What's your audience retention %?

TylersMagic

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My average view retention over the past ninety days is fifty percent. I thought this was a little low but seeing others it doesn't seem too bad.
I've released a lot of shorter videos lately where the outro is about half the video, but the retention on those videos appear to be higher than fifty percent.

Reactions: Dave B

wasabiroots

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Last 90 days is 48% but last 28 days is lowered now coz the video that gets the most views for my channel has its retention suddenly dropped when for whatever reason the demographic its being shown to also changed.

Here's the graph for that one video:

upload_2017-3-8_8-37-13.png

Who do I blame here? My video or youtube? Hmm... I mean why did they change the demographic if its giving less retention and not change it back? T-T

Shendijiro

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Animator, Other
18% I am the next big star you know ;)

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I'm at 52% over the last 90 days, which translates to an average view time of 3:35.

I agree, it's useful to see what other channels are getting to gauge how well your own channel is performing.

Reactions: The NotARubicon!

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Mine's 32%.
If you are looking to see if they leave after a few seconds then you need to look at the "Relative Audience Retention".
Actually no. Relative Audience Retention is a per-video statistic (you can't view it for the channel as a whole) and it shows the retention rate of each part of the video as it compares to the retention rate of the average video that is the same length as yours.

Kyle Laughlin

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I wouldn't pay much attention to percentages over time. They're amazing for figuring out where specific videos went wrong and how to improve content but virtually meaningless in terms of overall channel success especially comparing yours to someone else's. Percentages over time are almost always flawed with nearly everything in life as they are too easily effected. That's the main reason companies always use percentages rather than whole numbers to give facts because they can always be analyzed different to appear better.

People will argue it but it's just how it is especially on YouTube. If you upload short content - under 10 mins, which is basically the standard now a days, then you should definitely have a crazy high retention percentage or else that means 50% of a 5 min video is a measly 2.5 mins and probably an indicator of some sub par content. Yet you can upload a single lengthy video, get half the views and a third of the retention and completely blow that shorter video out of the water in rankings. On the other hand people can absolutely love a longer video but if they unfortunately can't watch the full thing at once then you're percentage is going to plummet. Keep percentages to yourself for your own data, that's the only time it's useful as no one uploads the same exact content therefor comparing % is pointless.

If it helps you at all my 90 day is 67%. But I'm willing to bet your channel is growing way faster due to your channel type. My retention % and overall watch time is probably a lot higher despite overall views and subs but that's merely because I upload longer videos. Not because anyone's content is better or worse. Comparing channels is pointless in that sense.The percentages are pretty much just a ego kind of thing when comparing. Just keep doing what your doing because it is clearly working and people are liking it! Congrats on 1k subs btw!!

Reactions: Dave B