What with the massive dislike in YouTube Rewind 2018?

Divine Authority

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I watch the video and it really cringe worthy but I didn't expect it would reach up to 8.9 million dislike. It almost surpassed the dislike in Justin Bieber Baby video. Is it because some big YouTuber like Pewdiepie and Shane Dawson or mainly because the video is a cringe fest that include crappy Fortnite and K-pop scene? The rest that appear in the video majority is unknown except for Will Smith and Ninja lol.

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I guess a lot of people thought the same way, and disliked the video, and now it´s becoming a meme, so now everybody is disliking it just because of the meme! Following the crowd in a sense.
I could guess people is also making a statement that youtube might be disconnected with what the trends are!

Reactions: videoeditgr

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Actually it will be the future monument of the statement that "the algorithm counts reactions, no likes or dislikes" hehehe! It is interesting that Paul Logan appeared again. Well, not interesting, rather dissapointing but who counts?

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
A lot of people were upset that they just handpicked some people and certain topics. It became Fortnite and political correctness, and not about creators... of which it was intended to be. I watched it the day it came out, and it was pretty cringeworthy.

Reactions: NickDodd

PhysicsFreak101

What a Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Most people hated the political correctness part, especially since the creators who talked about mental health and that stuff were paid to do so, and it didn't feel genuine. A lot of people also thought that the part when they said they would listen to us, they didn't have PewDiePie saying "Year Review", which was a big thing. They also didn't include the race against T-Series, which has been all over the last few months and replaced it with news show hosts doing Fortnite dances. They said they were listening to us, but it was much the opposite, and that's why I disliked the video anyways.

Reactions: Divine Authority

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Apparently Youtube Rewind also has a Wikipedia page, I quote from there:
Criticisms ranged from the inclusion of celebrities not predominantly part of YouTube (such as Will Smith, John Oliver, Ninja, and Trevor Noah) as well as the exclusion of certain acts that had a large impact on the platform, such as Shane Dawson, KSI vs. Logan Paul and PewDiePie
[...]
Other criticisms viewers voiced with the video included what they had seen as the video's overuse of some trends, including Fortnite and K-pop, as well as the lack of variety of other references.[34] It was also prominently criticized for its social commentary, which some felt was shoehorned into the video.[35] A point of specific criticism was that Everyone Controls Rewind was seen by some to promote the behavioral health services of BetterHelp, despite the controversy surrounding the company.[36] Others were angered that the video never brought up the deaths of Stephen Hawking, Avicii, XXXTentacion, TotalBiscuit, Stefán Karl Stefánsson, Mac Miller, Stan Lee and Stephen Hillenburg, despite each of their deaths having made a major impact on the YouTube community. Others hated how Lil Pump’s song was included but not the rapper himself.
And what I think is the most important part:
Julia Alexander of The Verge suggested that YouTube Rewind had intentionally left out the biggest moments on the platform in 2018 in an attempt to appease worried advertisers over controversies that had plagued the platform over the past 2 years: "it’s [...] increasingly apparent, however, that YouTube is trying to sell a culture that’s different from the one millions of people come to the platform for, and that’s getting harder for both creators and fans to swallow".
I agree with her in this case, and if the theory was right it shows even more how Youtube has become a stone giant with clay feet, only able to rely on corporate advertisers.

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I watched it only to see what the fuss was about. I have zero interest in watching it usually as it doesn't do anything for me as a small creator. It is always big names that get featured. Will Smith is a prime example. A celebrity that just walks onto YouTube, starts vlogging and earning money with zero effort. The real people are the masses that create quality content but do not see 100K plus subscriber success.

And then there is the fact that there was the social justice warrior aspect. Deep down everyone is the same, everyone... And that is a fact. It added to the aura of fake that surrounded the entire video.

The Will Smith meme is fire though.

Madiisuun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
What is Youtube rewind 2018?
its the video that youtube curates at the end of the year which is supposed to represent the year on the platform as a whole. people are really upset about it because many people don't even know who is in the video, and youtube seems really out of touch with the viewers. they didn't even mention the subscribe to pewdiepie thing which is HUGE. maybe they made it after that happened, but there's just a whole lot wrong with this year's rewind imo. it hasn't really been good since the first youtube rewind

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
upload_2018-12-15_23-30-56.png

:eek:

It makes me a bit sad since I know a lot of work went into it, but I'm sort of wondering if YouTube has become far too big for one rewind video per year? No matter who they include, they will have to always leave someone out... :/