LOCKED - What would cause such a drastic Drop in Estimated Revenue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenyanese

Reaction score
Creator support can't explain it any further. Nobody can sadly, the invalid activity was most likely not caused by you, and could of been a competitor trying to get you in trouble, or a company trying to hide their invalid traffic by giving it to many non customers.
I certainly never caused it because I never bought views.
My channel is small with only 3500 subs so competition is hard to fathom.

What do you mean by company hiding invalid traffic by giving it to non customers?

ericshift1

Reaction score
I certainly never caused it because I never bought views.
My channel is small with only 3500 subs so competition is hard to fathom.

What do you mean by company hiding invalid traffic by giving it to non customers?
Google can detect invalid traffic easily, if a company dumps it onto a lot of channels (which are not buying the fake traffic), it makes it harder to detect and penalize.

Kenyanese

Reaction score
Google can detect invalid traffic easily, if a company dumps it onto a lot of channels (which are not buying the fake traffic), it makes it harder to detect and penalize.
I think I understand.
You mean companies that sell views disguise their activities by throwing around views so as to mask their real clients?

Tell me, is there any parameter on Analytics that would suggest artificial traffic?[DOUBLEPOST=1516362492,1516305327][/DOUBLEPOST]I sent an email to support through the Studio app and they got back and we had some back and forth before they told me that the matter had been escalated and I should wait. This was last Saturday and I got impatient yesterday (Thursday) and I pushed a second fresh email. They came back and after some exchanges they asked me an interesting question.

On 29th of Dec I received my third strike but a few days later on 3rd of January I successfully negotiated a retraction with one of the claimants. Turns out that my estimated earnings changed after the retraction. The support person wanted to find out if my channel was Monetization enabled after the third strike. It was and all was well except I couldn’t upload anything till the retraction.

You can for instance check out my Playbacks for the 30th and 31st of Dec while I was under the three strikes

Please note there seems to be no relationship whatsoever between any of the copyright strikes and the subject video, yet it seems too much of a coincidence that a retraction was followed or accompanied by the drastic revision in my Dec estimated earnings.

The body of the email;
Hello Xxxxx,

Thank you for the response. I appreciate the insights and information you have provided.

Like I've said in my previous email, please note that the values in the Ad rates report will not match up to the numbers in the Revenue Report The Ad rates report shows gross figures (the amount the advertisers paid to run the ads). The Revenue report shows net revenue (the amount you will be paid), which factors in revenue sharing and fractional ownership.

I just want to ask, when you had a strike in December before it got resolved early January, was your Monetization still enabled?

You incurred the 3rd strike by the end of December and the channel was supposed to be suspended but you were able to resolve the other strike.

This will help me better understand your issue and resolve it as soon as possible. Thank you.

Regards,
Albert

Google YouTube Team

Will keep you posted, wish me well

Last edited:

ENk

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's a bit hard to reply to this since I haven't seen the video in question (your channel link goes to a channel that doesn't exist), but if I understand this correctly your video contained material that was owned by someone else. If that is the case I think you have the answer right there; the revenue will likely go directly to the copyright owner.

Kenyanese

Reaction score
It's a bit hard to reply to this since I haven't seen the video in question (your channel link goes to a channel that doesn't exist), but if I understand this correctly your video contained material that was owned by someone else. If that is the case I think you have the answer right there; the revenue will likely go directly to the copyright owner.
Sorry for my channel link, I’ve updated it so it now leads to my channel.

For Creative Commons License(Attribution) content, it can be shared and monetized by any other channel.

Besides,a few facts strongly compel me to argue against this;
1. In Nov, the video income comprised of both Ad Revenues and Youtube Red Income. This is also the case in Jan though views have dropped

2. In Dec, the video YouTube Red income for the video was factored in which is quite implausible if monetization went to the original content owner

PS
The video had average watch duration of about 13 minutes of 307K/367K per December view.

Kenyanese

Reaction score
I received this email explaining my ‘lost’ income;

Hi Xxxxx,

Thanks for writing back.

The issue has been raised to and checked by out internal team. As far as they analysis goes, the watch time varies your revenue from November and December. In addition to this, we have some other factors to consider when calculating your revenue. These factors include advertiser bidding, advertising availability, and advertiser demand for your videos.

Please let me know if there's anything else.

All the best,
Max
Google YouTube Team

I should add that there was some drop in average View Duration from Nov to Dec to January.
For instance, in November, for the US audience,who contributed close to 80% of Watch time Average View Duration was 16min. In No ember this went down to 14min and in Jan it dropped further to 10min.

So average view duration drops by 12.5% with from Nov Dec but views & Minutes shot by over 300%.

I have concluded that Youtube erred in adjusting my income downwards on Jan 5th without any reason. It is risky admitting and correcting thus.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
@Kenyanese

As per our forum rules - I'm locking this since by your own admission, you have had 3 strikes on your channel for copyright infringement and so asking our members for help on earning for content that doesn't belong to you is is just a huge waste of our time.

This forum is for helping creators who create original content and who play by the rules. Don't make any more threads or posts here about asking for help on monetization issues or strikes. They will be deleted.

Reactions: chottom
Status
Not open for further replies.