Although youtube do guide you in the tutor thingy i forget the name of.
I've loads of people make like 50+ videos and get 1 view or none on each of them. I only have 20 uploads since Oct and have 150,000 views.
I would say only upload something when you happy that it of value to someone. The biggest thing to get right is the content. Which doesnt necesarily mean perfect light and sound (actually you do need good sound), but good conent meaning adding value .. which could be its useful/infomarative/ or enertaining. Otherwsie it won't get engangement and will also get sh*tty watch time retention which will ruin its chances of being suggested on the platform. Make a few good quality video and research if their is search volume for that topic first or your wating your time if you dont have lots of subs else no1 will see it. Then design a video upload around good SEO. Learn SEO as best you can. So many people complain no1 see their videos when they didnt bother telling youtube how to find them or what they are about.
sorry spellin.. need my bed
Thanks! I definitely am getting more than 1 view on all my videos. I think that my content is value add so far, and I am only shooting content that I know I would like to watch/what I like the film.

i would say quality over quantity. but the simple fact is that the more video's you make the more you learn and the easier to do.

I try to mix up easy topics and harder ones. a topic that only has 10-15 mins of footage to edit vrs one that has hours of footage. so I can be working on the harder to edit ones while still having a new upload and not feeling like I have to get that other video done that week.

but what you make now your probably look back on in 6months and go eh yeah I could have done a lot better in half the time.

at the same time if you put the time into a video and think eh I don't like it go ahead and upload it anyway. I almost didn't upload my most popular video because I thought it sucked. but over 20k views later and lots of subscribers im glad I uploaded it.
That makes sense, thanks for the tip. Have you seen any unique trends among car people that watch your videos?

Focus on quality first, and then try to figure out how you can produce it regularly.

In my opinion the word "quality" can be little misleading though. Some videos are beautifully produced with expensive cameras and audio equipment, but nobody watches them. The production value is high...but the entertainment value is very low.

You need to find high quality subject matter, topics that your viewers will find interesting and engaging. I'm sure you have seen many comments that a youtube video can be filmed with your cellphone - this is absolutely correct...IF the video is interesting to watch.

SO: First focus on your ability to engage and entertain the viewer...THEN work on your production value....THEN LAST OF ALL try to figure out how you can keep producing these kind of videos as often as possible.

Just my opinion of course, but I hope it helps.
Thanks! I am filming everything on my cellphone right now! My biggest challenge right now is balancing my time.

Reactions: UhoohExtra

Dayn Brian

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Being a small youtuber myself, I am having problems such as yourself. But what I've heard from people studying the algorithm, it now pushes video every 2 weeks. If that is true, my bet is for quantity and people tend to watch a video for a longer period of time if the quality is up to par.

Hope that helps :D

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Being a small youtuber myself, I am having problems such as yourself. But what I've heard from people studying the algorithm, it now pushes video every 2 weeks. If that is true, my bet is for quantity and people tend to watch a video for a longer period of time if the quality is up to par.

Hope that helps :D
Thanks!

Reactions: Dayn Brian

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
That makes sense, thanks for the tip. Have you seen any unique trends among car people that watch your videos?
I guess trends iv found. are if you can tell a bit of a story with your video. and try to interact a bit with the audience it viewer interaction. like my supertech vrs fram oil filter video. I wish I could re-create that viewer interaction on every video.

I haven't really figured out how to include some of those elements in all video's yet.

also iv found generally no one cares about the little small details on a project video. show the last turn or two of one bolt coming out and the part coming off, just enough that they get the idea of what's going on.[DOUBLEPOST=1535730449,1535730108][/DOUBLEPOST]I would say a upload schedule starting out is more of a personal goal I don't think it makes much difference in how YouTube will promote your video.

it takes getting a number of video's uploaded before you start seeing much growth though. each video is a possible way to bring a new person into the channel and generally people want to watch and enjoy multiple video's you have made before they subscribe. so the sooner you can start building kind of a catalog of video's the sooner your start seeing growth but the better quality of content you can make the more people it will ultimately reach.

I guess another trend iv noticed is even if the algorithm does not pick up a video right away does not mean it it won't. I have to remind myself of that all the time when I upload a new video. And it doesn't get the views I was hoping for almost all my videos have a dormant period between initial new upload views and suggested/seach result views

Last edited:

the_drifting_dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the advice. I habe jumped from 12 to 30 subscribers pretty quickly, and my latest video has almost 70 views in 3 days. I have also noticed that a bideo can regain momentum.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk