When to Start Monetizing Videos

Frisky Brisket

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey Guys!

I wanted to ask you cool dudes and dudettes a question. When do you think is a good time to start monetizing YouTube videos and live streams? I mean, should this be based on when your channel reaches a certain subscriber count, or when you reach a certain level of views on your videos?

The reason I'm asking is when I first started out on YouTube I monetized every freakin' thing I would upload whether it was an edited video or even a live stream. The money I made off of doing this was small. Like just a few dollars after many videos. It made me feel the Sadness. :(. So, I turned off monetization and just started uploading videos and doing live streams without trying to make any money until I increase my subscriber, and mainly, my view count. That way when I do begin monetizing again I can feel the happiness. Yeay me! :).

Next week Imma start working in earnest on my channel. I got a trailer video I'm going to film with my new dudette friend here in my new home in the northeast that explains my channel and what my insane content is all about, because I feel that my current video, where I'm running at the camera and laughing, is scaring off potential subscribers and viewers. Mainly small children and house cats.

Then I'm going to find some fun new friends who wouldn't mind making VLOGS and gaming videos with me. I really want to grow my channel some before the end of the year so that I can fell good about having some success on YouTube. Would that not be a great Christmas present? Yes, yes it would Mr Brisket.

So, when did you guys start monetizing your videos? Right away? Later on? Never? Go away Mr. Brisket?

Do you feel that monetizing too early discourages viewers from watching videos uploaded by smaller channels, or does it even really matter?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice that you can give.

Take care my dudes. :).

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
monetise straight away, just overdo it (ad at the start then during then at the end etc) people are so used to ad's its not going to put anyone off, those that are annoyed by ads already use Adblock

Frisky Brisket

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sweet!

Thanks for the advise, and you're totally right. I'm used to seeing ads on every video I watch that I don't really think about it either. It's good to know that my original strategy of monetization was not a complete fail. :).

Masters of Kung Food

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Some Youtube gurus suggest turning on ads as soon as possible because Youtube (allegedly) promotes your videos more if it has ads. If it wasn't for that I'd probably turn the ads off in my videos because 1) it's annoying, 2) I'm not really making enough yet that it's worth it.

Reactions: Frisky Brisket

Gamayun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
You need to do it as soon as you can. I think you need to pass 10k in views to do it , but you can sent application before you get 10k in views

Conight

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If somebody is turned off by somebody making a few coins off their hobby, maybe you dont want those people ^^

chubbybots

I've Got It
Reaction score
Monetise straight away. With the content we are putting out i think its fair we get some remuneration for the time we spend on it ^^ Even a bit of money is better than none

Frisky Brisket

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Wow!

Thank you Loki Doki, Master of Kung Food, babyteeth4, Gamayun, and chubbybots! You're all sharp dudes and have provided my me with a lot of great information. Not one of you has suggested waiting to monetize videos which tells me that I should have joined this forum earlier before I made the decision to begin uploading my videos without monetizing them.

Masters of Kung Food - I didn't even think about YouTube promoting videos less if you don't monetize them, but it makes sense. Google wants to make money and how they do that is when you place adds on videos. If you don't use ads then they don't make money either, so why wouldn't they want to promote your video if it could make them money? :).

babyteeth4: Totally agree with you my friend. It's better to get them used to seeing ads now rather than later. :).

Conight - Could not agree with you more brother. That's my feeling about life too. I like people in general and always want to meet new ones, but if they don't want to be part of my life or don't like me then there's several billion other people I have to look forward to meeting. I like your advice. :).

chubbybots - Completely agree with you. I wish I had talked to you before I stopped deciding to monetize. There's several videos that I put work into editing. Now I wonder how they would do if I monetize them. Sadness. Oh well, I can learn and start using these ideas in the future.

Thanks again everyone for all of the great information.

Later my dudes! :).