What phone to use for vlogging?

Kaylee

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I just started vlogging recently. The camera I'm using isn't that great though and it's huge and hard for me to carry around. It's a Fujifilm Finepix S8630 and was a christmas present a few years ago. It's not a dslr though, and even though it's adequate, I would like something that's easier to carry. So I'm thinking of using a cell phone.

I have $100 to spend on a used cell phone, but I can't decide which one to get. So far I'm looking at the Nokia Lumia 1520 or the LG G4. I've seen good reviews of the Nokia, so I am really leaning toward that one. Do you guys have any suggestions? Are there other phones out there that have good video and decent audio that I could buy used for $100? Eventually I would like to get a better mic for the phone, but until then I want one that has a decent mic. Thanks!

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I had the Sony Xperia Z1 and liked it since it had good video, good battery life and it was also splash proof so didn't have to worry too much when using it. Sadly I can't remember what the audio quality was like, but I guess if you can find a phone from the Sony Z-series (I think Z5 was the last version) in the budget, it might be a worthwhile purchase.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
The majority of our shots are done on iphones (we use multiple), one is an old iPhone 4S which still produces great video - You can find one for well under $100.

TwoWords

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
There's a dedicated mic you can buy made by Sony that'll plug into the Sony Z phones that you can turn to face you or your subject. It's great for vlogging.

oscarflowers

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
an ipod 5 or 6 is one of the cheapest options if you don't 100% need a phone specifically

Aryssa

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
My honest suggestion is to save up more money for an even better phone. If you can ofcourse

think of it this way:
if you buy a phone with amazing quality you can keep vlogging and recording videos with it for longer than some medium quality phone. I was saving up for quite some time to get an iPhone 7 because I heard amazing things about its camera and it paid off. I still havent recorded any vids with it but I will once my tripod arrives in the mail.
I wouldnt be able to do that with my old phone so my point is to save up even more money and spend it on a better phone (+ win for you because phones have multiple uses, not just camera)

Reactions: darkstarmedia

MostShockingEP

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Last year I got Galaxy s7, and now I used to record simple videos, most of the times it easier for me to record with S7 now rather than with my gopro her4 black or dlsr 600d. My GF now records makeup videos with S7 edge she also got last year. My latest video on youtube networks is actually recorded with S7 you check the video to see if you like the quality of it.

ItsBecky

Internet Idiot who loves making people laugh
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
The Samsung S8 is expensive, but it's a really good phone for photos and video, it has several HD settings for the front and back camera, the highest being QHD, I'm really impressed with it and when I start vlogging in public I'm planning on using it (I wasn't impressed with one video I did on it which went on youtube but it turns out I just had it on lower quality video settings and the lighting also wasn't great in my room) IPhones are good too, my last phone before the S8 was the iPhone 6 and that camera was pretty good (the S8 actually does autofocus while videoing though the iPhone 6 from what I noticed didn't or it wasn't as noticeable) I don't know what the iPhone 7 is like but I was impressed with the iPhone 6 and the 7 is meant to be even better, I completely understand not having a lot of money though, that's the same problem I have with my channel and the equipment I use, you needs lots of views to be able to afford things but you cant get the views and subs without decent equipment haha, good luck with it though!

AustinCollings

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I just started vlogging recently. The camera I'm using isn't that great though and it's huge and hard for me to carry around. It's a Fujifilm Finepix S8630 and was a christmas present a few years ago. It's not a dslr though, and even though it's adequate, I would like something that's easier to carry. So I'm thinking of using a cell phone.

I have $100 to spend on a used cell phone, but I can't decide which one to get. So far I'm looking at the Nokia Lumia 1520 or the LG G4. I've seen good reviews of the Nokia, so I am really leaning toward that one. Do you guys have any suggestions? Are there other phones out there that have good video and decent audio that I could buy used for $100? Eventually I would like to get a better mic for the phone, but until then I want one that has a decent mic. Thanks!
Personally I wouldn't use a phone for vlogging, here's why:

I have tried it before, and I really don't find it convenient because in the case someone calls me, then the recording stops and ruins the video. If you have $100, honestly I would save it, and I recommend doing one of two things with it. Keep saving and just get a cheaper point & shoot camera, or buy a Joby Gorillapod or something similar. Ever since I got one it is much easier to hold my camera up to vlog (I just held my camera with my hand before), and I can mount my camera almost everywhere now. They make different sizes that hold different sizes of cameras which makes it very convenient for vlogging purposes. Anyways, that was my advice, good luck with your channel and choosing your equipment!