When are you a "YouTuber"?

vMinti

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You're using the platform to share your content - you're a youtuber already, in my opinion
Fresh one or an old-timer, fast growing one/slow growing one, consistent or not - still a youtuber

[And it's not that I'm stating that I have to do something with YT to every single person I meet everyday though. No, not at all. It's just about the term for me. Youtubers "youtube", so to say, and that's what I do]

MikeSchimm

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think once you have a few videos on your channel and you're taking it semi-seriously than you're a YouTuber.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I considered myself a YouTuber as soon as I created a channel and started uploading videos. Even with few subs/views.. I was doing it!

Reactions: Darren Taylor

Xaenca

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm one of the negative Nancies I guess in that I don't call myself a "Youtuber" but rather someone who does Youtube in their spare time. I dunno. I feel like you need to be somewhat known to claim that. It's kind of like that Christian Burns douche that claims he's an "Instagram Model" right? Not judging or discrediting anyone who feels they are obviously. You are what you feel you are. I just feel like I'm not "big" enough on YT to claim that.

Brandt Prescott

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I'd say you're a youtuber as soon as you start uploading and being consistent with it. Once you hit a certain level, then you become an "influencer."

CristyTango

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Comedian
Yeah I think THAT is the real difference @Brandt Prescott
because being a Youtuber can just mean you are YoutubeING- like uploading consistently maybe a SMIDGE more than a hobby though.

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I dont think i'll ever use youtuber.

If someone asks what i do in my spare time and i want to tell them about my channel,
i say "i run a channel its about .. "

Its not my profession and it feels kind of forced

Reactions: CristyTango
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I'd support several people who said the term Youtuber doesn't depend on income or channel size, as opposed to know how well you know the ins and outs and how long you've been at it. Of course it would be kinda showoffy if you tell someone you're a youtuber and have like 50 subs.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I think you are a YouTuber once you post public videos on YouTube. If you stop posting videos (but they still reside publicly on a channel), then I'd say you "used to be" a YouTuber, and aren't anymore -- but could always start back up again. ^_^ I think "YouTuber" is best used to define someone who actively posts videos on YouTube, regardless of income and channel size.