When Adblock takes over

Krow

I've Got It
Reaction score
Ok, this is not just a problem to YT videos, but websites in general. Adblock is probably a couple of years away from completely taking over the web. In a couple years, the vast majority of the internet users will probably use adblock.

So, what´s the solution? Subscription services won´t cut it. There are way too many people wanting to advertise and there are way too many websites that need to make money with those ads. To sustain the internet as it is, to be able to make a simple google search and find all sorts of information, you need this model. If people don´t make money with websites, a lot of them will stop producing content. And if they stop producing content, you won´t find all the usual information you might need.

The only solution i see for this is if companies like Google get serious about the problem and start developing a script that shows the ability to defeat adblock. So, even if you have adblock installed, you will still see Google ads. I don´t even know if such thing would be possible to create, but i would be very surprised if somebody eventually doesn´t find a way around it.

If companies like Google do nothing about it, well, things will get ugly. There´s no way you can sustain the internet as it is without ads.

And even if big websites like YT and FB successfully implement subscription models, i mean...they still need information. Youtube needs creators. FB needs information that comes from much smaller webistes. If those websites cease to exist, FB will be in deep trouble too.

Adblock is growing around 50% a year and it has already more than 150 M users. 2-3 years is all it takes to the vast majority of the people be using Adblock. Then what? Youtubers don´t make money, you don´t watch videos. Bloggers don´t make money, you don´t read blogs. At least, not as many, and not as good.

It really shocks me that the big players haven´t created yet a way around adblock. I mean, what are they waiting for? If you have billions and billions of dollars and the smartest people working for you, it can´t be that hard to create a solution to counter an add-on.

Reactions: steveocubed

Brinkbabe91

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah I'm not really sure what a good solution would be for this. I hope they can find something that works.

GreenFrank

Reaction score
They really should think of something. Corporate greed is getting out of control. Everyone is getting screwed in the educational system. I do believe the Internet can create jobs, but ads are killing the system. Automation should not be relied upon for curating stuff.

Harpuia

That "creepy" guy that makes Youtube videos.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Didn't Blip already have this problem a while back and they fixed it by placing what was originally a 90 second ad block that just said "Please disable your ad blocker" (later turned to 30)?

Also, I was told from others that some are finding their way to fund their videos through alternative means such as Patreon or GoFundMe.

Krow

I've Got It
Reaction score
Didn't Blip already have this problem a while back and they fixed it by placing what was originally a 90 second ad block that just said "Please disable your ad blocker" (later turned to 30)?

Also, I was told from others that some are finding their way to fund their videos through alternative means such as Patreon or GoFundMe.
Neither of those solutions is actually THE solution we need. We don´t have a good alternative to adsense, and begging people to turn adblock off doesn´t seem like it will work on the big scale.

freshjiivetv

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There are already websites that use methods to defeat adblocker. It's a game of cat and mouse, with companies creating new ways to show ads and people figuring ways to get around them. This has been the case for a long time, and will continue to be so I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: steveocubed

AlexGotBeats

Blessed & Cursed
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
If Adblock did that much harm it wouldn't even be here. All these platforms and monetized websites still generate alot of money that it doesn't even matter. If adblock was a problem it wouldn't even exist as a browser extension i'm quite sure Google would eliminate such extension or make a new system like hey u want adblock extension??... well pay $19.99 monthly subscription to have it then.

Krow

I've Got It
Reaction score
If Adblock did that much harm it wouldn't even be here. All these platforms and monetized websites still generate alot of money that it doesn't even matter. If adblock was a problem it wouldn't even exist as a browser extension i'm quite sure Google would eliminate such extension or make a new system like hey u want adblock extension??... well pay $19.99 monthly subscription to have it then.
The question isn´t even Adblock being that big of a problem. Right now, it isn´t. The question is that it might become a HUGE problem. The number of users grew up 50% in the last year and is said to grow another 50% this year. We are already at 150 M users. If it keeps growing at this rate, in 2-4 years it will become a huge problem. And we´re talking about 150 M users just in North-American and Europe, wich means that around 20% of the internet users have the add-on installed.

AlexGotBeats

Blessed & Cursed
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
The question isn´t even Adblock being that big of a problem. Right now, it isn´t. The question is that it might become a HUGE problem. The number of users grew up 50% in the last year and is said to grow another 50% this year. We are already at 150 M users. If it keeps growing at this rate, in 2-4 years it will become a huge problem. And we´re talking about 150 M users just in North-American and Europe, wich means that around 20% of the internet users have the add-on installed.
then my answer still stays the same if it does become a problem then it won't even exist as a browser extension i'm quite sure Google would eliminate such extension or make a new system like hey u want adblock extension??... well pay $19.99 monthly subscription to have it then.

Krow

I've Got It
Reaction score
then my answer still stays the same if it does become a problem then it won't even exist as a browser extension i'm quite sure Google would eliminate such extension or make a new system like hey u want adblock extension??... well pay $19.99 monthly subscription to have it then.
And they could lose a good portion of their users. They already did that. They banned adblock from their store, but apparently reversed the decision.