When should you start streaming?

GoldenLiz

Reaction score
Hello community! I hear that one way to grow your channel is to do live streams. But when you have just a handful of subscribers, this can be tricky. How will people know I'm live streaming then? When should one start doing that, when they reach a certain number of subs? Right away? Thanks!

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
if you schedule your stream your subscribers will get a notification in their sub feed when the stream is starting, really just stream whenever you want to.

GoldenLiz

Reaction score
if you schedule your stream your subscribers will get a notification in their sub feed when the stream is starting, really just stream whenever you want to.
Right, but in terms of strategy, would it be better to start doing that once you have, let's say, 100 subs at least? Or more? Less? Does it matter?

DigiBox

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
It doesn't matter when you start, if you stay consistent you will get people who sub for your streams and people who will sub for both streams and your regular content, if you think something will work never wait to see how many subs you 'should' have.

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
The earlier you start doing it the better. YouTube is more likely to promote you if you do livestreams these days. You might notice when you visit the YouTube home page that you get recommend livestreams every now and then (and you just can't figure out why it's recommending them) and it's not size dependant at this stage (as far as I can see), I've seen small & big & even some creators questioning why they're being promoted themselves. So if you can start now, then start now.

GreyStreetGirl

Blue Haired Chubby Kid
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think the most important part is pre-planning what you're going to do and say. In a way, I'd say that it's more important in a stream than in a regular video because you can't afford to have awkward down time. It's live, so it can't be edited and you'll lose viewers.

Man... the thought of streaming stresses me out! :cold:

Reactions: GoldenLiz

GoldenLiz

Reaction score
I think the most important part is pre-planning what you're going to do and say. In a way, I'd say that it's more important in a stream than in a regular video because you can't afford to have awkward down time. It's live, so it can't be edited and you'll lose viewers.

Man... the thought of streaming stresses me out! :cold:
That's true. Planning seems to be a priority. Also important is engaging the viewers who show up and still manage to say the content they are e or ring from you.

Reactions: GreyStreetGirl

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think the most important part is pre-planning what you're going to do and say. In a way, I'd say that it's more important in a stream than in a regular video because you can't afford to have awkward down time. It's live, so it can't be edited and you'll lose viewers.:cold:
this is key. for us, our live streams are more like "announcements/updates" (like a 1,000 sub thank you thing) or a Q&A session. I did a live stream where I played classic NES games also which was cool. Most of the live streams we do are like 30mins-1 hour and mostly just us testing the waters.

The long term goal is to have a scheduled, consistent weekly stream. I think a schedule and topics of conversation are the most important part. If you don't have many viewers for them (we usually get like 10-30 viewers at a time) don't stress because people can watch it back later plus a schedule only builds up your likelihood of returning viewers.

GreyStreetGirl

Blue Haired Chubby Kid
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
That's true. Planning seems to be a priority. Also important is engaging the viewers who show up and still manage to say the content they are e or ring from you.
Yes! It is super important to engage the ones who are there, even if it's only a few.... or just one. LOL. Showing you care will go a long way, especially when people go back and view the steam once it's over.[DOUBLEPOST=1499553627,1499553577][/DOUBLEPOST]
this is key. for us, our live streams are more like "announcements/updates" (like a 1,000 sub thank you thing) or a Q&A session. I did a live stream where I played classic NES games also which was cool. Most of the live streams we do are like 30mins-1 hour and mostly just us testing the waters.

The long term goal is to have a scheduled, consistent weekly stream. I think a schedule and topics of conversation are the most important part. If you don't have many viewers for them (we usually get like 10-30 viewers at a time) don't stress because people can watch it back later plus a schedule only builds up your likelihood of returning viewers.
Do you find that livesteaming is a little bit easier because there's two of you (rather than one)? That way, you can also interact with each other if there's a lull in engagement (if this has happened to you).

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yes! It is super important to engage the ones who are there, even if it's only a few.... or just one. LOL. Showing you care will go a long way, especially when people go back and view the steam once it's over.[DOUBLEPOST=1499553627,1499553577][/DOUBLEPOST]

Do you find that livesteaming is a little bit easier because there's two of you (rather than one)? That way, you can also interact with each other if there's a lull in engagement (if this has happened to you).
Yeah I guess it does help having someone else to talk to. I haven't really streamed solo except for like 45 minutes while I played NES games randomly on stream lol.

The interaction between my wife and I is what our whole channel revolves around / she's super funny and easy to bounce jokes and ideas off of. Plus we are kind of opposites so that helps a bit as well.