When Starting Youtube...

SkoDamnScary

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Everyone will tell you all the best practices and tips to gaining an audience. and most of them could very well be right. but if your starting youtube with the idea your gunna be big. you may wana consider bailing on that idea.

if your new to video making or vlogging then you will have no experience and very little confidence/understanding of the process.. and on top of that you wont have discovered your online identity or brand.

if you have been working offline on a brand and things like intros/outros then you very well may get off to a great start, but you still wont have the viewers.

So here is my best guide to starting youtube (considering iv used over 15 channels since 2006, im confident i know what im on about :p)

Disclaimer: if you feel im a moron or wrong about these points. then feel free to ignore me ^__^

So, you have got yourself an account, a web cam and windows movie maker, whats first.
first. you gotta make crap content. seriously, you wont learn how to make good content til you have made bad content.
start of simple, lots of vlogs to gain your confidence, get creative, try some stop motion, some creative shots and maybe even script some kinda scene.
( you dont even need to upload everything you make, but you do need the practice)
Learn movie maker, it teaches the very basics of editing, also play with whatever camera settings you may have. once you have learned them its time to try new things.

Use the youtube playbook (can be found online) in order to really learn what all you can do with your channel. there is a lot of interesting things and tips you can learn from it. things like branding and marketing as well as tracking your progress ect. useful stuff.

back to your content. once you have got used to your tools its time to decide what kinda channel you wana be, vlogger, gamer, sketches, music ect. or perhaps a combo of a few things. thats all good! work on creating a brand, a logo image or saying, that when people here it they know its you.

consistency is key, design a banner, logo and include it somewhere in your videos. make people remember you.
by now you should have saved up your pennies and be looking at new editing software and cameras, dont go blowing all your cash on fancy kit if you cant fully use it. work your way up and find the programs and kit that will help you grow.NOTE: there are some cheap softwares out there that are great for beginners.

TIP: look in pawn shops for cameras, you can often snatch a HD one with great settings for under 50 quid (plus all pawn shop cameras are tested and have a warranty)

keep working on your content. make content for you and you alone. if your not happy with something you have made then why would anyone else wana see it. if your proud of it, upload it

quality beats quantity - yes consistency on your channel is important because you want people to return and see you regularly but never upload something before its done, or rush a vlog just to meet a deadline. work hard on the good stuff, your subs can wait that extra time.

do not get all worked up by the numbers. if like me you have lots of subs but get barely any views, let it slide. its fine and dont worry about it. iv seen many a youtuber give up on their content because the subs dont match the views. stay true to your origins and make content for you.

do not make multiple channels at the start, no matter how much different content you wana make, put everything on the one channel. it may not sound ideal if you have two ideas but trust me, multiple channels gets you nowhere until you have an audience. people need to learn who you are and subscribe for you. once you gain your following you can think about splitting your content.

and the single, final and most important rule of all. Have fun.
youtube is a place where you can express yourself, meet likeminded people, create new friendships and challenge your creativity. if you find yourself avoiding it. or getting sad about it. take a step back, explore your routes. find the spark that made it fun to begin with.

I hope this helped. even if one person takes any 1 point from this and uses it, then my day is made ^__^

thanks for reading, your awesome! stay that way!

CoolMoo5

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Great advice I agree with all of it. I have been on YouTube since 2008 and have been taking video production class since 2010. I have also taken several classes in marketing. Here is my advice:

1. When you start out don't expect to be famous. Make consistent videos for three months, then decide if you want to join a network or promote your channel. I can't believe how many youtube channels are begging for subs and shutouts and want tons of subs when they only have one video. As you said you first content won't be good, so that is why is a good idea to just start making videos to figure out what you are doing. Watch the Ira Glas video "on being creative" search it on youtube or vimeo, I highly recommend it.

2. Pick a good channel name. Really put some thought into your channel name, it doesn't have to be your first and last name if you don't want to. Make a "pen name" if you have to with a fake name. Also, if you have twitter, instragram,etc use the same or similar name for those sites, it is really confusing to have a completely different name for each site.

3. Good audio and lighting trumps an hd camera any day. Look at Jenna Marbles for proof. Invest in a good microphone and some lights before you buy a good camera. Really audio and lighting are important I can't stress this enough.

That's all I got hopefully it helped. And everyone go look up Ira Glass's video on being creative it inspired me so much as a creator.

SkoDamnScary

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Ah yes your advice is spot on too!

Lighting and sound totally slipped my mind (shameful as im also a film student graduate :p)

Ill add on though for those who have no cash! CoolMoo5 is absolutely correct, sound and lighting will turn your boring scene into an amazingly high quality shot!
heres some tips for those who cant afford that kinda kit.

Sound: most modern phones (iphones ect) have great built in mics, by turning on the phones voice record app, and putting your phone in your shirt pocket with the mic facing up, you can capture great sound with minimum background noise that you can then add too your edit.

Lighting: Go to your local DIY shop and look for clamp lights, usually only a few quid you can clamp these on to anything and aim the light at you, if you can only afford one, you want to put it behind you, the light will create a sort of glow on your back and shoulders that will make you stand out from the background (tip: you may want to keep this light behind you but out of shot, cameras with auto settings will adjust and darken your picture due to the brightness of the light.)

Hope it helped :)

BillyVlogsTV

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for the very helfpful tips! :)

I have been doing Youtube about 5 months now at 1st my videos was not that good plus i thought they was good at the time but after i upgraded to a better camera now my recent videos are way better and improved by alot, so i exspect i be getting subscribers now after i start promoting my channel, making friends and doing collabs with other Youtubers and being consistent uploading videos every week!

I am having fun doing Youtube videos and really like doing it, i be getting a better camera(FULL HD and better video quality) to film my videos this week and keep improving my videos!

And my aim is to get 500 subscribers by 2015! :)

I also agree it is stupid when people asking for subs and thinking they are going to get big/famous on Youtube when they only have 1 video on there channel.

I would like to get big on Youtube but i am not exspecting to get VERY BIG(Like over 1M subscribers) on Youtube like Marcus Butler, Pointlessblog, and more.

My ultimate/dream subscribers goal is to get over 20- 50K subs overall!

Last edited:
Reactions: RandomMike