When did you start monetising?

Nedko Chulev

Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Plain and simple - what the title says.

I find it interesting to see how much each video is "earning" but I have heard it is more likely to hurt a new channel. So I was wondering when did you guys decide to pick it up?

Cheers

TopLion

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't think it can hurt a channel. It's just something that's added on top. Personally, I wanted to make a channel for gaming funny moment videos, and I just added monetisation when I started, just so I didn't have to care about it later on. It's set up now to just slowly build up. The most impact is the viewer having to watch ads, which is understandable that ads may annoy some people, but for the most part, it's just a minor inconvenience.

whats_good

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Be smart with what monetisation options you choose to use. Not many people are going to sit throw a 30 second advert to watch a video from a brand new YouTuber that they found just on the off chance it may be of interest to them.

Nedko Chulev

Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
I don't think it can hurt a channel. It's just something that's added on top. Personally, I wanted to make a channel for gaming funny moment videos, and I just added monetisation when I started, just so I didn't have to care about it later on. It's set up now to just slowly build up. The most impact is the viewer having to watch ads, which is understandable that ads may annoy some people, but for the most part, it's just a minor inconvenience.
Be smart with what monetisation options you choose to use. Not many people are going to sit throw a 30 second advert to watch a video from a brand new YouTuber that they found just on the off chance it may be of interest to them.
I feel like any kind of monetization early on really is kinda pointless, as monetization only has any real value if your videos have a lot of views. So it sounds to me like it would make any sense (and profit) only to turn it on when you have collected a bunch of subs and have consistent view count. Unless of course you are going to make the type of videos that make controversy and stuff which could potentially suddenly go viral but my channel rather aims for steady growth ... I think?

Cheers

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I've experimented turning mines on and off. I've made a couple of extra dollars but it's really not worth it in the early stages. I just keep telling myself, the longer I delay it, the happier I'll be with my growth in the long run. My plan is not to turn it on until 5k subscribers. But I like what Crown says, and go by daily view count. I think I will wait until my Youtube Search and Suggested videos average to 1000 views daily first.

Reactions: Nedko Chulev

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Monetization used to annoy people when ads were brand-new (and not available for all creators) on YouTube, but it's expected now, so don't worry about it.

I had a video go past 10,000 views back in 2008, and YouTube wrote to me to say it was now eligible for monetization (the rule used to be that you had to pass a certain number of views to get an ad on it). So I put ads up, and I gathered pennies on it until sometime mid last year, when the proceeds from that and other videos finally pushed earnings past the $100 threshold. It's really slow for smaller channels, but I don't monetize all my videos, so I don't really do it for money.

Redford1900

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I monetize about half my videos now. For about three months earlier this year I stopped monetization on all my new videos, but I did not see any change in views or subs. I did missed a good opportunity to earn money because my CPM quadrupled during that time period. I want to make sure I can get $100 for the animal shelter and it's going to take another year at the rate I'm going.

Sabrina

I'm going outside now.
Reaction score
I chose to only monetise those 3 videos that went over 500 views, so it doesn't look obnoxious, and only with overlay ads. Not to earn a few cents but because of that rumour that monetised videos rank better. *shrugs* :unsure2:

I definitely think that ads can hurt a small channel, at least the preroll ads. When I see a video with 20 views and an ad starts playing, I leave because it gives a bad impression. Like "Really? You earning 1 cent is more important than giving your viewers a nice experience?"

Brandon Nankivell

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
This. I only turned on my ads @ the 8,000 mark. In retrospect, there wouldn't have been any harm in doing so when I hit the 1,000 mark :p