When are you a "YouTuber"?

Iain

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Let's abstract the concept....

If you start playing an instrument (guitar / piano / whatever), when are you a musician?

If you start climbing mountains with your mates, when are you a mountain climber?

If you learn to drive, when are you a driver?

That last one's easy to define - when you pass your test and get your license. Before that though, you're a learner driver....

I guess for me it's when you've put enough effort into something to gain a reasonable level of proficiency to understand what you need to do to carry out the skill/task/process, as well as what you need to do to improve... Along with actually doing that task with some continuity... Eg if you stop uploading videos for a year, are you still a YouTuber?

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
Let's abstract the concept....

If you start playing an instrument (guitar / piano / whatever), when are you a musician?

If you start climbing mountains with your mates, when are you a mountain climber?

If you learn to drive, when are you a driver?

That last one's easy to define - when you pass your test and get your license. Before that though, you're a learner driver....

I guess for me it's when you've put enough effort into something to gain a reasonable level of proficiency to understand what you need to do to carry out the skill/task/process, as well as what you need to do to improve... Along with actually doing that task with some continuity... Eg if you stop uploading videos for a year, are you still a YouTuber?
I actually stopped uploading for a year! I don’t consider myself a Youtuber. But I wouldn’t even say I was before though. :biggrin: I don’t know. There is definitely a point when you can or cannot call yourself an influencer because you actually need to be big. But you can make an argument that gamers don’t have to be professional to be called that. Maybe YouTube works the same way. You can have 100 subs- but make content every single day, just with bad luck. It doesn’t make you less of a YouTuber I think. You’re just not a “famous” YouTuber. Still I wouldn’t be comfortable calling myself that either way but I don’t see anything wrong with someone saying they are if they are really active.

Reactions: Iain

Iain

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I actually stopped uploading for a year! I don’t consider myself a Youtuber.
But depending on what you were doing before you stopped uploading, I would say that you used to be a YouTuber, and you had YouTubed.

I learned to play guitar when I was younger, I can still pick up a guitar and play a few things, but I'm extremely rusty and I am definitely not a guitar player -- but I used to be, and I have played guitar... If that makes sense?

However, I do understand why people find it difficult to call themselves YouTubers - I will be the same, and I don't know if I ever will call myself a YouTuber. I don't really care, though. I'm not seeing it as a career path for myself. For me, I want to share a journey and challenge I'm about to undertake.

Reactions: CristyTango

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
But depending on what you were doing before you stopped uploading, I would say that you used to be a YouTuber, and you had YouTubed.

I learned to play guitar when I was younger, I can still pick up a guitar and play a few things, but I'm extremely rusty and I am definitely not a guitar player -- but I used to be, and I have played guitar... If that makes sense?

However, I do understand why people find it difficult to call themselves YouTubers - I will be the same, and I don't know if I ever will call myself a YouTuber. I don't really care, though. I'm not seeing it as a career path for myself. For me, I want to share a journey and challenge I'm about to undertake.
May I ask what that is since you have no channel link? You can inbox me if you want so this thread doesn’t get off topic. Or not, no pressure :)

Iain

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
May I ask what that is since you have no channel link? You can inbox me if you want so this thread doesn’t get off topic. Or not, no pressure :)
It's on my profile. :) Once I start uploading, I'll link the channel...

But... I'm overweight, the wrong side of 35 and I'm going to do a 100km ultra marathon in 6 months time. I want to document that journey, share the training tips and considerations - everything from kit to nutrition, building up training, dealing with blisters, getting fit enough to do it (without becoming a gym freak), etc, etc -- all the way through to the finish line.

I hope that some will find it interesting, in the hope that others that decide to do ultra marathons in the future (maybe for the first time) will find it useful --- and in the hope of raising money for the Marie Curie hospice that cared for my Dad in his final days, and sharing the journey with those that do donate.

(Full disclosure: I've done ultras before, so I know what I need to do and what I need to share... I've always been a bit overweight though, never athletic - and that's one of the things I want to share... If I can do it, then I hope that it inspires others that think they can't.)

My videos will also include a lot of walking / hiking stuff, which is something I love and enjoy and so even if people aren't interested in the ultras side of it, I hope it also appeals to those that love hitting hills / mountains / trails in general.

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
It's on my profile. :) Once I start uploading, I'll link the channel...

But... I'm overweight, the wrong side of 35 and I'm going to do a 100km ultra marathon in 6 months time. I want to document that journey, share the training tips and considerations - everything from kit to nutrition, building up training, dealing with blisters, getting fit enough to do it (without becoming a gym freak), etc, etc -- all the way through to the finish line.

I hope that some will find it interesting, in the hope that others that decide to do ultra marathons in the future (maybe for the first time) will find it useful --- and in the hope of raising money for the Marie Curie hospice that cared for my Dad in his final days, and sharing the journey with those that do donate.

(Full disclosure: I've done ultras before, so I know what I need to do and what I need to share... I've always been a bit overweight though, never athletic - and that's one of the things I want to share... If I can do it, then I hope that it inspires others that think they can't.)

My videos will also include a lot of walking / hiking stuff, which is something I love and enjoy and so even if people aren't interested in the ultras side of it, I hope it also appeals to those that love hitting hills / mountains / trails in general.
Oh that's fantastic! You're gonna do awesome ^_^

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would say simply being a regular creator makes you a "YouTuber" no matter the channel size. However, if YouTube pays your bills, then you're a professional YouTuber I guess, that's the distinction.

ALEA freelicencemusic

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I would say simply being a regular creator makes you a "YouTuber" no matter the channel size. However, if YouTube pays your bills, then you're a professional YouTuber I guess, that's the distinction.
I wanted to reply but this is exactly what I wanted to say. The same way that anyone can learn a couple of simple songs, or even write one, but few are professional musicians

Reactions: Iain

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I would say if you upload content regularly and you've been doing it for more than a few months you can call yourself a youtuber...I think theres a difference between doing youtube for years as a hobby and just building a good interactive audience and using youtube as a profession and earning a living from it.

Reactions: CristyTango

Shandor

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm sure this will be different for everyone, but I'm super curious what your take is on when you decide to call yourself a YouTuber?

For me, I would need to feel that a substantial amount of my income is also from YouTube. Enough that I would consider it a second job in any other circumstance. I was just thinking if I were to introduce myself to someone as a "graphic designer and YouTuber", it sounds so strange and slightly pretentious to me haha.

When would you give yourself the title of YouTuber?
For me I'd call someone a youtuber after having the first play button (100,000 subs)

Reactions: The Natural