When are you a "YouTuber"?

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
To me it depends on in what context. Anyone who has made more than a few videos on youtube and plans to continue to do so is a "Youtuber" to me. But of course to, for example, answer the question "what do you do for a living?" Obviously, it's not right to say "I'm a Youtuber" until that is paying the bills.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
1. Being active. Has regular contents or activities (watching, commenting, likes, etc)
2. When you start to make a living on YT

Upkid77

Reaction score
I think in my opinion is when you go out and people notice you and tell there fam or friends look its blank the youtuber I wish that happen to me Haha maybe in 20 years

Minty

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I always get flustered when my friends call me a youtuber, I never introduce myself as such. Perhaps when youtube has become so large part of my life (it’s already creeping into everything I do, a lot of my friends are made on youtube now) that I have to acknowledge it, or when my presence is big enough in the youtube community, I will call myself a youtuber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digital Beast

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Since youtube is a hobby of mine, I’d call myself a YouTuber!

It’s if you post somewhat regularly, you really like uploading, interacting with your and other communities, and generally having fun as a creator!

Johnjackallen

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I refer to it as "I make YouTube videos as a hobby". However, If I ever get to a point where I'm making enough money to support myself then I'd refer to myself as a YouTuber.

Minty

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I refer to it as "I make YouTube videos as a hobby". However, If I ever get to a point where I'm making enough money to support myself then I'd refer to myself as a YouTuber.
That makes sense— Youtube is a hobby like piano is for me, and I always say that “I play piano” instead of “I am a pianist”. I would probably only say the latter if piano became a career for example. Similarly for Youtube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Johnjackallen

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think you need to have a bit of content first, I'm not sure someone say, with 1 video has really done it enough yet for it to be a hobby. I mostly don't introduce what I do as a YouTuber because a lot of older family friends have no idea what that is so I usually explain it as a video content creation business. Pretty recently I started calling myself a video influencer a few times, I actually even put it on my Tinder profile. It seems to be an exotic modern phrase that intrigues people at the very least to inquire further and not immediately dismiss it. I don't know if I'm large enough to be one or not but I pull more views and watchtime per month than some channels with 50k subs so I feel like I must influence viewers in some way.

I think when I'll really start to feel like "YouTuber" is my identity will be in a few months when I hit 10k subs. 10,000 sounds like a lot to people so it's easier to make it sound like a more serious thing and it's been a goal of mine for like 3 years. However I don't think anyone needs 10k subs to say they are a YouTuber it's just the point where I think I'll feel like it's who I am more than just a "part".