When description discourages viewer from commenting.

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have noticed that more and more people tend to make long descriptions.
Some put affiliate links on every bit of gear they use. Literally everything. Including disclaimers.
edit: they even put all their contact info and social media in every video. etc.
Others put the whole text of the vlog script. Others hashtag words.
Gurus say that we have to take advantage of the 2000 (isn;t it?) word description
to get favored by the algorithm but how about humans watching?

Well, guess what?
If I want to read a bit of description and open a vast text even with irrelevant to the video info,
like milestones, goals, text graphics, links to other vdeos of the creator etc.
I kind of feel discouraged to scroll down and comment, I already forgot what I wanted to comment!
kind of when you talk to a rumbling person and in some point you are tired enough trying
to get into the conversation (as the joke says) and you do not want to ...interrupt him/her...

Just a thought.
:)

Last edited:

Doom Video Vault

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Gamer, Commentator
Affiliate links make me click away or seek past the endorsement section of the video if part of the video.

Reactions: videoeditgr

ASMR Amour

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It doesn't discourage me from commenting. If I want to comment I don't look at everything in detail between the video and the comment section, and I think that is the case for most people who leave a comment. Having a detailed description is important for the algorithm, which I have seen how important that is with my own channel. I like it when people link all their social media, and affiliate links. If I see something in the video I want then i can click the link and get it. And if I enjoy their content enough I want to be able to easily find their social media.

Reactions: videoeditgr

HiEnergy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I often use the video description for telling prospective viewers of a workflow screencast of mine what steps are being shown in the video so they know what to expect.
Unfortunately there's no way to show this (often rather lengthy) bulleted list to the viewer without them having to click the video first (and probably being disappointed of the video not showing what they want to see - wrong expectations perhaps).
So descriptions might become lengthy on my videos (part of the relevant information often being hidden by the "show more" link). I don't think this deters viewers from commenting, though.

F7GOS

Reaction score
Descriptions -other than the first line - are not really really for people, more to feed the algorithm [emoji23] its a hungry beast

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: ASMR Amour

HiEnergy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Descriptions -other than the first line - are not really really for people, more to feed the algorithm [emoji23] its a hungry beast
I want to tell people what to expect in my videos so they watch it if the content matches their expectation. I think I have no other way of doing this than the video description and to a certain extent the thumbnail.
So what should I do apart from telling people in the description like e.g.:

stupid example said:
This video is about how to fix a picture to a wall using a hammer and a nail. The following steps are shown:
  • picking up the hammer
  • picking up a nail
  • hammering the nail into the wall
  • fixing the picture to the nail
In this example people who want to attach the picture using a screw know in advance it's about nailing, not screwing, so they need not fully watch the video.
I just wish that description were visible before clicking the video.

Of course the algorithm may pick up the words picture, hammer, nail, wall, hammering and correlate those with the tags

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hmm, I just have a thing in the first line telling people that I take requests. Hen some tags at the end in the form of a few sentences. In the middle I just thank the person who requested that video.

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
The description never really discourages me from commenting. I don't typically even read the description. Just the first few lines, and if the first few lines are entertaining, I might skim through it. I think that's typically what most viewers do, anyway.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
It depends what kind of video I am watching. If it is a tutorial or a cooking video I'm grateful for plenty of extra info in the description. If I'm just watching for entertainment I usually don't even look at the description. Either way, I comment if I see something worth commenting on.