What to expect when becoming "yt famous"

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I received a few more comments than usual this morning (which I'm very excited about!) and as I was responding, I got to thinking, what happens when you start receiving even MORE?

People who receive hundreds of comments a day and have to also respond to users on other social media. How do you keep it from becoming overwhelming?

I'm sure you have to deal with a lot more trolls as well, as your channel becomes more popular. I'm sure at one point it becomes harder and harder to come up with video ideas, and there comes a time to start thinking about things like improving video quality too.

I don't know if someday I'll become "youtube famous" but I'd like to hear your stories and tips for what happens when you do. What else is there to expect from this recognition?

Reactions: darkstarmedia

Farley Productions

Pursuing the Arts one step at a time.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Good question. I always think of these things when people become Youtube famous.

1. Youtube is now your full time job and money is likely always tight.
2. You build a staff to help you build your channel.
3. Perhaps a bigger, better location. Equipment upgrades.
4. When going out you'll be more likely noticed.
5. It's impossible to reply to everything. But do you spend a day responding to fans?

At least that's what I think of when people become Youtube famous and what to expect. =]

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I'm not YouTube famous, but I can guess what the main things are. Replying is getting hard for me, and you mentioned it, posting on Facebook, twitter, discord, tumblr, deviantART, G+, Patreon etc. You can see how its easy to get a bit swamped by them, and I only post a video a few times a year!
I can only imagine how popular youtubers that post a lot feel swamped by messages.

trolls and haters haven't found me yet, but one thing I've noticed on popular youtubers comments is those irritating bot accounts masquerading as them and tricking viewers to some dodgy link.

Reactions: Merlina Rodas

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I usually spend up to an hour a day filtering, approving, blocking, and responding to comments. There may be 100-200 on a busy day, 300+ if you have a fast moving video. Sometimes I can't keep up, and I get a backlog of a day or two. But I generally try to respond to legible comments and questions.

The nicest comments are from kids who ask questions, I get my kids to answer those, like how old they are, and video suggestions from kids.

About 5% are haters/trolls. I engaged with a few in the earlier days, found it a huge waste of time. Now I just block.[DOUBLEPOST=1493933163,1493932655][/DOUBLEPOST]
Good question. I always think of these things when people become Youtube famous.

At least that's what I think of when people become Youtube famous and what to expect. =]
1. Youtube is now your full time job and money is likely always tight.

--> spot on there, money is always tight, and unpredictable with all the bs - algo changes, adpocalypse, restricted, etc. Don't even mention the Tax Man, wait till he gets his grubby little fingers in there.

2. You build a staff to help you build your channel.

--> Hahaha, I wish... you made me laugh so hard in the morning the coffee came out my nose.

3. Perhaps a bigger, better location. Equipment upgrades.

--> yep, ebay works, but the cheapest crap from China sometimes breaks down - the portable lights I got a few weeks ago, the charger smells like burnt plastic and a knob has broken off.

4. When going out you'll be more likely noticed.

--> God please no... let me eat my greasy Big Mac in private - the kids keep a very low profile at school Yt wise, only a handful of their friends know, and it's not a big deal at all, which is how I want to keep it.

5. It's impossible to reply to everything. But do you spend a day responding to fans?

--> My kids favorite thing is responding to their fans! Some as so happy that "famous" and "big" youtubers like them reply. Hahaha, we're as low key and normal as you can get.

ThisisJericho

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree if one ever becomes yt famous, I believe there becomes a lot of maintenance with comments that has to be done. There's Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and all social media can be quite overwhelming. I see hiring the team will become very important.

Misha's Toys & More

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well, my kid got recognized at a grocery store last week by another kid. Took me off guard since I really didn't expect any "fame" at this point, we started just a few months ago. But we do get a hundred or even more comments on some videos, mostly positive, sometimes quite personal asking all kinds of things about my kids and so. It takes a while to go through all of them but I still try to answer or at least "heart" most of them. Can't imagine how it works when you get thousands of those.