WHAT PROGRAM DO YOU USE TO EDIT ?

ProfKranc

Voice actor and Film-maker here to help :-D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Adobe suite. Made the switch when Final Cut became Final Cut Pro X (essentially, a slightly better IMovie). Will never go back :D

TheFreshBiz

FreshTechTV
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use FCPX it is the full suite version of iMovie (sorta) I like it a lot and I can do pretty much anything I want. when it comes to screen writing I use after effects

IftiBashir

Undiscovered....
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Final Cut Pro X.

[DOUBLEPOST=1416835015,1416834886][/DOUBLEPOST]
Adobe suite. Made the switch when Final Cut became Final Cut Pro X (essentially, a slightly better IMovie). Will never go back :D
I would hardly call FCPX a 'slightly' better version of iMove when it has a huge array of advanced features and plugins over iMovie.
iMovie is more for a home user who wants to string clips together, with transitions. audio, and basic effects.
FCPX is more professional level - I know many professional editors who use only FCPX and producing some stunning projects.

Andrew Flint

Adobe Certified Associate & Post Student
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Final Cut Pro X.

I would hardly call FCPX a 'slightly' better version of iMove when it has a huge array of advanced features and plugins over iMovie.
iMovie is more for a home user who wants to string clips together, with transitions. audio, and basic effects.
FCPX is more professional level - I know many professional editors who use only FCPX and producing some stunning projects.
Can you recommend any good FCPX tutorials? I've got to use it for my first year at university and I cannot stand their stupid idea of a timeline :L

ProfKranc

Voice actor and Film-maker here to help :-D
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Final Cut Pro X.

I have used FCPX in the past for a few projects. Sorry, saying it is essentially a slightly better IMovie may be insulting to those who use it.

I did use Final Cut Pro in the past, but when it became Final Cut Pro X I began to edge away from the program. I encountered to many green screen glitches (after rendering the screen would turn completely green after rendering), the render times themselves where horrible to me and even when working with that and Motion, it still felt very slow and clunky on my Macbook Pro.
It does have plenty of good features including the drag and drop timeline where there will never be an unintentional space between cuts and plenty of other features included in the standard editor, but when I moved to the Adobe Suite, everything just got better.

The Adobe suite now offers more features making it easier to quickly pump out an edit in Premiere. I find the render times to be so much less that what they used to be and I don't have to wait 2 mins for the timeline to update the preview window.
The fact that now Premiere, After Effects, Audition and Photoshop seamlessly integrate with each other makes it so much easier for an editor like myself who is constantly trying to bring together some complicated edits with effects here and there. When using FCPX it made it become so slow it was near unworkable. But with Adobe, it doesn't slow it down as much.

I feel that the Adobe suite has a larger scale of what it can do due to its seamless integration with the other programs under its belt. Especially for those who may use After Effects within their edits on a regular basis.
This is all on my Macbook Pro, so I would expect better results from the programs on computers with better specs.

That's my opinion anyway. But you are right, it was wrong of me to compare FCPX to IMovie as it is a better program with more features. However I just found editing in it with my Macbook Pro very frustrating and long. That's why I made the change to Adobe.

Reactions: IftiBashir

Hayden Heun

Reaction score
if your looking for cheap and easy Sony movie studio is by far the best choice you can pick one up on eBay for less than 50 bucks XD i got mine for 40 bucks almost 2 years ago love it still

Andrew Flint

Adobe Certified Associate & Post Student
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I have used FCPX in the past for a few projects. Sorry, saying it is essentially a slightly better IMovie may be insulting to those who use it.

I did use Final Cut Pro in the past, but when it became Final Cut Pro X I began to edge away from the program. I encountered to many green screen glitches (after rendering the screen would turn completely green after rendering), the render times themselves where horrible to me and even when working with that and Motion, it still felt very slow and clunky on my Macbook Pro.
It does have plenty of good features including the drag and drop timeline where there will never be an unintentional space between cuts and plenty of other features included in the standard editor, but when I moved to the Adobe Suite, everything just got better.

The Adobe suite now offers more features making it easier to quickly pump out an edit in Premiere. I find the render times to be so much less that what they used to be and I don't have to wait 2 mins for the timeline to update the preview window.
The fact that now Premiere, After Effects, Audition and Photoshop seamlessly integrate with each other makes it so much easier for an editor like myself who is constantly trying to bring together some complicated edits with effects here and there. When using FCPX it made it become so slow it was near unworkable. But with Adobe, it doesn't slow it down as much.

I feel that the Adobe suite has a larger scale of what it can do due to its seamless integration with the other programs under its belt. Especially for those who may use After Effects within their edits on a regular basis.
This is all on my Macbook Pro, so I would expect better results from the programs on computers with better specs.

That's my opinion anyway. But you are right, it was wrong of me to compare FCPX to IMovie as it is a better program with more features. However I just found editing in it with my Macbook Pro very frustrating and long. That's why I made the change to Adobe.
I'm trying to use FCP X at the moment and my gosh I can't stand it! Compared to Premiere I really don't understand why my University is making me use this software for the first year when I'm paying £16 a month to own Premiere. It's crazy. I'm having a learn a whole new piece of inferior software for no reason.

Magnus Storm

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I just start using premiere pro but most of the features i don't need so i do most of the cutting and adding text in windows movie maker since it's simple and stable. Picture in picture is done in premiere pro though. I just downloaded Corel Video Studio x7 now for a trial and it looks cool so far. Allmost as simple as movie maker but you have multiple tracks so that you can have picture in picture.