When did you start monetising?

newage

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I heard that exact same thing, that it could hurt a channel's growth. Not 100% sure on that, but I've advertised since day 1.

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
when i started i thought to myself "no point monetizing , the money will be almost nothing and i will just annoy people" and thats how i did for the first month. but as i did more and more research around youtube and marketing and all that fun stuff and read some great articles that basically said as @xingcat said, no one really gets annoyed at ads anymore, its just expected on youtube, (as long as you don't use unskippable ads or midrolls) your more likely to annoy your subs if a year down the line when a bunch of ads suddenly appear.

if i was to start again i would just have ads on from the start

also, the people that do really get annoyed by ads will most likely have adblock anyway

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Something to consider as well, Youtube might push more traffic to monitized videos, don't forget that they also earn money on your video ads! For them with millions of videos online it does add up, as a company with investers and share holders pushing on revenue I wouldn't be surprised to see monitized videos being prioritized.

So my two cents, enable every video from day 1 even if it only generates cents for you.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Youtube is a business not a charity. A business seeks to maximize profit. They have greater incentive to drive traffic to monetized videos. It also shows the algorithm you want to make money. This aligns with their goals.

Reactions: Nedko Chulev

Nedko Chulev

Reaction score
Channel Type
Cartoonist
I am very thankful to all of you for the replies! I am surprised how deep the topic actually is and not a simple yes or no question.

when i started i thought to myself "no point monetizing , the money will be almost nothing and i will just annoy people" and thats how i did for the first month. but as i did more and more research around youtube and marketing and all that fun stuff and read some great articles that basically said as @xingcat said, no one really gets annoyed at ads anymore, its just expected on youtube, (as long as you don't use unskippable ads or midrolls) your more likely to annoy your subs if a year down the line when a bunch of ads suddenly appear.

if i was to start again i would just have ads on from the start

also, the people that do really get annoyed by ads will most likely have adblock anyway
Would you mind to point me to some articles on the topic or even just a source I could look around for some? Thanks

BettyisHere

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Reading through a lot of the tips and tricks a lot of people say don't start too soon, I think from now on Im not going to monetize now until I have a great amount of subs and views per video